Sign in to follow this  
michblk

Former Red Wings-Do you think these players are good enough to make the Hall of Fame?

I'm the bubble trying to figure out if some of these former wings players are good enough for the hall, especially the goaltenders. What do you guys think? Is there a magic number for goals or wins? I know Alfredsson and Hossa are still adding to their totals.

Daniel Alfredsson 426 goals

Sergei Fedorov 483 goals

Dominik Hasek 389 wins

Marián Hossa 434 goals

Curtis Joseph 454 wins

Mike Modano 561 goals

Chris Osgood 401 wins

Pat Verbeek 522 goals

Mike Vernon 385 wins

I think you can honestly make a good case for everyone on that list. I agree that Hasek and Modano are slam dunks, and I think they get voted in this year (their 1st year of eligibility). I think Fedorov has a good case because of his Hart Trophy.

The bottom two on your list are probably going to have the toughest time, are they even on the ballot anymore?

Hasek is like Pedro Martinez. He doesn't have the accumulated numbers like some other HOF candidates, but he was so much better than anyone else at his peak that no one will argue he doesn't belong because of his relatively low win total. He's probably my all time favorite non-lifelong Red Wing.

7 straight Vezinas. That's crazy, and it's not like baseball where there are two if every major award given.

Hasek is like Pedro Martinez. He doesn't have the accumulated numbers like some other HOF candidates, but he was so much better than anyone else at his peak that no one will argue he doesn't belong because of his relatively low win total. He's probably my all time favorite non-lifelong Red Wing.

7 straight Vezinas. That's crazy, and it's not like baseball where there are two if every major award given.

When he was with the Sabres it was "Dominick and the 20 dwarfs". I don't think anyone who followed the game in his era doesn't know why his win total isn't higher.

Thank you for your opinions. As for Verbeek and Vernon dropping off the ballot, I really don't know who is on the ballot or if they reconsider them after some time off the ballot.

BK

Thank you for your opinions. As for Verbeek and Vernon dropping off the ballot, I really don't know who is on the ballot or if they reconsider them after some time off the ballot.

BK

To be honest, I'm not sure how it works with the hockey hall of fame, but I think it's going to be tougher and tougher for Vernon and Verbeek given the influx of huge names eligible for the HHOF in coming years. They cap it at 4 male athletes max and a sampling of HHOF eligibles for the next few years:

2014: Hasek, Modano, Forsberg, Osgood

2015: Lidstrom, Pronger

And among those still waiting: Lindros, Rob Blake, Kariya, Andreychuk, Tkachuk...so it'll be tough.