LooseGoose

2014 Draft

I'd jump on Watkins and Matthews in the first and second in a heart beat.

That would be pretty perfect.

If Watkins is gone, the idea of a guy with Evans' jump ball skills opposite Calvin is pretty intriguing.

Edited by Nastradamus

You sarcastically stated that 'would be just like the Lions to take a WR in the top 10'. Obviously Calvin would not be there at 9 or 10 but taking a dynamic player with no drug problems(Rogers), uninspired(Roy) or just fat, slow and out of shape(M Williams) would be help this team tremendously. If you think Durham is suitable then you are delusional. Watkins and Lee are playmakers with speed and talent and would be tremendous additions to this team. It fits a huge need and makes complete sense. Not sure what your response above means but taken at face value it sounds odd to put it nicely.

Watkins is who I want at this moment. Don't want Evans at all.

However Watkins has drug red flags.

Dennard is not a top ten pick. Corners that go in the top ten are big speed burners, not guys who mug receivers in college and get away with it.

Dennard might not even be a first round pick. We'll have to see what he runs.

Amen, brother. Preach to the choir!

Also, Justin Gilbert of OkState is the highest rated corner right now. I'm still all over Lee, and wouldn't mind Sammy Watkins one bit in the first. I can't wait to see them run in Indy.

Big fan of Jace Amaro fwiw. I wouldn't mind him and Pettigrew as a TE combination next year. He seems like more of an Aaron Hernandez type(insert joke here).

To be fair, its the physical corners who seem to have the most success these days. Look at Seattle.

Richard Sherman (who I loved coming out of Stanford) was a lower pick, but his size was massive. Browner is a lost cause right now, and is likely done in Seattle due to drugs. Those types of players aren't readily available, and I think everybody in the NFL is looking for the next physical freak at corner. Gilbert has better size than Dennard.

Big fan of Jace Amaro fwiw. I wouldn't mind him and Pettigrew as a TE combination next year. He seems like more of an Aaron Hernandez type(insert joke here).

I am too, but I don't see him getting out of the first round. It's still early in the process, but the Lions might need two TE's in this draft.

The other Lions forums I used to frequent have gone to **** so I'm pleased to see some good discussion here. Does anyone know of a draft site right now that has a lot of scouting reports? Draft Countdown used to be good but the owner has gotten very lazy over the last several years. I know Draft Breakdown is the leader in prospect videos. I guess all I'm looking for is positional rankings and bullet points of positives/negatives. Don't care about Mock Drafts.

So, just to be clear, it seems like a majority of the posters here would love to see them take Watkins even though a number of posters also love to criticize Mayhew for taking high risk guys with previous drug issues. What is it that you really want? If you want them to take Watkins then you have no business ever criticizing the Titus, Leshoure, Best, etc. picks.

So, just to be clear, it seems like a majority of the posters here would love to see them take Watkins even though a number of posters also love to criticize Mayhew for taking high risk guys with previous drug issues. What is it that you really want? If you want them to take Watkins then you have no business ever criticizing the Titus, Leshoure, Best, etc. picks.

Did Young or Best have drug problems?

Has anyone heard any news on Young? Is he trying to get better psychologically?

Richard Sherman (who I loved coming out of Stanford) was a lower pick, but his size was massive. Browner is a lost cause right now, and is likely done in Seattle due to drugs. Those types of players aren't readily available, and I think everybody in the NFL is looking for the next physical freak at corner. Gilbert has better size than Dennard.

Physical freaks are always nice, but I think physical corners are the way to go right now. You have to get a good jam at the line and I think they are letting a little more go downfield these days in terms of WRs and CBs battling for position.

The other Lions forums I used to frequent have gone to **** so I'm pleased to see some good discussion here. Does anyone know of a draft site right now that has a lot of scouting reports? Draft Countdown used to be good but the owner has gotten very lazy over the last several years. I know Draft Breakdown is the leader in prospect videos. I guess all I'm looking for is positional rankings and bullet points of positives/negatives. Don't care about Mock Drafts.

I like Walter football. They aren't perfect, but they usually have what you are asking for.

I am too, but I don't see him getting out of the first round. It's still early in the process, but the Lions might need two TE's in this draft.

I probably wouldn't go with 2 rookies, but we do need 2 TEs most likely. I'd like 2 bodies ahead of Fauria,Williams and Dickerson. If Pettigrew is one of them, so be it, but I'd like to look at all alternatives at the least.

Did Young or Best have drug problems?

Has anyone heard any news on Young? Is he trying to get better psychologically?

Should have just left off the drug issues part of that as I meant for high risk to include those with injuries, drug, and behavioral problems.

The difference is that Watkins is a supreme talent and arguably the best WR in the draft, which is a position of need. With the exception of Best, the other guys didn't fit that mold. They were talented but even if you took away their injury/off field issues they didn't have tremendous upside. They were likely to be solid players at best, where as Watkins has the potential to be a superstar. Which is why I didn't question the Best pick(I wouldn't have traded up though) because if he stayed healthy he had the potential to be one of the premier weapons in football. But the other 3(Leshoure, Young, Broyles) I did question, because even if everything checked out and they had no injury or off field issues I didn't think any of them had that great of upside. Certainly not worth rolling the dice on, the reward just wasn't worth the risk.

Maybe not Leshoure, but that's probably not true on the 2 WRs. At least relative to their draft position. Stafford really needs a WR or TE like Broyles who can catch 80-100 intermediate passes for him. Young didn't set the world on fire as a rookie, but he outproduced most 2nd round WRs in recent memory and Stafford seems to have missed him since then. I did want Cobb with that pick though. 2nd rounders hit at less than a 50% rate and none of the 4 would be out of the league or close on talent/production alone. You could argue that Mayhew took bad risks there, but IMO his talent evaluations were spot on and that's worth something. Even Leshoure has shown that he can at the least be a Chris Ivory/Brandon Jacobs type, which has solid value.

As far as Best, we pretty much agree except that I didn't mind the trade up. If you think he "he had the potential to be one of the premier weapons in football.", you can't be afraid to go get him IMO.

I was against Best and Broyles. That concussion Best took when he fell on his head and the other dozen he had was a pretty darn good predictor of future events. Broyles was coming off an injury and I thought a reach.

Ill take character risks over injury. In last years thread I wanted Mathieu in the 3rd. I wouldn't have taken him in the 2nd though.

The difference is that Watkins is a supreme talent and arguably the best WR in the draft, which is a position of need. With the exception of Best, the other guys didn't fit that mold. They were talented but even if you took away their injury/off field issues they didn't have tremendous upside. They were likely to be solid players at best, where as Watkins has the potential to be a superstar. Which is why I didn't question the Best pick(I wouldn't have traded up though) because if he stayed healthy he had the potential to be one of the premier weapons in football. But the other 3(Leshoure, Young, Broyles) I did question, because even if everything checked out and they had no injury or off field issues I didn't think any of them had that great of upside. Certainly not worth rolling the dice on, the reward just wasn't worth the risk.

Young was considered a top speed WR, which is exactly what we were looking for to compliment Megatron and our TE's - I was very excited about adding him and, had he not gone crazy, his role was ideal for what the Lions needed. Though I was not as huge a fan of the other two, Leshoure was rated by many as the top back in the draft and a top 30 talent and Broyles was meant to replace Burleson and compliment Calvin and Young as an intelligent slot player.

Young was considered a top speed WR' date=' which is exactly what we were looking for to compliment Megatron and our TE's - I was very excited about adding him and, had he not gone crazy, his role was ideal for what the Lions needed. Though I was not as huge a fan of the other two, Leshoure was rated by many as the top back in the draft and a top 30 talent and Broyles was meant to replace Burleson and compliment Calvin and Young as an intelligent slot player.[/quote']

I don't remember Young being that sought after. I just did a quick google search for 2011 NFL draft rankings and of the few that I've seen Titus isn't in any of the top 50. Now obviously those aren't gospel but he strikes me as somebody we could've gotten in the 3rd round.

Young was considered a top speed WR' date=' which is exactly what we were looking for to compliment Megatron and our TE's - I was very excited about adding him and, had he not gone crazy, his role was ideal for what the Lions needed. Though I was not as huge a fan of the other two, Leshoure was rated by many as the top back in the draft and a top 30 talent and Broyles was meant to replace Burleson and compliment Calvin and Young as an intelligent slot player.[/quote']

LeShoure was always a big back who ran like a little back, even at Illinois.

And what the rest of the league seems to have learned that Mayhew has not is that you can find a running back without trading multiple draft picks to get one. Maybe the Joique Bell experience will mean we won't have to trade half our draft for one this year?

Young wasn't highly rated because he was a psycho. That's why he ended up at Boise State in the first place.

I remember Wes Bunting who ran the scouting department of National Football Post had Fairley top 5, Leshoure top 25 and Young top 40.

...Admittedly, Bunting left NFP and entered into an entirely different profession after this draft. So...

Edited by Stormin' Norman

Another reason we took Young was we worked with him at the Senior Bowl. He already had a good working relationship with Shaun Jefferson...no matter how the results turned out.