PuNk42AE

Whitecaps Home 5th/3rd Home is on Fire

Maybe, but then WoodTV just was pointing out that since it's a system that is out in the elements of an open stadium, they MIGHT have pumped the water out of the lines for the offseason/winter. The first call came out that they needed a fire truck to pump into the Sprinkler System.
That is most likely correct. sprinkler systems in cold storage warehouses are kept dry and under pressure. A loss of pressure on a sprinkler head triggers the water valve to open.

LIstening to the press conference and the guy says they'll absolutely be playing there on opening day. The field and overall structure was not damaged, based on what they know now. As for the damaged area he said it's possible it could be ready but would be difficult. But he sees no reason why they won't be playing there on opening day this year. Absolutely will not change anything for the ASG. It was the suite area and concourse on the 1B side.

That is most likely correct. sprinkler systems in cold storage warehouses are kept dry and under pressure. A loss of pressure on a sprinkler head triggers the water valve to open.

Ha - we had a system like that in one building I worked in that was partially unheated. The main auto sprinkler valve was on the main standpipe where it came through the floor and it was supposed to open electrically if any of the heads detected fire. Every time they came into to test it, it was in a failed state..........

As another moron with a Civil Engineering degree, and recent work on vertical construction projects. I think they'll be playing ball there opening day. This suites may not be complete, but they will be able to use the facility and complete finish work on the new construction during off days and road trips. The type of work required here doesn't actually take that long to complete if the crews are available, and I would expect the Caps management to do everything humanly possible to ensure materials and crews are on scene and ready to go the minute they are allowed to begin.

I'll defer to you here... plus, I'm still an EIT, so what do I know? :happy:

Maybe, but then WoodTV just was pointing out that since it's a system that is out in the elements of an open stadium, they MIGHT have pumped the water out of the lines for the offseason/winter. The first call came out that they needed a fire truck to pump into the Sprinkler System.

No, it's a "dry" system which means it contains compressed air until a head opens up. Once the head opens up, in this case due to the bulb or fusible link releasing due to temperature, the air, which normally holds a valve closed, opens and allows water to entire the pipe. I've seen the system myself.

Interesting note from the MLive story:

Peterson said that when the stadium is rebuilt - indications are that is the team and stadium ownership's preference - officials will require additional hydrants. He also said that a sprinkler system that activated was inadequate.

WOOD TV8

BREAKING NEWS: Plainfield Fire Chief Dave Peterson said the fire at Fifth Third Ballpark started when a work crew was using a heater in a suite.

The heater started a small fire, but the work crew thought they put the small fire out. The work crew left the area after they thought the fire was out; they returned and found the whole place up in flames.

I'll defer to you here... plus, I'm still an EIT, so what do I know? :happy:

In re-reading, I came across a little strong. Not my intent, so my apology. Just intended to offer another view, not come across that way.

Unverified with a source, but 96.1 FM was saying that the Detroit Tigers have offered assistance with the rebuild effort. Unsure if it was financial assistance or whatnot.

I could see them trying to push for the rebuilding/reopening of everything for right around the Allstar Game.

Owner: Whitecaps will play here in April | WOOD TV8

PLAINFIELD TOWNSHIP, Mich. (WOOD) - As the ballpark still smoldered Friday afternoon, one of the Whitecaps' co-founders vowed to rebuild and said baseball would be played here on opening day.

Despite the massive damage done Friday, Whitecaps co-founder Denny Baxter is optimistic. "Twenty years ago, [they] used to say 'If you build it, they will come'. I'd like to believe here once again, if we rebuild it, they will come once again."

Baxter and Lew Chamberlin had a dream about baseball in Grand Rapids more than two decades ago. Their dream became the West Michigan Whitecaps, the Detroit Tigers single A franchise, and their field is Fifth Third Ballpark.

"I have shed a few tears today," Baxter said.

The fire destroyed a dozen suites, all down the right field line, and a clubhouse; however, Baxter was thankful that none of his 30 employees were hurt.

The ballpark is a huge part of West Michigan; more than 8 million fans have gone through the gates. On Friday, some stopped by...drawn by the smoke.

"I think they're going to rally around us and they're going to help us through our difficult time," Baxter said.

Baxter says the Whitecaps will rebuild, though he wasn't certain the job could be completely finished by opening day.

When asked if the team could open on opening day without rebuilding, Baxter said "Certainly we can. The playing field is in perfect condition, the bowl of the stadium does not look to be touched and so we have every intention of playing here in April."

The next step is to work with insurance adjusters. "You get over that initial shock and you say 'Alright, what have we got to do? What's the job? What's the next task?' and we'll set about that," Baxter said.

The Whitecaps 2014 opening day is set for April 8th.

Human error..

From The Detroit News: Space heater likely caused Michigan ballpark fire | The Detroit News

Plainfield Township — Authorities say a space heater used by a work crew likely caused a fire that destroyed multiple suites and a partial roof collapse at a western Michigan minor league ballpark.

Plainfield Township Fire Chief David Peterson says the heater started a small fire Friday morning at the Fifth Third Ballpark, but workers thought they had extinguished it. They returned to find an entire area in flames.

Peterson says a sprinkler system was deactivated earlier Friday because of a false alarm. The response also was slowed by a lack of fire hydrants.

There were no injuries.

The ballpark near Grand Rapids is home to the West Michigan Whitecaps, an affiliate of the Detroit Tigers. Whitecaps co-owner Denny Baxter says officials plan to rebuild in time for opening day in April.

As a fan of the very franchise that used to call North Carolina home, I truly hate this. It does seem like a stretch to believe the park could be ready to go this spring. The league schedules are already published...but...if they could exchange some home/away dates with opponents for the first home stand they probably would be OK. I would like to think the league would take the lead in something like this. Truly a shame but I love the optimism expressed by ownership and as was stated earlier, I'm sure the Tigers will do what is needed to be a help.

Maybe it's just the cynic in me, but I have to laugh because on FB there is a new group called "Rebuild 5/3 Ballpark". Uh, yeah-- it's not like they're just going to leave it a half-destroyed dump for the rest of its existence.

Also have to laugh because apparently the person that started it had a beef yesterday with somebody else that started a similar group-- and was arguing that theirs was the first one made and therefore the best one.

I found it interesting that one news channel found the one host family who was kicked out of the host family program to interview as the host family spokesperson.

Maybe it's just the cynic in me, but I have to laugh because on FB there is a new group called "Rebuild 5/3 Ballpark". Uh, yeah-- it's not like they're just going to leave it a half-destroyed dump for the rest of its existence.

Also have to laugh because apparently the person that started it had a beef yesterday with somebody else that started a similar group-- and was arguing that theirs was the first one made and therefore the best one.

Which one was labeled the "Official" one?

Which one was labeled the "Official" one?

Not sure truthfully. I saw one had sprung up, and spent maybe five minutes reading comments. Haven't joined or been back since.

53.jpg

Nice to see the driver of the fire truck sitting at the first base dugout knew not to drive across the field. He followed the warning track like he is supposed to do!

I'm 100% confident they will rebuild VERY QUICKLY (we have seen contractor trucks already on the grounds) and will make this a marketing and promotions tool. The spin machine these guys can produce will be awesome.

Nice to see the driver of the fire truck sitting at the first base dugout knew not to drive across the field. He followed the warning track like he is supposed to do!

Holy cow-- I hadn't noticed that he didn't drive across the field!

And now they can put in a proper ballpark organ too. Time to get ride of the trumpet guy.

Pleasepleasepleasepleaseplease...

I guess those guys had never been taught 'fire watch'. When I was in refineries, every time flame or any ingnition source was used a 1 hr watch had to be set afterward exactly to make sure there wasn't combustion lurking somewhere. Its a good concept for anywhere/anytime a fire occurs where it isn't supposed to.