thefunk

UM Hoops Game Threads: Jan 5 - Jan 22

Well well. Knock off numbers 3 and 10 within a few days, both teams in conference. Jeez man, we held Iowa to 67 points, well below their average as the BTN crew said.

INcredible. Great job JB, I'm really appreciating his style.

Huge showdown in Lansing. Huge. For mid season anyway.

Go blue!!!!!

Well well. Knock off numbers 3 and 10 within a few days, both teams in conference. Jeez man, we held Iowa to 67 points, well below their average as the BTN crew said.

INcredible. Great job JB, I'm really appreciating his style.

Huge showdown in Lansing. Huge. For mid season anyway.

Go blue!!!!!

Maybe we aren't Duke, but I love watching Beilein teams play.

I know it's just repeating what the national writers say, but Beilein is a total inspiration. Have a system, stick to your guns, recruit well and practice HARD. Super fun to watch.

It bums me out that we won't be getting four years, and possibly not even three, of stauskas.

It bums me out that we won't be getting four years, and possibly not even three, of stauskas.

I agree, but it's a nice problem to have for the program. I'd rather have 2 years of Stauskas than 4 each from Zack and Stu.

I'd rather have four from Keith appling and adrien payne.

Edited by Shelton

Stauskas may stay. McGary should be back. Irvin and LaVert and Spike will be back...not bad.

Stauskas may stay. McGary should be back. Irvin and LaVert and Spike will be back...not bad.

So what do people think? Now that it's had a chance to shake out for while, is the one year rule saving college hoops by letting the guys in it only for the money go, or just driving the coaches to even be even worse actors because they need to recruit a full reload twice as often?

I kind of like the game being played in the NCAA now. The ratio of non-future NBA guys is now higher even on the best teams, so maybe the pure quality of the game isn't what it was, but for me the fun factor seems to be going up as a fan and alum.

I am pleasantly surprised with how good this team has become this year. It's almost as good as last year's team.

They are up to #10 in kenpom. Iowa remains sixth and msu is eighth.

Kenpom projects a tie atop the big ten between msu and Michigan at 14-4.

This may sound strange, but McGary's injury may have been a blessing in disguise. He's an excellent player, but the offense revolving around him may have been stifling stauskas and Robinson a bit. Going back to a traditional beilein offense seems to have benefitted them.

It's impossible to know.

But it's not unreasonable to suggest that this year's team could better than last year's.

I am just amazed at how good U/M has been in the absence of three draft picks. Nik and LaVert have really opened my eyes, Irvin has been solid, and Morgan/Horford have been excellent role players. Just great teamwork.

Man if Nik left that would be a serious bummer. I'm thinking he'll stay.

Also GRIII has been a much tougher player of late. He was a soft floater last year, drove me nuts, but this year he's really in the thick of things, a lot more opportunistic and physical. I like his game a lot more.

I don't think Stauskas will stay. He is a legit NBA player right now and I am sure he will only continue to grow into his frame. I really hope him and GRIII stay, this team can compete right now. Beilein has done such a good job with these guys. Somehow he has even made Horford and Morgan productive, didn't see that coming.

I also think Stauskas leaves. Shooters are valuable and he'll get some people in his ear telling him he'll go first round. He probably will too.

Either way, its been a fun ride this year especialy of late. Props to Belein for getting them to play together. Lavert has been huge for us, what a revelation. It would be really nice if Walton really took off.

I guess I am not seeing the LeVert other people are seeing. Sure he knocks down some open shots, but he doesn't penetrate well and he fumbles the ball a lot in the lane. So much of the opposing defense is focused on Stauskas that many players are left wide open. He has gotten much stronger, but his ball handling hasn't really improved.

Also not that impressed with levert. He's a decent enough role player and he takes what defenses give him, which is fine. I think he is a bit overconfident and careless (and I thought this before last night's game).

He's fine, but if you take stauskas or Robinson off the floor and expect him to create offense it's not going to happen.