Tigerfan76

9 IN A ROW!!!

Originally posted by Tigerfan76

Anyone still doubting Larry Brown?

I don't doubt, I only question the firing of Carlisle.

I never doubted Brown. But it's funny, supposedly Jerry West said that with Brown you will wonder what the heck is going on and then suddenly, after about 30 games it will all start to make sense. Check the number of games the Pistons had played when the winning streak started.

And though people are talking about the defense, it has actually been the offense that has begun to gel. The Pistons assists during the winning streak are up significantly. (I had the numbers somewhere but can't seem to find them. ) This is where Brown is making a difference but we will see how the Pistons continue to execute when they play some tougher teams that actually play defense.

Gotta admit though, seeing Brown on the sideline kind of reminds me of a Chuck Daly back there. I think the ones that are still questioning the firing of Carlisle should start to realize that Brown will push us to the next level. Carlisle maxxed out the talent on this roster. He did a wonderful job. But he wasn't a teacher, and he definitely did not know what to do with young players. He didn't even let rookies participate in practice much, let alone games. If Carlisle were here Darko would not even be seeing the floor, let alone practicing at any great length.

I think Brown, although painful to watch the first half of the season, may possibly be the reason we may go to the Championship this year, and maybe even string a few together!

You never know. Malone is hurting, Shaq is hurting, Kobe is now out at least 5 games (sprained shoulder), so the Lakers would not have home court advantage. Minnesota is looking real good, but I don't think they can match up with San Antonio. The West will beat eachother up, and if the Pistons make it to the championship, with their bench I feel that we may have a shot at the championship.

I may be overly optimistic but I can see it happening!

I think the ones that are still questioning the firing of Carlisle should start to realize that Brown will push us to the next level.

I don't mean to single you out, I see a ton of other people in the media and what not saying the same thing. I just wan't to know why Brown has what it takes? Minus one championship in college, what has he ever won in the pro's? I mean Brown is a good coach and all, and if Joe felt he was the right guy, then I am with him, he does seem to know what he is doing. But I just don't see how he has 'what it takes' more so the anyone else. He hasnt won anything.

It is easy to see that he has not won anything.

The realism is, that before he came to the Pistons, he always took over a team that was a losing team. And he turned all of them into winners. He never stuck around long enough to fulfill the championship coach role.

When he took over this club he was quoted as saying pretty much that this is the last place he wants to coach and that he wants to win a string of championships here.

This is the first club that he has ever taken over that had a winning record. At first he started slowly, as did the Pistons. But he has said time and time again that it takes at least 30 games for him to know his team, and his team him.

Since that 30 games have you seen how the Pistons are doing? They have a 9 game winning streak, which is nothing to laugh at, considering there have been good opponents in that stretch.

To answer your question on why Brown will lead us to a championship is hard because he really never has done so on a professional level. All I can say is you have to believe, which I do. There is something different about these Pistons than the past two years where they had 50 win seasons.

I hope that is suffice for ya. I don't know how to explain it any better. :)

To answer your question on why Brown will lead us to a championship is hard because he really never has done so on a professional level. All I can say is you have to believe, which I do. There is something different about these Pistons than the past two years where they had 50 win seasons.

I hope that is suffice for ya. I don't know how to explain it any better. :)

Hey dont worry about it. I just think its odd that everyone, including me, thinks he is better equipped to win us a championship then Rick was. I was just tossing it out there and hoping someone could give me an ansewr for my own feelings.

I dont think we were going to win one with Rick, and I do feel we are in a better position with Brown. But I cant give you one solid reason why :classic:

I questioned the firing of Carlisle too, and still think he is a very good coach and will improve. But I suppose Dumars saw greener grass on the other side of the fence. Only time will tell, but it is starting to look like a good decision. The defense is still there and the offense has improved. I am glad, however, that Rick has a decent team to work with, even though I don't want him to win it all.

I saw the first part of the 9th win in a row, and then had to hit the hay because I was collapsing. What a pleasure it was to read the morning paper, and to read what you guys had posted during and after the game.

I still question the firing of Carlisle, but as a supporter of the guy that shouldn't be too shocking.

Nine in a row is exciting. No doubt about that. But as we are often asked to be cautious about the lulls don't get too excited about the peaks either (unless it's game time and then I think the fan in you should go wacko). The Pistons are making changes to their offense and I think are actually on a second stage with Brown in terms of doing that.

- First he tried to get them to look inside almost for all their offense - a type of game he likes.

- Now we seem to be incorporating some of what the players have done well in the past with that inside game. And with Billups it's become apparent he's adopting more of his scoring mentality again at the PG spot.

Here's the concern that people aren't looking at long term. We are just learning our offense and may finally be getting full-cylinders out of it. Now it's time for the NBA to adjust to that - and they will. NBA coaches are darn smart and learn quickly what teams do well and what they are doing. That's especially true during seven-game playoff series when you get a chance to focus directly on a team. That's when we will get the answers to our offense more than we will during the regular season.

What we have left in the regular season people aren't going to be able to exclusively adjust to what we do (just as we can't for them) and that's probably why we were able to win 50 games the last few years on sheer talent alone. While some of the players probably feel more comfortable posting inside more than they did in the past (Williamson being the exception here who always was comfortable) will Okur and Wallace and players like that be able to carry a load during a seven-game series inside? Will their presence underneath be enough to create more balance with our perimeter game than we've had in the past? And most important, has this offense solved that serious question we've had in the past about not having someone who can create shots when your offense is in a funk? Or will these added dimensions be enough to override that question?

Those questions can only be answered during the playoffs and in time will be. And those deficiencies in the past years haven't really been overly reflected until the playoffs. That will be true again this season.

One more thing, it's stupid saying this about a HOF coach maybe, but I'll put my neck out there and say it. Is Brown a talented coach - no question. Does he know what he's doing - he has to.

BUT...

He still hasn't won that title like a few people have mentioned in this thread. The NCAA is a different beast. The NBA regular season is a different beast. And so is the NBA playoffs - that's a different beast. Give teams seven games against one team and they'll figure you out. They have 4-7 games over a week to two-week period of watching games and seeing you play right there on the hardcourt. Maybe Brown is able to do what people say Carlisle has been able to do - take advantage of his talent during the regular season when the game is a different animal.

Brown has yet to prove he can take a team to a title during the type of season the playoffs bring - exactly what some criticized (unfairly I think) of Carlisle. Has Brown not had talent? Sure he has. His last few years he had quite a bit of it with Philly, so that theory about him having rebuilding teams during most of those years is kind of bunk to me. He took those Philly teams a decent ways but not to the promised lands. And until he does that - maybe he will with the Pistons - there's part of me that says he may be an HOF coach, but in terms of the NBA he hasn't really proven to me he's adjusted to the type of game that only the NBA playoffs creates.

Remember, NCAA titles are one shot-games only. Maybe you get a few days to prepare but you get that one shot. It's not one team preparing for 4-7 games for 7-14 days like the NBA playoffs. In fact it's more like the NBA regular season.

All that said I'm loving the nine-game win streak.

Don't take my (hopefully) constructive comments as me not enjoying things. I probably have more fun yelling and cheering during games and enjoying the season unfold more than anyone else here. I just sometimes take time to put it in some sort of perspective. And about 95% of that time doing that is spent here so you guys probably see the pessimistic DTroppens than just about anyone in the world.

I know DF worries about me at times.:classic: