Stormin' Norman

Jim Schwartz Fired

For those criticizing Jr's hires. He mucked around until he finally hit on Alan Mulaley…and he's been very good for Ford Motor Company.

So, I think his track record in hires is better than his Dad's

Junior also hired Matt Millen and Jim Schwartz.

I wasn't saying it should be a carousel of QB's. But the threat has to be there sometimes to get players to focus and improve. It's not there for Stafford so he feels no pressure to get better.

Except for the fact that he's a football fan, like us, and isn't content with sucking. The players want to win more than we do. Saying professional athletes (aside from a select few outliers) need to be bench to feel pressure to get better is absurd.

Junior also hired Matt Millen and Jim Schwartz.

Jr.'s not perfect, but he would have fired Millen earlier. Also, Alan Mulaley saved the company from a global crisis…so, yeah…he's got more black in the ledger still.

Jr.'s not perfect, but he would have fired Millen earlier. Also, Alan Mulaley saved the company from a global crisis…so, yeah…he's got more black in the ledger still.

Um - I think in 2009 Jr had more important things to worry about than spending a whole lot of time on the Lions. And wouldn't Mayhew have brought on Schwartz?

Um - I think in 2009 Jr had more important things to worry about than spending a whole lot of time on the Lions. And wouldn't Mayhew have brought on Schwartz?

Yeah, I concede that the Millen idea was Jr's idea in the first place though. He's NOT responsible for his Dad being under Millen's spell for the entire 2 terms of George W Bush.

Jr, also had some bad hires for FOMOCO…like I said, he mucked around.

Yeah, I concede that the Millen idea was Jr's idea in the first place though. He's NOT responsible for his Dad being under Millen's spell for the entire 2 terms of George W Bush.

Jr, also had some bad hires for FOMOCO…like I said, he mucked around.

Nasser was the big disaster and Jr, who up until that time probably didn't have the juice to pull the plug on a CEO by himself, did the spadework to collect the family proxies needed to overrule that board's choice and can Nasser within 2 yrs. His bad hire was himself, and to his credit he realized he was out of his depth by '06 and canned himself.

His bad hire was himself, and to his credit he realized he was out of his depth by '06 and canned himself.

Which is hard to do. I keep reading they're on the fence with Schwartz, I really don't see why.

Dave Birkett ‏@davebirkett 5h

Didnt know that RT @MegatronsEgo: Schwartz has the worst record of any coach in first 5 years (29-52) since John McKay of the expansion Bucs

I would bet that Sr. wants to keep Schwartz and keeps wondering why Matt isn't around to refresh his drink**

**amiright kids of alcoholic parents?

The longer this takes this morning, the more worried I am they are bringing him back. This should not even be a discussion, fire his worthless self.

Yep. The longer this goes on the more it seems like they will bring him back. This is the Lions, so that would make sense.

The longer this takes this morning, the more worried I am they are bringing him back. This should not even be a discussion, fire his worthless self.

Yep, that's how i feel too.

I have come to expect the worst possible outcome with the Lions and this is no different.

Any other organization, and he would have been fired by now.

I simply cannot believe that anybody thinks that a new HC is going to make a winner out of this team. What have Lions fans failed to understand after 55 freaking years of failure?????

Man...I'll admit it: They completely got me this year. I've been a fan my entire life and I think that's made me as cynical as the next Lions fan. But the way this season broke down, I really thought this was the most talented Lions team I could remember and they were well on their way to locking down a high play-off seed. Hell, I didn't look at one mock draft the first half of the year. Going 2-6 down the stretch against teams with poor records and blowing six fourth quarter leads just seems unfathomable. That's why it gets me when people complain about the "same old Lions." It's never the same old Lions...The team always seems to find new and completely creative ways to kick their fans in the groin.

I simply cannot believe that anybody thinks that a new HC is going to make a winner out of this team. What have Lions fans failed to understand after 55 freaking years of failure?????

Because, as always, next season has nothing to do with the past 55 years. There is no curse. The team has never had talent, now they have talent and bad coaching.

davebirkett Dave Birkett

Lions WR coach Tim Lappano just walked briefly out of the building. Wouldn't stop and talk but said "no" when asked if he heard anything yet

Make a damn decision already.

He better get fired.

The really aggravating part is that there will be all kinds of hope again next year even if he is still fired...guys like karsh and anderson and caputo will be on the radio waves hyping the lions up like they did before the start of this season and half way through. I think many of us fans that have been through this over and over and over and over wanted to believe, but were very hesitant to. When Valenti started the 11-5 train, because all the usually good teams in the league had fallen apart, I'm sure many of us were still apprehensive about buying in, just becuase the lions don't ever win in the 2nd half of the season, and even those those teams were playing badly, they were still teams that the lions usually don't beat. Pitt, NY Giants, Baltimore, etc.

It is so frustrating to be a lions fan. You really cannot get excited about this team until it's the 2nd half of the season and they are still winning games, unfortunately. Next season they look like they're going to have a tougher schedule than this year. The only hope there is in my view, for some optimism, is if they hire a new coach and/or front office that has a strong resume. If they fire Schwartz and hire another newbie, how can anybody get excited about that?

We want a winner here so bad, but how many times do we have to be dragged through the mud over and over and over...ugh just aggravating...

If the Lions don't make the playoffs next year, that will be 6 full seasons with Stafford. Will people really still be feeling like he's got 'all kinds of talent?' At what point do most 'experts' say that a player is what he is at QB position? how many seasons? Where was brady and Peyton Manning in the 6th season of their career? I bring them up for comparison becuase Stafford was taken first overall and that is the expectation. If we should compare him to the next tier of QBs, then where were those QBs in the 6th season of their careers? I just think there's a ton of blind hope and faith in this team, that they're more talented than they really are, that Stafford is more talented than he really is, and we are another year in, everybody is another year older, and time is ticking. If you compare the talent to what they do in the 2nd half of the season when the games matter more, when everybody is making a playoff push, then the lions are still 'awful' becuase they barely win.

I could have sworn I heard schwartz say yesterday in the post game that 8-8 was a 'good record'. Yes, i could have sworn he said that. Not an average record, he said "a good record". The context was "I wish we could have gotten to 8-8 which is a good record in the NFC north". uhhhhh well i guess if you compare that to CHI and GB...i guess...but that's a stretch.

Just so frustrating.

The meeting has been going 40 minutes now. This spells doom I think. I am guessing they fire Linehan and Schwartz keeps his job.

The meeting has been going 40 minutes now. This spells doom I think. I am guessing they fire Linehan and Schwartz keeps his job.

Vomit..

The really aggravating part is that there will be all kinds of hope again next year even if he is still fired...guys like karsh and anderson and caputo will be on the radio waves hyping the lions up like they did before the start of this season and half way through. I think many of us fans that have been through this over and over and over and over wanted to believe, but were very hesitant to. When Valenti started the 11-5 train, because all the usually good teams in the league had fallen apart, I'm sure many of us were still apprehensive about buying in, just becuase the lions don't ever win in the 2nd half of the season, and even those those teams were playing badly, they were still teams that the lions usually don't beat. Pitt, NY Giants, Baltimore, etc.

It is so frustrating to be a lions fan. You really cannot get excited about this team until it's the 2nd half of the season and they are still winning games, unfortunately. Next season they look like they're going to have a tougher schedule than this year. The only hope there is in my view, for some optimism, is if they hire a new coach and/or front office that has a strong resume. If they fire Schwartz and hire another newbie, how can anybody get excited about that?

We want a winner here so bad, but how many times do we have to be dragged through the mud over and over and over...ugh just aggravating...

If the Lions don't make the playoffs next year, that will be 6 full seasons with Stafford. Will people really still be feeling like he's got 'all kinds of talent?' At what point do most 'experts' say that a player is what he is at QB position? how many seasons? Where was brady and Peyton Manning in the 6th season of their career? I bring them up for comparison becuase Stafford was taken first overall and that is the expectation. If we should compare him to the next tier of QBs, then where were those QBs in the 6th season of their careers? I just think there's a ton of blind hope and faith in this team, that they're more talented than they really are, that Stafford is more talented than he really is, and we are another year in, everybody is another year older, and time is ticking. If you compare the talent to what they do in the 2nd half of the season when the games matter more, when everybody is making a playoff push, then the lions are still 'awful' becuase they barely win.

I could have sworn I heard schwartz say yesterday in the post game that 8-8 was a 'good record'. Yes, i could have sworn he said that. Not an average record, he said "a good record". The context was "I wish we could have gotten to 8-8 which is a good record in the NFC north". uhhhhh well i guess if you compare that to CHI and GB...i guess...but that's a stretch.

Just so frustrating.

Of course there will. There should be every year. If not then why bother watching? We have some good pieces. It is not like we are dumpster divers...and even then hope is all you have as a fan.

I have been over and over this year in and year out since the late 80's, but I still maintain hope every year.

Lions were the only team in the NFL to finish with a plus points differential and have a losing record.