Jonesy

Coaching Staff wish list?

Rivera was his defensive coordinator during the Super Bowl year' date=' and his defenses in between were pretty middle of the road (which is why Marinelli was made defensive coordinator) I'd argue his second best defense was the 2010 year.

More than that though, Tampa 2 is all about defensive line technique. I'd want Marinelli if we go that direction.[/quote']

Middle of the road? The Bears defense was #1 in the league in 2005 and #3 in 2006. That's middle of the road?

They were similar under marinelli but were also middle of the road in at least one of those years. The point being, the "defense" is Lovie Smith's defense, not Marinelli's.

And it helps to have Urlacher, Briggs, and Tillman no matter who your defensive coordinator is.

we all know that Schwartz will go somewhere else and be older and wiser and win a SB

I just realized someone is not losing his job.

Duggan turns to cronies first | The Detroit News

His first round of appointments suggest our concerns were well-placed. Duggan so far is building a team that looks like a set of retread tires.

His first major addition was Tom Lewand Sr. as head of development. He and Lewand go back nearly 30 years to when both were working for McNamara. Lewand has been Duggan’s personal attorney and was an outside counsel for the DMC when the mayor-elect ran the hospital system.

Oh, so accountability is the most important criteria in Detroit

Ian Rapoport ‏@RapSheet 7m

Note on #Lions: The word is Bill Ford Jr. is making the call on coaches & front office, not his dad William Clay Ford (the patient one).

ProFootballTalk ‏@ProFootballTalk 7m

A clean sweep could be coming in Detroit A clean sweep could be coming in Detroit | ProFootballTalk

So, do the Fords want to enrage the new mayor by firing the son of the new mayor's lawyer and chief crony?

Middle of the road? The Bears defense was #1 in the league in 2005 and #3 in 2006. That's middle of the road?

They were similar under marinelli but were also middle of the road in at least one of those years. The point being, the "defense" is Lovie Smith's defense, not Marinelli's.

And it helps to have Urlacher, Briggs, and Tillman no matter who your defensive coordinator is.

I am not talking about 2005 and 2006, I am talking about 2007 and 2008 - in between Rivera and Marinelli. And while the defense is Lovie Smith's - he runs a traditional Tampa 2 from the Tampa tree.

Ian Rapoport ‏@RapSheet 7m

Note on #Lions: The word is Bill Ford Jr. is making the call on coaches & front office, not his dad William Clay Ford (the patient one).

ProFootballTalk ‏@ProFootballTalk 7m

A clean sweep could be coming in Detroit A clean sweep could be coming in Detroit | ProFootballTalk

Keeping Mayhew is not a matter of patience, it's a matter of respecting performance. Mayhew deserves to keep his job.

Greg Roman (49'ers OC) is still my not Jon Gruden-Tony Dungy-Bill Cowher number one candidate. Pete Carmichael (Saints OC) has probably moved up to the next spot on my list.

Now that the Browns have fired Chud, I say call Norv Turner about fixing Stafford and the offense....guess it depends on who the head coach is though.

Greg Roman (49'ers OC) is still my not Jon Gruden-Tony Dungy-Bill Cowher number one candidate. Pete Carmichael (Saints OC) has probably moved up to the next spot on my list.

Weird, they seem to hate him over there and are always talking about how he can't manage a passing offense. Not sure that's a good fit with us.

FWIW, if the Lions go the college route, both Art Briles and Brian Kelly would be good choices, IMO. Both have high octane offenses that can utilize the pass as the main factor and have creative offensive playcalling abilities. Many people haven't seen that with Kelly at Notre Dame, but at GVSU/CMU/Cincy he was an offensive mastermind for the most part. He knows where his talent is and utilizes it. At Notre Dame, he kind of turned the play calling over to Chuck Martin, who is more conservative in his approach. I think both coaches are the "disciplinarian" type that the Lions need. Kelly is more of a no-nonsense guy on the sidelines, while Briles I think is a no-nonsense kind of guy off the field.

I really don't care who they hire. I just want to see the Lions as a consistent winner for once in my life.

Based on Mayhews Press Conference' date=' I would be shocked if they hire a college coach without significant professional experience.[/quote']

One of the main things said in the press conference was that the new coach must change the culture of the Lions so maybe they want a fresh face instead of an ex NFL coach.

Edited by nd1377

Oh boy...

The Majors Detroit

Matthew Stafford says he would like input in the #Lions coaching search.

Yeah, Stafford needs to realize that he was part of the problem with his unwillingness to change his approach at all.

One of the main things said in the press conference was that the new coach must change the culture of the Lions so maybe they want a fresh face instead of an ex NFL coach.

Hard to change an NFL locker room without experience in an NFL locker room.

Keeping Mayhew is not a matter of patience' date=' it's a matter of respecting performance. Mayhew deserves to keep his job.[/quote']

Maybe he'll finally be able to draft a WR or a CB who is any good?

Mayhew's draft record is very spotty, as has been addressed numerous times on this site.

Yeah, Stafford needs to realize that he was part of the problem with his unwillingness to change his approach at all.

And he either needs to let KellyB know they're going to be spending a lot more time in MI or dump her.

Keeping Mayhew is not a matter of patience' date=' it's a matter of respecting performance. Mayhew deserves to keep his job.[/quote']

Aside from Brian Xanders who was hired (reportedly) by Ford Jr. everyone in the front office has remained since Millen's tenure. What has Mayhew done to keep his job? Put together a team that has been to one playoff game (and was subsequently blown out). I know that many on the boards and in the media say that we have so much talent but our record against teams > .500 is putrid and we consistently have poor showings against "less talented" teams. Schwartz deserved part of the blame, but to place our horrible 5 year run solely on Schwartz's shoulders is misguided.

Hopefully Xanders' continues to have good drafts and our front office balances out, but based on Mayhew's 4 years of decision making, I'm less than impressed and I don't think he has done enough to keep his job. If our team is as talented as many say, we should have been able to win more games...it's as simple as that. A talented team lead by a subpar coach should still be able to win more games than we did.