PuNk42AE

Whitecaps Home 5th/3rd Home is on Fire

I don't know if that's realistic. First there has to be an investigation, that's probably a couple of days to weeks right there. Then they have to clear the debris, which can't be removed until the investigation is final. I am sure the field itself is fine, but I am betting they at least start their season elsewhere (maybe Grand Valley State's field). I am sure they will play there this season, but not at the start....

There are pictures now from the field with the fire toned down and it actually doesn't look too bad. The seats along the first base line are all in tact, and even the stone facade for concession stands seems to be in tact. It is the suites and attic all along the first base line that are pretty much bare. The railings are standing from the suites, though. The damage doesn't appear to be as bad as it could have been. Everything from home plate down to the RF line in the suite level is gone, but that seems to be it.

As for potential solutions of places to play, there aren't any in the area. GVSU seats only about 250 and there are no lights. Cornerstone just built a spectacular new facility but it seats only 500. The "Art Van Sports Complex" is currently being built in nearby Rockford, maybe 10 minutes away, but it is not expected to have its championship field (which will seat 1,100) done before the professional season begins.

They could rebuild in time.... it's not like it's a skyscraper.

99 days from today is opening day. I think they could get it done if they had, say, 75 days. I'm sure the Caps and the Tigers organization will spare no expense in getting as much help as possible with finishing it in time for the season. The Whitecaps ownership is VERY aggressive and forward thinking in their approach and seem to get things done when needed. Heck, the new video board in center field was built in a matter of 1.5 months, I believe.

Its not exactly a pole building either.

Maybe, but then WoodTV just was pointing out that since it's a system that is out in the elements of an open stadium, they MIGHT have pumped the water out of the lines for the offseason/winter. .

Good point. If the water lines are in unheated areas, which they almost certainly are, they either have to be drained, filled with anti-freeze (expensive) or electrically traced (heated) and then insulated (also expensive). My bet would be on option 1.

It's not like they are going to start rebuilding tomorrow. There has to be an investigation to see what started it. There has to be a structural investigation, and they may end up having to tear some more of it down before rebuilding. Yeah, they can get it done, but it won't start right away and being winter won't speed up the process either.

It's not like they are going to start rebuilding tomorrow. There has to be an investigation to see what started it. There has to be a structural investigation, and they may end up having to tear some more of it down before rebuilding. Yeah, they can get it done, but it won't start right away and being winter won't speed up the process either.

Correct. If the integrity of the structure is in question, that will add a whole new set of problems.

Doesn't Battle Creek have a vacant minor league park right now?

Correct. If the integrity of the structure is in question, that will add a whole new set of problems.

Doesn't Battle Creek have a vacant minor league park right now?

It's not fit for professional baseball anymore. The Battle Creek Bombers play there, a summer-league team, but it is a POS stadium. I've worked the high school baseball championships there the last three years and it is straight garbage. Falling apart everywhere. Even the high school championships this year, which were already scheduled for Battle Creek, are now being moved to Michigan State.

Plus, it's the same distance away from GR as Lansing is, in which case you might as well just play at the Lugnuts stadium.

It's not fit for professional baseball anymore....

Neither is 5/3 at the moment... we're talking about a stopgap measure here, not a permanent move.

Plus, it's the same distance away from GR as Lansing is, in which case you might as well just play at the Lugnuts stadium.

True... I have no idea how they'd deal with it, but I wouldn't be surprised if a full slate in Lansing is a possibility.

Yeah, I don't see how they're anywhere close to done rebuilding by April. Such a shame.

What is your professional experience with rebuilding baseball stadiums?

Neither is 5/3 at the moment... we're talking about a stopgap measure here, not a permanent move.

True... I have no idea how they'd deal with it, but I wouldn't be surprised if a full slate in Lansing is a possibility.

5/3rd in its current state is more fit for baseball than C.O. Brown Stadium is. Believe me. Haha. At C.O. Brown, even the grandstands are falling off their brackets on individual seats, the facade above home plate is losing pieces of wood that are hanging down, the outfield wall has gaps in it that could probably fit a baseball through them if hit in the right spot, the press box only has two boxes in it, each about 4 feet wide and 5 feet deep and one of them is used to run the scoreboard, which you can't read half of anyway. At least the bathrooms are nice, though. Haha.

What is your professional experience with rebuilding baseball stadiums?

same as everybody else's. The minute I disagree with someone who does have experience building them then you'll have a point. right now we're just a bunch of morons on the internet.

wow, that's intense

Went to a game there a few years ago, it was a great time.

same as everybody else's. The minute I disagree with someone who does have experience building them then you'll have a point. right now we're just a bunch of morons on the internet.

As a moron with a Civil Engineering degree, I'd say it's highly unlikely given the circumstances that they'll have this ballpark fixed in less than four months, which is what it would take to get it back for the first pitch of the season. Just my opinion of course, but I just don't think it's gonna happen, especially if the structure of the park was damaged.

It appears as if all the seats are ok. They could easily just clear out that area/clean it up and play ball there, even still using the seats. They lost about 1/3 of their concession stands around the stadium and half their suites. Still very playable.

As a moron with a Civil Engineering degree, I'd say it's highly unlikely given the circumstances that they'll have this ballpark fixed in less than four months, which is what it would take to get it back for the first pitch of the season. Just my opinion of course, but I just don't think it's gonna happen, especially if the structure of the park was damaged.

As another moron with a Civil Engineering degree, and recent work on vertical construction projects. I think they'll be playing ball there opening day. This suites may not be complete, but they will be able to use the facility and complete finish work on the new construction during off days and road trips. The type of work required here doesn't actually take that long to complete if the crews are available, and I would expect the Caps management to do everything humanly possible to ensure materials and crews are on scene and ready to go the minute they are allowed to begin.

Yeah, I don't see how they're anywhere close to done rebuilding by April. Such a shame.

Well, they built the park in 11 mo from groundbreaking to opening, it isn't all destroyed, any damaged part of the stands that are in the excavated bowl or set at grade require no substructure repair to simply reinstall, and no-one said they have to start the season with all 9,000 seats in service.