LooseGoose

2014 Draft

They have a lot more players at DB, the jury is still out on how talented they are or if they are able to stay healthy.

IMO, the jury is still out on Bentley and Slay. especially Slay because he was hurt just when he started to get better. Greenwood did enough to warrant a shot in training camp.

I'm wonder if Houston might get cut?

I know you like Mayhew, but I wouldn't mind someone new running the show. Mayhew I could take or leave, Schwartz needs to go.

I wouldn't be furious is Mayhew stayed, but if Brian Xanders was given the full reigns, I wouldn't complain about that move either.

If we are 9th or 10th I can see us having the first choice pick of either CB or WR. Not a bad position to be in at all. The picks before should hopefully be filled with QBs, Clowney, Barr, Matthews and Robinson

Dennard, Evans, Watkins, Lee or maybe even Mack now to really make our linebackers top drawer. Those seem to be the early front runners but this is never a fine art

Dennard is not a top ten pick. Corners that go in the top ten are big speed burners, not guys who mug receivers in college and get away with it.

Dennard might not even be a first round pick. We'll have to see what he runs.

They have a lot more players at DB, the jury is still out on how talented they are or if they are able to stay healthy.

IMO, the jury is still out on Bentley and Slay. especially Slay because he was hurt just when he started to get better. Greenwood did enough to warrant a shot in training camp.

I know you like Mayhew, but I wouldn't mind someone new running the show. Mayhew I could take or leave, Schwartz needs to go.

I was actually encouraged by Slay at least showing improvement as the year went along, and cornerbacks often take time to develop. I also think Green/Greenwood are probably fine as your 4th and 5th cornerbacks.

But, that means you have an unproven #2 and a couple of depth guys. Do you hope Houston can rebound or that Mathis has another year in the tank? I don't know.

It's a tough call, they obviously need serious help at WR/TE. What are the offensive playmakers outside of RB right now? Calvin and.....throwing it to Fauria in the red zone? That's about it.

The Lions certainly have a lot more talent than they often have in the past, but in the areas where they don't have that talent...they don't have anything.

The jury is out on our dbs, but we know how bad our wrs are.

The jury is out on our dbs' date=' but we know how bad our wrs are.[/quote']

Doc! My leg is broken!

and by the way, can you do anything about that knife in my gut?

I'm not sure what other options they have with Houston. He just signed a 5 year, $25 million last off season and cutting him wouldn't save any money off the cap for next season so they probably will have to roll the dice on him having a bounce back season.

Burleson's an obvious candidate to get cut b/c it saves $5.5 million. Other than that, they don't really have any big cuts that could free up a bunch of cap room. Delmas could have his contract extended to lessen his cap hit for 2014 and I imagine that Suh will have his contract re-structured in order to significantly lessen his $22 million cap number for 2014. Beyond that, they'll probably make cuts to shave off a million or two for players like Leroy Harris and Montell Owens and then depth guys like Jason Jones, Hillard and CJ Mosley could be in trouble b/c they would each open up $1.5 million+.

I'm not sure what other options they have with Houston. He just signed a 5 year, $25 million last off season and cutting him wouldn't save any money off the cap for next season so they probably will have to roll the dice on him having a bounce back season.

Burleson's an obvious candidate to get cut b/c it saves $5.5 million. Other than that, they don't really have any big cuts that could free up a bunch of cap room. Delmas could have his contract extended to lessen his cap hit for 2014 and I imagine that Suh will have his contract re-structured in order to significantly lessen his $22 million cap number for 2014. Beyond that, they'll probably make cuts to shave off a million or two for players like Leroy Harris and Montell Owens and then depth guys like Jason Jones, Hillard and CJ Mosley could be in trouble b/c they would each open up $1.5 million+.

As much as I like Pettigrew, I don't think he is brought back for the money was making. If he were to take a significant pay cut, ok... but I don't see him doing that.

The Lions clearly need to obtain a #2 WR somehow, and I think they'll draft one in the first or second round, depending on what kind of front office changes are going to happen.

As much as I like Pettigrew, I don't think he is brought back for the money was making. If he were to take a significant pay cut, ok... but I don't see him doing that.

Agreed -- I believe Pettigrew's days as a Lion are over.

This is exactly where I'm at. I think Houston will be cut, IF his cap hit is palatable. Since he just signed a 5 year deal, it might be cheaper to give him a second year. Supposedly his foot was hurt so maybe he bounces back. He's only average though, so I don't mind moving on.

I think Jonte Green should be included with the other 3. I'm intrigued to some degree by all 4 young CBs. Bring back Mathis or a similar veteran and add one more body,either a draft pick or post June 1 addition.

The Lions clearly need to obtain a #2 WR somehow, and I think they'll draft one in the first or second round, depending on what kind of front office changes are going to happen.

#2 and #3. You can't ask any QB to throw 2,000 yards to guys like Burleson(seems done), Pettigrew and Durham. Let alone Ogletree,Fauria etc. I'm intrigued by Fauria, but he showed me nothing between the 10 yard lines. He seems like he can't run a route or block anyone. I'd like 2 TEs in front of him and Williams next year.

Yah, I think this is exactly right. Suh will be extended and it will probably save about 8 million. That and the Burleson move will give us a little wiggle room plus draft picks. I think Mosley survives, but I think the rest of the guys you listed are toast. Hilliard might actually bring you a 6th rounder or something though.

We need the cap to go up if we want to do anything major. Not that we necessarily do.

Edited by Nastradamus

With Evans, Watkins and Lee all projected to go around #10, it's going to make a lot of sense for the Lions to draft a WR. There's currently not a CB worthy of that pick. Trading down is always a possibility, but chances are the Lions are going to want to take one of those 3 guys.

I like the idea of taking Manziel if he's there, but I'm probably the only one. Hard to pass on a QB with his potential at #10, especially when you're not satisfied with your current one.

I'd be pretty shocked if its not a WR or TE. Ebron could be in that range too. A trade back might make sense if Sammy is gone.

I believe right now the Mock's have the Lions going Lee with their pick. But that was before yesterday picking #12

Yeah, Calvin would be there at 9 or 10.

You sarcastically stated that 'would be just like the Lions to take a WR in the top 10'. Obviously Calvin would not be there at 9 or 10 but taking a dynamic player with no drug problems(Rogers), uninspired(Roy) or just fat, slow and out of shape(M Williams) would be help this team tremendously. If you think Durham is suitable then you are delusional. Watkins and Lee are playmakers with speed and talent and would be tremendous additions to this team. It fits a huge need and makes complete sense. Not sure what your response above means but taken at face value it sounds odd to put it nicely.

I like the idea of taking Manziel if he's there, but I'm probably the only one. Hard to pass on a QB with his potential at #10, especially when you're not satisfied with your current one.

I have not heard one pro scout who thinks Manziel's game translates to the next level. I have heard that his arm strength pales in comparison to Russell Wilson and Colin Kaepernick, who as mobile QBs are his closest comparisons. And his decision making off the field has proven to be poor. I do not see him as a leader of grown men.

I have not heard one pro scout who thinks Manziel's game translates to the next level. I have heard that his arm strength pales in comparison to Russell Wilson and Colin Kaepernick, who as mobile QBs are his closest comparisons. And his decision making off the field has proven to be poor. I do not see him as a leader of grown men.

I see divided scout opinion on Manziel. I like his potential a lot more than the other top QBs in this draft. Off-field issues are a concern, but he has a competitive streak that a lot of guys that have trouble commanding the locker room (Cutler, Harringtion come to mind) don't have. Coming to the Lions would be a good situation for him too, since he wouldn't be the guy from day 1.

He's not a slam dunk, but neither is any of the other QBs.

Blake Bortles is the best QB in this draft' date=' IMO, but someone will fall in love with Manziel. Add in Bridgewater and Carr and I see four top 10 qbs.[/quote']

Maybe we can finally pull off the long desired "trade down for additional picks" maneuver? Nah.....lol

Maybe we can finally pull off the long desired "trade down for additional picks" maneuver? Nah.....lol

You couldn't give me enough picks (reasonably) to trade away from Sammy Watkins. He's an elite talent who could fall due to demand for QB and pass rush.

Blake Bortles is the best QB in this draft' date=' IMO, but someone will fall in love with Manziel. Add in Bridgewater and Carr and I see four top 10 qbs.[/quote']

I believe I saw him in the latest Mock going #2 to the Jags

You couldn't give me enough picks (reasonably) to trade away from Sammy Watkins. He's an elite talent who could fall due to demand for QB and pass rush.

I thought Watkins/Lee/Evans were all bunched pretty closely so there might be a way to move down a bit and still get 1 of them if all 3 were still there at 10. You think Watkins is that far above the other 2?

I believe I saw him in the latest Mock going #2 to the Jags

Jacksonville at 3 shouldn't pass up on him. I think that is a really good style fit.

I thought Watkins/Lee/Evans were all bunched pretty closely so there might be a way to move down a bit and still get 1 of them if all 3 were still there at 10. You think Watkins is that far above the other 2?

I do, I have him in Julio/AJ Green territory. Lee would be my second. It may be the Johnny Football factor, but Evans worries me a bit. I'm a lot more comfortable with Vanderbilt's Jordan Matthews.

Jacksonville at 3 shouldn't pass up on him. I think that is a really good style fit.

I do' date=' I have him in Julio/AJ Green territory. Lee would be my second. It may be the Johnny Football factor, but Evans worries me a bit. I'm a lot more comfortable with Vanderbilt's Jordan Matthews.[/quote']

I'm a big Matthews fan. I'd like to see him in the 2nd/3rd round depending on how things shake out.