Stormin' Norman

Jim Schwartz Fired

There's no way that they hold him in a meeting for going on an hour now only to fire him.

I think he's staying and they fire the assistants and the meeting is basically discussing him putting together a new staff, have to make the playoffs next season etc. etc.

I have a bad feeling they're gonna keep Schwartz as well, and fire Linehan...that'd be a step up from last year's firings of the 4th tier coaching staff.

Of course there will. There should be every year. If not then why bother watching? We have some good pieces. It is not like we are dumpster divers...and even then hope is all you have as a fan.

I have been over and over this year in and year out since the late 80's, but I still maintain hope every year.

Hype and hope are different. It's weird because I'm not like that with any other team. Other teams show they are good consistently at least for awhile, when they are actually good. I think there's a lot of hype and blind hope behind the Lions, which is a byproduct of being super bad for super long, and football being the number one sport. I'm a fan, and want them to do well, but I just have no faith that they'll make good decisions and create a winner. So why watch? I dunno, but I still do.

I wonder if today's meetings consist of Bill Ford Jr. gathering information about what went wrong from front office, scouting, coaching staffs, to be used over the next few days in making a decision.

I would like him to announce firings ASAP, but it seems as if he is mulling question of whether an entire housecleaning is warranted.

The meeting has been going 40 minutes now. This spells doom I think. I am guessing they fire Linehan and Schwartz keeps his job.

In huge minority, but I could accept that.

I wonder if today's meetings consist of Bill Ford Jr. gathering information about what went wrong from front office, scouting, coaching staffs, to be used over the next few days in making a decision.

I would like him to announce firings ASAP, but it seems as if he is mulling question of whether an entire housecleaning is warranted.

The $10 million owed to Schwartz is probably a major factor as well. From a business standpoint the Lions have very little reason to fire Schwartz, as Ford Field will sell out again next year regardless of who the head coach is.

He gone...

ALLEN PARK -- Jim Schwartz won 10 games during a surprising run to the playoffs in 2011. But he won just 11 more over the past two seasons, and the Detroit Lions ran out of patience.

The club wasted no time executing the inevitable, and axed Schwartz on Monday morning just hours after his 51st loss in five years, according to ESPN. The move was widely expected after presided over a second consecutive collapse.

He was the sixth head coach to be served his papers, following Tampa Bay's Greg Schiano, Washington's Mike Shanahan and Minnesota's Leslie Frazier on Monday; Cleveland's Rob Chudzinski on Sunday; and Houston's Gary Kubiak during the season.

Schwartz finishes his tenure 29-51 overall, the worst record of any coach in his first five years since John McKay of the expansion Tampa Bay Buccaneers.

More at the link...

so the question is....did anyone else get canned besides the coaches

Mayhew and the rest of the front office will remain the same until Bill Ford Jr. is calling the shots.

Glad he's fired. I had a bad feeling they wouldn't. Hopefully Linehan goes...wouldn't be upset if Mayhew is gone either but I can live with just Linehan as the other one that gets fired.

Yes, please give me Whisenhunt. I'd love both Cleveland coordinators if they are let go as well, or Chud at OC.

With the offseason we had though, you have to keep the front office. We seem to have a strong team.

Wisenhunt would be awful. No thanks.

Yeah, who wants a guy that has succeeded everywhere he has been and completely turned around Warner and Rivers career.

Who would be a better hire in your opinion? Please don't tell me O'Brien or Kelly because there's no reason to believe that they are more qualified than Whisenhunt.

Wisenhunt would be awful. No thanks.

Why? QB guy, from arguably the best run organization in sports and took another sorry, hopeless franchise to a SB. What else could you want on a resume?

Lewand and Mayhew are holding a press conf at 2pm. So, guess who stays...those two

Yea!!!

And there was much celebrating... And the people did feast upon the lambs and sloths, and carp and anchovies, and orangutans and breakfast cereals, and fruit-bats...

Lewand and Mayhew are holding a press conf at 2pm. So, guess who stays...those two

Totally fine with that. Maybe i'm in the minority but i like what Mayhew has done especially as of late.