LooseGoose

2014 Draft

I keep flip flopping over the draft this year, can't make my mind up at all.

Would anybody take Anthony Barr if he was still available at 10 ? I've seen him drop down that low on quite a few mocks. Would be an upgrade to our defence, even if it isn't in the most obvious position of need.

Would anybody take Anthony Barr if he was still available at 10 ? I've seen him drop down that low on quite a few mocks. Would be an upgrade to our defence, even if it isn't in the most obvious position of need.

I don't think he's that good, and he couldn't help us at all. Not a fit at all.

I'm kinda conflicted about the first round too. Currently I'm on the trading down boat but of course you have to find a taker to do that and I don't know if we could. I just don't see a guy that would be a good fit for us that would be worth it at 10 that we couldn't get at 20 which is why I'm starting to get on the Ebron bandwagon even though I'd rather not take a TE. I think he would give us the best value at 10 though assuming something crazy doesn't happen like Mack or Watkins falling to us.

I like Barr, but quite simply, we can do better at 10. He's in the next group of guys IMO. I wouldn't be surprised to see him go 11 though, as Tenn has a huge need and hired his college DC this offseason.

I think we'll have(in addition to the obvious guys that are likely gone) Mack,Gilbert,Evans,Ebron and HCD ahead of him

I doubt it happens, but can't hate them having interest. Watkins has put himself right there with the Julio Jones types as a prospect.

I wouldn't be upset if they ended up with him, but it could also be a ruse on something else they want.

The more i keep looking at all the WR available in the draft, the more I think the Lions could hold off until the 2nd round. Emmanuel Sanders could also be had as a free agent to fill in as a #2 WR.

I like Gilbert, Clinton-dix, or even OL if there is good value there. Ideally Detroit could trade down.

Up until today i had been screaming it has to be a defensive back mainly a corner. But i am 100% sold on Mike Evans now. That kid is a beast. He is a mismatch for ANY #2 corner in the nfl. Its a better version of what Chicago and Atlanta has going on with 2 big, fast, great catching receivers. With them Fauria, and Reggie Bush I'm pretty sure Matthew would break all the passing records.

Up until today i had been screaming it has to be a defensive back mainly a corner. But i am 100% sold on Mike Evans now. That kid is a beast. He is a mismatch for ANY #2 corner in the nfl. Its a better version of what Chicago and Atlanta has going on with 2 big, fast, great catching receivers. With them Fauria, and Reggie Bush I'm pretty sure Matthew would break all the passing records.

Yah, Evans is legit. He has some limitations in terms of his route tree, but IMO he's one of the more bust proof prospects and he's an ideal fit with Stafford and Calvin.

The more i keep looking at all the WR available in the draft, the more I think the Lions could hold off until the 2nd round. Emmanuel Sanders could also be had as a free agent to fill in as a #2 WR.

I like Gilbert, Clinton-dix, or even OL if there is good value there. Ideally Detroit could trade down.

I think we're shooting for better than Sanders to be quite honest.

I can see the Lions trading up, if they are this interested in Watkins. I think the price for #2 is next year's #1, so the Lions probably have already made some decisions on that regard. I would not be against this move.

I can see the Lions trading up, if they are this interested in Watkins. I think the price for #2 is next year's #1, so the Lions probably have already made some decisions on that regard. I would not be against this move.

Draft experts seem to think this year's draft class is significantly better than next year's. Mayhew doesn't have a good track record with trading up, but it may not be a bad idea to use next year's picks to get this year's talent.

I'm a big fan of Watkins, always have been but there's no way that i'd give up next years' 1st + #10 just to move up to get him.

I'd be just as happy getting Evans at 10 and still have the 2015 1st. I think we could very well have a better version of Marshall-Jeffrey with CJ-Evans.

What i don't want them to do is to take Gilbert at 10. He's way too high risk for my liking, like a Dre Bly type although he would give quite a shot in the arm to the return game if he so chooses to return kicks.

Not so sure about Ebron either. We have much bigger needs to fill than tight end and i'm not a fan of taking TE that high in the draft although Ebron has an intriguing skillset.

On another note, it's nice to know that we don't have big offensive line needs going into the draft. I don't remember the last time that i could say that about a Lions draft.

Edited by NYLion

If we give up two firsts, it better be to get Clowney.

If we give up two firsts, it better be to get Clowney.

I'd hate to see them trade up. I suppose if you still have no faith in their drafting ability, but if that isn't changing, we are dead anyway. But a team that needs a lot more good players and more depth can hardly afford to give up high picks for star power - you do that once you are already good and would be cutting your deeper picks. In FB I've always thought that holes hurt you more than all-pros help you.

We have much bigger needs to fill than tight end and i'm not a fan of taking TE that high in the draft although Ebron has an intriguing skillset.

Id argue our two biggest needs are TE (we dont really have one on the roster) and playmaker - Ebron is both.

I'd love to see some stats on the history of teams trading up .. & how that works out. I have a hunch that teams who tend to do that end up regretting it more than not.

Yah, I don't think you ever really regret it if you get value. In this draft though, I think its all about trading down. They say SF wants Evans, I'd let them send us a Julio package. 1st and 2 thirds this year, 1st next year?

Yah, I don't think you ever really regret it if you get value. In this draft though, I think its all about trading down. They say SF wants Evans, I'd let them send us a Julio package. 1st and 2 thirds this year, 1st next year?

It would be nice to find a trading partner to move down. SF needs very few pieces to win a championship so they would be the type of team to do it.

It would be nice to find a trading partner to move down. SF needs very few pieces to win a championship so they would be the type of team to do it.

It would certainly put us in an interesting position. We obviously miss out on the top 10-20 caliber players we are looking at now, but there are a lot of options at 30. There's great value in the 3rd too and it would be fun to go into a year with 2 first rounders.

At 30 you could look to grab Beckham,Moncrief,Cooks or Matthews. A guy like Fuller would be in the equation as well as a few other options. Ryan Shazier? Troy Niklas?

Id gladly take Jimmy Ward at 30, but I think our best bet is a team like Baltimore going after Lewan or someone aiming for Aaron Donald. Those both are probably top 3 talents in your average draft, helps validate an aggressive play.

Im also interested to see where Kyle Fuller goes. In a vacuum, he'd be my top corner - but if I was a GM, Id never draft a player who missed multiple games with an injury in the first. Odds of injury plagued pro career increase dramatically.

Id gladly take Jimmy Ward at 30' date=' but I think our best bet is a team like Baltimore going after Lewan or someone aiming for Aaron Donald. Those both are probably top 3 talents in your average draft, helps validate an aggressive play.[/quote']

Maybe. I think a WR is your best chance this year. Depth or not, the top 3 are greatly separated from the rest. Lewan definitely could do the trick too. Not so sure about Donald.

30 is earlier than I'd be comfortable taking Ward myself. His size concerns me.