Jonesy

Coaching Staff wish list?

Ha! You have a much higher impression of the Lions front office than I do, and than I think is warranted by their performance.

Given what we know, it seems just as easy to conclude that they actually have just shown up at the office hurling darts. Or, better analogy, they are in a game of musical chairs and watched the chairs fill up, never planning for the music to stop.

This may get even worse if: 1. Xanders leaves for Miami, and 2. It turns out that Xanders actually does deserve most of the credit for the solid draft and player acquisitions last season.

We don't know jack. We know Whisenhunt went to the Titans, we have zero other knowledge, none.

We don't know jack. We know Whisenhunt went to the Titans, we have zero other knowledge, none.

Ridiculous. We know that the lions only had eyes for wisenhunt and he was by far the one and only option to lead the Lions to victory.

They only did the other interviews to give stafford some experience conducting interviews for when he takes over the GM role.

Ridiculous. We know that the lions only had eyes for wisenhunt and he was by far the one and only option to lead the Lions to victory.

They only did the other interviews to give stafford some experience conducting interviews for when he takes over the GM role.

I thought they did the interviews so Stafford could pick the brains of these guys and decide who he wanted to hire as OC and DC. After all, Stafford has the coaching job locked up, doesn't he?

Agree with TP fan.

Lions fans crack me up sometimes. The first reaction to anything that appears to have gone the wrong way is to declare incompetence.

I also find it interesting that many felt like wisenhunt was the hands down best option. Evaluating coaching or managerial skill is nearly impossible for fans.

We'll know in a year whether the person the Lions hire was a good choice.

Blah blah blah that's what message boards are for. I get it. Everyone is entitled to their opinion.

So here is mine.

Wisenhunt is a fraud and would have been a terrible choice for the lions. Lions management got lucky that he turned them down, saving them from their own incompetence.

You know what cracks me up? When people assume that an organization is being well run, and give it the benefit of the doubt, despite the fact that it has not been within spitting distance of success in over half a century, even with the advantage of having had two of the top players of all time at the skill positions of RB and WR.

The burden of proof is on you people to demonstrate that this organization's actual performance in the W-L column somehow belies some underlying skill or competence that you purport exists within the front office.

It is comical to see supporters of the Lions front office twist themselves in rhetorical knots to defend what may be the worst franchise in the NFL.

Jimmy Johnson.

I would be very happy, excited, etc. if the Lions hired Jimmy Johnson.

This is a question for everyone:

Since Wayne Fontes was fired, have you been excited, happy, etc. about any coach that the Lions hired?

I think the only one I was excited about and gave me hope for the Lions was Mariucci.

SanFransico is a game away from the Super Bowl for the second year in a row. Add onto that they turned around the career of one quarterback (Alex Smith) and developed another one (Colin Kapernick) into top QB's in the league. These guys, though mostly on Kapernick, have gotten them to a Super Bowl and in Kaps case are possibly taking them to one more. Add onto that, this season the 49'ers had the 7th ranked total offense in the league and last season the 8th ranked total offense. Someone please tell me why Greg Roman doesn't get any consideration here. I know he isn't a former head coach but if you're going to consider "Mr. Wake Forest, Mr. 2-14" Jim Caldwell and "Mr. .400 Winning %" Mike Munchack, then why not give Roman a dial on the phone?

Since Wayne Fontes was fired, have you been excited, happy, etc. about any coach that the Lions hired?

I think the only one I was excited about and gave me hope for the Lions was Mariucci.

I don't think Schwartz was a bad hire. He got an 0-16 team to the playoffs in three years. I wasn't that disappointed in the Bobby Ross hire either. A lot of people are projecting the errors of Matt Millen onto the current regime.

You know what cracks me up? When people assume that an organization is being well run, and give it the benefit of the doubt, despite the fact that it has not been within spitting distance of success in over half a century, even with the advantage of having had two of the top players of all time at the skill positions of RB and WR.

What cracks me up is the notion that there is no state between not having any plan at all and having a well run organization.

The burden of proof is on you people to demonstrate that this organization's actual performance in the W-L column somehow belies some underlying skill or competence that you purport exists within the front office.

There's a difference between feeling like the Front Office isn't really getting the job done and feeling like this are a bunch of idiots who are simply throwing darts at the wall.

There's a difference between feeling like they wanted Wiz and missed out on him and feeling like they had targeted Wiz and were so such he was coming that they rebuffed anyone else who was a caliber guy.

It's not that we're thrilled with the Lions and think they are doing everything great and just have the wrath of God popping up to inexplicably smiting them at the worst times. But there are those of us who also won't introduce massive amounts of conjecture and using minimal information to paint a broad picture of total incompetence and utter lack of even minimal ability.

I dunno... I tend to be a slappy so I always have high hopes for the next new guy. Even if they aren't guys I initially wanted I usually start to get excited about them as the season start nears.

I'm not sure I'd be excited about a JJ hire. It's been over a decade since he coached. I gotta think today's NFL is a little different from what was back in the late 90s. He's also 70 years old.

But of course, if they do hire him I'll eventually start getting excited about it. If a guy like JJ comes in and gets some really good coordinators who are current with the game it might work.

On a side note... does San Diego have anyone in their front office who's a relatively recently retired player who coached an exhibition game somewhere? That might make for a good coach.

I dunno... I tend to be a slappy so I always have high hopes for the next new guy. Even if they aren't guys I initially wanted I usually start to get excited about them as the season start nears.

I'm not sure I'd be excited about a JJ hire. It's been over a decade since he coached. I gotta think today's NFL is a little different from what was back in the late 90s. He's also 70 years old.

But of course, if they do hire him I'll eventually start getting excited about it. If a guy like JJ comes in and gets some really good coordinators who are current with the game it might work.

Dick Vermeil was out of football for a long time before successfully coming back. Joe Gibbs returned and led Washington to the playoffs. I don't think Jimmy Johnson is the retro coach you would go for though. I would be interested in Mike Holmgren.

I'd prefer Kubiak to Caldwell/Munchak if those were the choices. He got a lot out of Matt Schaub and you know he'll get a strong run game going.

I'm hoping the ex-coach is Gruden. Billick would be fine too. I don't buy Jimmy Johnson one bit. The first two have kind of slobbered over this job on air.

Agree with TP fan.

Lions fans crack me up sometimes. The first reaction to anything that appears to have gone the wrong way is to declare incompetence.

Well, what would your choice of words be to describe the possibility of the Lions hiring Jim Caldwell?

A previously failed head coach who was about to be fired from his job as an Offensive Coordinator. What a candidate.

It would be like my favorite college team hiring a coach who was mediocre at Ball Sta....oh. Damn.

Since Joe Schmidt was fired, have you been excited, happy, etc. about any coach that the Lions hired?

FIFY

Billick is only 59. That's not all that old in fb coach terms. I'd take him over the other options out there at the present moment.

Me too. He would be the guy I would go after.

Billick is only 59. That's not all that old in fb coach terms. I'd take him over the other options out there at the present moment.

I'm not sure why Billick doesn't get more attention. He won a super bowl with Trent Dilfer and was a perennial contender with weak quarterbacks. He also revived the careers of quarterbacks in Minnesota.

Agree with TP fan.

I also find it interesting that many felt like wisenhunt was the hands down best option. Evaluating coaching or managerial skill is nearly impossible for fans.

We'll know in a year whether the person the Lions hire was a good choice.

Blah blah blah that's what message boards are for. I get it. Everyone is entitled to their opinion.

So here is mine.

Wisenhunt is a fraud and would have been a terrible choice for the lions. Lions management got lucky that he turned them down, saving them from their own incompetence.

He's a fraud? What is that based on?

He helped mold Heath Miller and then Ben Roethlisberger's careers and revived careers that were sinking in Warner and Rivers.

He has had a long line of success with QB's and i think we can all agree that Stafford is the key to the Lions future.

There's more merit to Whisenhunt being a good fit for the Lions than a fraud.

I'm not saying that Whisenhunt is the next Bill Walsh but he certainly seemed like the best fit for the Lions of the group that has been discussed as possible candidates.

If Whisenhunt isn't the best option of the available candidates then who is in your opinion?

He's a fraud? What is that based on?

He helped mold Heath Miller and then Ben Roethlisberger's careers and revived careers that were sinking in Warner and Rivers.

He has had a long line of success with QB's and i think we can all agree that Stafford is the key to the Lions future.

There's more merit to Whisenhunt being a good fit for the Lions than a fraud.

I'm not saying that Whisenhunt is the next Bill Walsh but he certainly seemed like the best fit for the Lions of the group that has been discussed as possible candidates.

If Whisenhunt isn't the best option of the available candidates then who is in your opinion?

I thought all 4 weren't all that compelling to be honest. If losing Whisenhunt means the Lions re-open the search, then this is a win for the Lions.

If they hire Caldwell/Munchak/Kubiak it's because they think that person is the best choice going forward. And we will have to wait to see how that plays out.