LooseGoose

2014 Draft

Well, I'll add my guesses....CB, S, CB, WR, WR, TE, PK, DT and perhaps DE..remember, no 5 th round pick this year due to acquisition of Mike Thomas last year...we'll have to see if there's a new Coach, new direction....the more things change...the more they stay the same...HO HUM !!

Who is the best receiver in the draft? Evans?

Evans reminds me of Kris Durham, so no thanks. He's probably a better receiver, but not by much. The two at the top of the draft are Sammy Watkins and Lee. I think Lee is a little more pro ready right now, but it's close.

Well, I'll add my guesses....CB, S, CB, WR, WR, TE, PK, DT and perhaps DE..remember, no 5 th round pick this year due to acquisition of Mike Thomas last year...we'll have to see if there's a new Coach, new direction....the more things change...the more they stay the same...HO HUM !!

That is kind of naive right there, just throwing positions around, without looking at the talent that is available, or needed. The Lions have just drafted 4 CB's in the past couple of drafts. They aren't great at the area, but not without talent, either. They have needs at WR and especially TE. They will probably need a kicker, and maybe a center, too.

If Lee is available when they pick, I'd imagine that they'd take him. They've tried to build around Stafford with high-end skill position players but Best, Leshoure, Young and Broyles have all been busts for various reasons and have really limited their ability to do that. Bush and Bell are a decent RB combo to offset what happened to Best and Leshoure but they need a lot more help at WR/TE, especially if Burleson is cut and Pettigrew is let go. Thus, given their past selections and philosophy in terms of building the team, I imagine Mayhew will focus a lot of effort on upgrading at the skill positions and hope they don't flame out this time around.

Ideally, they'd also bring in a coach with a track record of developing QB's to help Stafford reach his potential. That's priority #1 in the off season.

That is kind of naive right there, just throwing positions around, without looking at the talent that is available, or needed. The Lions have just drafted 4 CB's in the past couple of drafts. They aren't great at the area, but not without talent, either. They have needs at WR and especially TE. They will probably need a kicker, and maybe a center, too.

Guess I'm naive !!! Sorry if I offended an "Expert" ! I noticed you threw out positions, but perhaps my ideas were too naive ! But , I'll bow to your obvious superior commentary and knowledge, I do hope my naivete will not bother you in the future , I'll limit my commentary to minimize your fragile thoughts and ideas.......Bythe way are the four CB'x Bentley, Greenwood, Green and Slay ?..My all are without problems and settled professionals....one can't stay healthy , two barely dress and one is vastly unproven...guess there can't be an upgrade from that ! How pompous can YOU get ?

The Lions drafted 4 CBs in the past couple of drafts yeah, and two of them have been horrendous whenever they've seen the field, one of them was released off of the practice squad, and another one apparently earned so little trust from the organization that he couldn't play ahead of the two horrendous ones or Don Carey.

Why wouldn't they draft someone who can actually play? CB was probably the biggest reason that they lost games this year. I'm not sure why we'd expect 3rd and 5th round picks like Bentley and company to suddenly step up and become NFL starters.

The Lions drafted 4 CBs in the past couple of drafts yeah, and two of them have been horrendous whenever they've seen the field, one of them was released off of the practice squad, and another one apparently earned so little trust from the organization that he couldn't play ahead of the two horrendous ones or Don Carey.

Why wouldn't they draft someone who can actually play? CB was probably the biggest reason that they lost games this year. I'm not sure why we'd expect 3rd and 5th round picks like Bentley and company to suddenly step up and become NFL starters.

Slay was a second round pick.

They should take the best player available in round one, within reason. If there's a stud CB who falls, then by all means take him. But I still think they should be looking at WR before CB.

one of them was released off of the practice squad

Greenwood? He was signed by the Cowboys off the PS, and then came back to Detroit after not dressing for Dallas. I thought he looked pretty good last game too.

They should take the best player available in round one, within reason. If there's a stud CB who falls, then by all means take him. But I still think they should be looking at WR before CB.

This is correct. Their offense is in worse shape than the defense. It's fatally slow.

A lot of games fell their way so far for draft position. 8 teams have worse records, so they will be in the #9 to #13 range with the other 7-9 teams depending on the outcomes of the Bills and Rams games.

It would be just like the Lions to draft a WR in the top 10. Same mistakes year after year.

It would be just like the Lions to draft a WR in the top 10. Same mistakes year after year.

you're right...Calvin was a terrible decision.

WR is not biggest need. During the "decade of despair," two areas of the Lions were always bad. The OL and the DBs. The OL has been fixed. The DBs have regressed even further. Unless there's reason to believe that a new defensive coordinator would make them better, but Cunningham isn't going to get fired, so.

I know, so that gives them one. They also have: 34 year old Rashean Mathis. The Worst CB in the NFL this year (Chris Houston) and the Bentley/Green/Greenwood trio.

I agree that WR is a big need, but CB is a complete tire fire, and the only thing keeping them from having an excellent defense.

I know, so that gives them one. They also have: 34 year old Rashean Mathis. The Worst CB in the NFL this year (Chris Houston) and the Bentley/Green/Greenwood trio.

I agree that WR is a big need, but CB is a complete tire fire, and the only thing keeping them from having an excellent defense.

Yep. The DL is above average, the linebackers are good, the safeties are average, but the CB group is well below average and it gets exploited every week. It's the reason that the defense can't get off the field on seemingly any 3rd and long, which the DL/LB do a good job of putting opposing offenses in.

Wow...I have not visited this thread this year and can't believe we are drafting as high as 9 or 10.

I actually do consider wide receiver a position of need. Burleson and Ogletree should be gone. Durham is a third or 4th wide receiver. We need either a wide receiver or a stud tight end to take some pressure off Megatron. Corner is more of a need no doubt but it just comes down to who is available at both positions I guess.

It would be nice to hit on a few mid to late picks again this year. That made a huge difference with the team this year.

If we are 9th or 10th I can see us having the first choice pick of either CB or WR. Not a bad position to be in at all. The picks before should hopefully be filled with QBs, Clowney, Barr, Matthews and Robinson

Dennard, Evans, Watkins, Lee or maybe even Mack now to really make our linebackers top drawer. Those seem to be the early front runners but this is never a fine art

Edited by TartanLion

If we are 9th or 10th I can see us having the first choice pick of either CB or WR. Not a bad position to be in at all. The picks before should hopefully be filled with QBs, Clowney, Barr and 1 or 2 others I'm forgetting.

Dennard, Watkins, Lee or maybe even Mack now to really make our linebackers top drawer. Those seem to be the early front runners but this is never a fine art

I have seen a lot of Dennard and he is really good but also really physical and I worry about how he will adjust to how tight pass interference is called in the NFL.

WR is not biggest need. During the "decade of despair," two areas of the Lions were always bad. The OL and the DBs. The OL has been fixed. The DBs have regressed even further. Unless there's reason to believe that a new defensive coordinator would make them better, but Cunningham isn't going to get fired, so.

That's simply not the case. We have a lot more talent at defensive back than we do at wide receiver outside of Calvin. Especially when you consider Burrelson is likely not coming back.

That's simply not the case. We have a lot more talent at defensive back than we do at wide receiver outside of Calvin. Especially when you consider Burrelson is likely not coming back.

They have a lot more players at DB, the jury is still out on how talented they are or if they are able to stay healthy.

IMO, the jury is still out on Bentley and Slay. especially Slay because he was hurt just when he started to get better. Greenwood did enough to warrant a shot in training camp.

I'm wonder if Houston might get cut?

I know you like Mayhew, but I wouldn't mind someone new running the show. Mayhew I could take or leave, Schwartz needs to go.