Jonesy

Coaching Staff wish list?

Since its obvious that Swartz is going to be fired. What is your wish list for a new coach? Mine is small. Gruden, nuff said but doubtful, David Shaw from Stanford, Rex Ryan, he gets more out of his players than he should, Charlie Strong from Louisville, just have a feeling be is gunna be the next big college coach to make it in the NFL. Thoughts?

Gruden would be first because he has two things I am really looking for.

1 - He took another coach's talented team and won a Super Bowl with them in the first year.

2- If he could turn Brad Johnson in to a Super Bowl QB and make Rich Gannon a great QB, imagine what he could do with Stafford.

But also on my list

Tom Coughlin

Brian Billick

Bill Cowher

I don't want a college coach for their first NFL job. I don't want a coodinator. The name Norv Turner scares the hell out of me as a Head Coach, but I think he could be a good O.C.

I also want Mayhew gone. The reasons? Jhavid Best, Ryan Broyles, Titus Young Sr., Brandon Pettigrew and Darius Slay. All but Titus are good guys, no doubt, but they could have been had in the 3rd round or later. You get 3 of those picks right and the Lions have much more depth.

Gotta be a QB guy. O'Brien,both Grudens, Whisenhunt and Shaw intrigue me the most. I don't see any reason why we shouldn't be able to get one of them.

Guys like BIllick and Cowher are done IMO. I wouldn't hire someone out of the game that long.

Firing Mayhew is madness to me. He has built us one of the top 10 rosters talent wise in the NFL IMO, after inheriting an 0-16 team. If you want to say his biggest weakness is drafting, I can understand that, but I think he did a great job in hiring Xander to run the draft side of things. Good front offices have more than a collection of minds, not just one guy. Picking out particular mistakes is an exercise in futility IMO. His overall resume is quite strong.

I also want Mayhew gone. The reasons? Jhavid Best, Ryan Broyles, Titus Young Sr., Brandon Pettigrew and Darius Slay. All but Titus are good guys, no doubt, but they could have been had in the 3rd round or later. You get 3 of those picks right and the Lions have much more depth.

Putting Pettigrew and Slay on that list isnt fair. Pettigrew is one of the best Blocking tight ends in the league and has helped our offense a lot. And Slay still can be a good corner he is very young and raw.

I wouldn't fire Mayhew at all

Since its obvious that Swartz is going to be fired...

It is? This is the WCF-owned Detroit Lions you're talking about

I think Schwartz might still have his job if he had fired Gunther myself. I think we have more talent than a lot of defenses who rank ahead of us. The Saints come to mind. Look what a DC change did for them. I just don't think he brings anything interesting to the table. He gets guys fired up and playing hard, but he doesn't blitz and he has very vanilla coverage schemes.

Dungy has the Detroit connection. Not clear the top talent would come here until the ownership changes hands and WCF JR can hire Alan Mulaly or his equivelant.

Firing Mayhew is madness to me. He has built us one of the top 10 rosters talent wise in the NFL IMO, after inheriting an 0-16 team. If you want to say his biggest weakness is drafting, I can understand that, but I think he did a great job in hiring Xander to run the draft side of things. Good front offices have more than a collection of minds, not just one guy. Picking out particular mistakes is an exercise in futility IMO. His overall resume is quite strong.

Wasn't it rumored that Xanders was a Ford Jr. hire? Seems odd that a GM coming off a subpar 4-12 year would willingly hire a recently fired GM who could quite easily be seen as Mayhew's replacement.

I understand good front offices are a collection of minds, but aside from this year when Xanders was hired isn't our current collection of minds the exact same minds that were around during Millen's tenure?

And what is so great about Mayhew's overall resume? He had a fantastic trade of Roy Williams during his first year which resulted in Brandon Pettigrew and Derrick Williams, definitely a better return than Roy Williams but also not a world beater trade result. He hired Jim Schwartz who everyone is up in arms about and can't wait to get rid of. Outside of the top 15 picks in the draft he has had a really tough go of drafting. And he has signed a few decent FA acquisitions that other teams passed on (Burrelson, Bush, Quin, Mathis, etc.).

Here is Mayhew's resume, as I see it.

* Hired Jim Schwartz (who the entire fan base has turned on)

* Traded Roy Williams for a 1st and 3rd in what is now considered the worst trade in Cowboy's history and ended up netting us Brandon Pettigrew

* Drafted Stafford and Suh #1 and #2 in his first 2 years, both of whom were seen as can't miss, no doubt prospects.

* Put together a roster that has collectively gone 29-50 (.367 winning percentage)

* Missed on nearly every single second and third round pick he has ever had.

* Signed a few mid level players who have been very mildly successful with the Lions.

I know you, and others keep claiming that we are a super talented team (and I agree we have a few very, very good players), but outside of our top end talent (Johnson, Suh, Stafford to a lesser extent) we don't have the necessary talent across the board to be a successful team. Mayhew's record of 29-50 is a very clear indicator that the team isn't as talented as many believe. If we are as talented as many believe then the only reason we are losing a disproportionate amount of games is because of the coach and "luck", I don't think we have been that unlucky and while I do think coaches are a major factor, I don't think that coaching alone can take a team with a .367 winning percentage into a top 5-10 team over the long haul.

If I thought it could happen, I would take a blank check to Jon Gruden and tell him to name his price. Sadly that is a pipe dream.

I really don't want a college guy unless they are sure it's the next Jim Harbaugh. They need a coach to take them over the top and propell them to the playoffs and beyond. Wisenhunt would be a good get in my opinion as most of the coaches people want are either not the right fit or are not coming out of retirement. Another name may be Lovie Smith.

Dungy has the Detroit connection. Not clear the top talent would come here until the ownership changes hands and WCF JR can hire Alan Mulaly or his equivelant.

Dungy Says No to Coaching Again

Tony Dungy is retired from coaching and he intends to stay that way.

The Jackson, Mich. native was asked on Twitter if he would have any interest in coaching the Detroit Lions if the job becomes available. Dungy simply replied, "No I am done coaching!"

I don't know who the Lions should get. I am not a huge Schwartz supporter right now, but how much can a coach prevent a team from turning the ball over on the playing field? The Lions biggest problem in the second half of the season is clearly turnovers.

Lions coaching rumors: Younger college coach the ideal target?

........One rumor of interest popped up on Christmas Day from Mike Freeman, who writes for Bleacher Report and was previously with CBS Sports. According to Freeman, "several league sources" have indicated that the Lions don't necessarily want to hire a veteran coach from the NFL ranks. Instead, according to Freeman, the Lions would prefer a younger coach from the college ranks......Aside from O'Brien, who else fits the "younger college coach" label? I'd imagine guys like Stanford's David Shaw and Texas A&M's Kevin Sumlin will draw interest from several NFL teams, including the Lions if they change coaches. Perhaps even Auburn's Gus Malzahn or Notre Dame's Brian Kelly could be looked at by the Lions or other teams in need of a new head coach in 2014.

If you could only choose from the coaches mentioned in the article, who would you prefer to be the Lions next head coach:

Bill O'Brien

David Shaw

Kevin Sumlin

Gus Malzahn

Brian Kelly

Lions coaching rumors: Younger college coach the ideal target?

If you could only choose from the coaches mentioned in the article, who would you prefer to be the Lions next head coach:

Bill O'Brien

David Shaw

Kevin Sumlin

Gus Malzahn

Brian Kelly

Brian Kelly would be interesting. He's survived the bad PR of invisible girlfriend and scissor lift.

I absolutely hate that idea with a team like this. We need someone who can come in a win day one, not someone learning the craft.

I'd rather have a guy like Eric Mangini over anyone in college.

David Shaw & Bill O'Brien are the college guys that intrigue me. I'll throw another name out there: Jim Tressel

I absolutely hate that idea with a team like this. We need someone who can come in a win day one' date=' not someone learning the craft.

I'd rather have a guy like Eric Mangini over anyone in college.[/quote']

10-6

4-12

9-7

with the Jets.

5-11

5-11

with Cleveland

Don't we already have that now?

Brian Kelly would be interesting. He's survived the bad PR of invisible girlfriend and scissor lift.

Sorry, having a guy that basically cusses everyone out constantly might not be my pick for a pro team. The college players are stuck with him and have to listen to them because it's so hard for them to transfer, but pro players taking that kind of abuse all the time? Yeah, I don't think so.

FootballScoop Staff ‏@footballscoop 2m

This probably will shock nobody; but heard recently that the Lions have spoken (thru 3rd party) with Bill O’Brien.

What if they don't fire Schwartz?

Then the rumors are correct that he makes 6 million a year and some of his assistants will probably be the scapegoats.

10-6

4-12

9-7

with the Jets.

5-11

5-11

with Cleveland

Don't we already have that now?

I'd argue 5-12 with Cleveland was over performing and his record with the Jets is Pete Carrol-esk. We're talking about a team whose offense consisted of Brady Quinn/Colt McCoy, Jermone Harrison/Peyton Hillis and Josh Cribbs.

Again, there is something to be said about simply having the experience of being an NFL coach. Mangini is a very cerebral coach who has been around winning franchises. I think the fact he was able to step away from the league and reassess from his own experiences is a good quality.

I'd much rather have him than a college coach having to transition to the pro game.

O'Brien is the only college coach I'd have any real interest in.

Wisenhunt is the correct answer here. He has been a success everywhere he has been.

He helped mold Heath Miller and Roethlisberger into what they are today, resurrected Warner's career and did the unthinkable by leading Arizona to the SB then has resurrected Rivers career.

The most important player on this team is Stafford, the main focus should be getting this talented QB's career back on track. I can't think of a better, realistic candidate to do this than Wisenhunt.

Bill O'Brien is still too much of an unknown for me. Anybody could do well in New England (Belichek's coaching tree hasn't exactly been a smashing success elsewhere) and although it has been impressive what he has done in Penn State, it's too small of a sample size.