PuNk42AE

Whitecaps Home 5th/3rd Home is on Fire

It has gotten much bigger. Live stream can be viewed here: Grand Rapids News | Breaking News, Breaking Weather, Local News, Lakeshore News, School Closings at your fingertips!

It seems to have engulfed almost that entire first base line of suites right now. They're on live on TV right now with shots from the park. I was just there two days ago for their Christmas Lights show in the parking lot and I wouldn't be surprised if the millions of lights they have set up is hooked in to a power source near that area. It is also being reported that fire trucks are having a tough time getting in, which I would assume is because of that christmas light setup because they entirely cover the parking lot there. This is scary right now.

Wow crazy! I've never been there for a game but went to several tryouts there. Hopefully the FD has arrived and are able to minimize the damage.

From the extent of the damage, there's no way it will be repaired before the beginning of April when the season starts. Will be interesting to see how it is handled for the Whitecaps. From some reports, the fire seems to have gotten down in to the seats at some parts.

I was wondering the same thing, the Seats wouldn't be hard to get ready by the time, but if it takes out the whole 1B side it will be interesting what they end up doing for this year.

The live stream is amazing. I just spoke with a guy who was an engineer at the company who installed the fire sprinkler system and he said the attics above the suites were sprinkled. It makes me wonder if they were having frozen pipe issues because the whole structure is on fire at this point.

doesnt look good the firefighters water doesnt seem to be doing anything watching the video

A couple reports on Twitter saying that collapsing of the entire structure is "imminent" and I also saw a report saying some firefighters are being evacuated from the scene. This sucks. A huge part of West Michigan and the West Michigan economy.

Looks like it's collapsing

BdEgLqtCMAEqGRN.jpg:large

That is really not good. They're going to lose a ton of revenue because there is no way those can be rebuilt before the season.

Paul Wezner ‏@TigsTown 1m

Latest TV quote from @WOODTV... "it almost looks like the fire is out, because there's nothing left to burn"... horrible...

One of the fire chiefs just said that the fire started in a Suit, moved into the attack and then move quickly through the attic and that the sprinkler system wasn't stopping it. He also said that the Roof was very unstable and that's why they didn't put any firefighters into the building to fight it.

One of the fire chiefs just said that the fire started in a Suit, moved into the attack and then move quickly through the attic and that the sprinkler system wasn't stopping it. He also said that the Roof was very unstable and that's why they didn't put any firefighters into the building to fight it.

There are some lawyers out there drooling right now.

There are some lawyers out there drooling right now.

Maybe, but then WoodTV just was pointing out that since it's a system that is out in the elements of an open stadium, they MIGHT have pumped the water out of the lines for the offseason/winter. The first call came out that they needed a fire truck to pump into the Sprinkler System.

And I would like to be the first to welcome the Plymouth-Canton Whitecaps.

One of the co-owners of the team already got contacted and said that they will rebuild and be playing ball there this spring.

One of the co-owners of the team already got contacted and said that they will rebuild and be playing ball there this spring.

I'll believe it when I see it...

It'll be a "Bring your own lawn chair" facility.

It didn't make it to the center of the building, the Press Box/Ticket Office/3rd Base Line is fine. Smoke damage of course, but the 1B line is collapsed. Looks like it might be even between 1B and Home Plate.

I don't know if that's realistic. First there has to be an investigation, that's probably a couple of days to weeks right there. Then they have to clear the debris, which can't be removed until the investigation is final. I am sure the field itself is fine, but I am betting they at least start their season elsewhere (maybe Grand Valley State's field). I am sure they will play there this season, but not at the start....