LooseGoose

2014 Draft

Now that all hope of the playoffs is gone we can concentrate on the traditional high point of the year for a Lions fan - the draft!!

Other than coaching where do we seek help 1st?

I see us looking:

DB

WR

LB

C

Seems about right to me.

Do we have James Jones yet? I can't remember if he was just a one year contract or more.

Though honestly a coaching hire is more important than the draft. We have a good deal of talent, we need a good captain for the helm.

Now that all hope of the playoffs is gone we can concentrate on the traditional high point of the year for a Lions fan - the draft!!

Other than coaching where do we seek help 1st?

I see us looking:

DB

WR

LB

C

Not sure I would go C that high (not saying it’s not a need, just not that high). All of the others are open.

Hard to pick depending on what BPA is when we pick.

Just for grins, what if Clowney is sitting there when we pick?

Also, I would like to see us take a young QB. Preferably someone with mobility. To me, it is worth investing up to a 4th rounder. (Boyd or Miller maybe)

By my calculations our best position in the draft would be 9th. Worst would be 21st. Still a lot of teams in the range we're in.

Just for grins, what if Clowney is sitting there when we pick?

If Clowney uses a club & swim, clears his hips and accelerates he should be able to get around and escape the Lions drafting him. What do you think, coach? :happy:

Unless Dom retires or someone falls into our lap again like Fairley did, the first pick being either a big #2 WR or a shutdown corner seems obvious. Then again the Lions front office likes to draft BPA, so you never really know.

The good news is that there seems to be a lot of nice WRs and CBs at the top of the draft this year.

If form holds, the Lions will pick the BPA in round one, and then will take a flyer on a fast player at WR/RB/CB with serious injury/mental concerns in round two.

Marquise Lee looks like a really solid pick. They need some energy out there, and he's excellent after the catch.

I really would love Ha-Ha Clinton-Dix and use Delmas as a utility defensive back.

I don't. Not a fan. Safety isn't a position in any need of repair, imo. Maybe a corner, but I really want to see more of Greenwood. They might have a super talent in their own backyard right now.

The Lions need a playmaker at DB or WR. You can continue to wish-upon-a-Bentley/Slay if you want, but chances are you'll be disappointed.

They need a Raiola replacement in the 2nd or 3rd round too.

Most of all, they need someone to make Stafford a better QB. Until that happens, it doesn't matter who they draft.

The Lions need a playmaker at DB or WR. You can continue to wish-upon-a-Bentley/Slay if you want, but chances are you'll be disappointed.

They need a Raiola replacement in the 2nd or 3rd round too.

Most of all, they need someone to make Stafford a better QB. Until that happens, it doesn't matter who they draft.

Yup - they need to find Stafford's Holmgren, or even call Holmgren himself and find out from someone who probably knows who a good QB coach might be.

WR and DB have to be priority number one and two regardless of order. You can always find lineman somewhere so no need to draft one high unless its a can't miss guy. Dennard from MSU would be fantastic if the Lions are high enough to get him. A big playmaking wide out to compliment Calvin is also a must as our offense blows when Calvin can't go 100%.

I'd love to get one of Sammy Watkins (WR/Clemson) or Marquise Lee (WR/USC) in the first round. The Lions are clearly committed to Stafford and they might as well get him all the help they can at this point. If the Football Gods really wanted to smile on the Lions they let Darquez Denard fall to the second round and take over the brain of Martin Mayhew to ensure he picks Denard.

Darqueze Dennard would be a godsend for the Lions and if he was there whenever the Lions pick and they don't take him, it will be an egregious overlook. I'm a Michigan fan and want this kid on the Lions ASAP. If they pass him up, I'll be livid...again.

I like Dennard, but I need to see him run. He's physical, so if he can crack a 4.5 he should be ok. I see that Greenwood posted a 2.9 rating from PFF against the Giants and Ruben Randle, who is a very good receiver. From what I saw in that game, he got in his grill, and was physical at the line, and didn't give up a catch from what I could see. The only thing the Lions can really take from the Minny game is players like Greenwood. He needs to play.

I like Dennard, but I need to see him run. He's physical, so if he can crack a 4.5 he should be ok. I see that Greenwood posted a 2.9 rating from PFF against the Giants and Ruben Randle, who is a very good receiver. From what I saw in that game, he got in his grill, and was physical at the line, and didn't give up a catch from what I could see. The only thing the Lions can really take from the Minny game is players like Greenwood. He needs to play.

Agreed on both counts.

dont care this year

I feel exactly the same way. Who gives a ****? To hell with this stupid team and their stupid GMs and their stupid coaches and stupid players and loser owner. They aren't worth spending time thinking about. Send them to Los Angeles.

Deep down in my heart, when they blew that Pittsburgh game, I just knew this was coming. They teased us on Thanksgiving, but then went right back to being themselves.

You think they'll beat Minnesota? Think again. This team quit after that fake FG failure. They quit. They're poorly coached, they lack heart and have no depth because of spending high draft picks on guys with injury issues.

I refuse to watch on Sunday. And if they don't fire Schwartz, I won't watch them next year.

But what does it matter, they'll just hire another boob to be head coach.

I saw Khalil Mack fall to us in one mock draft. Can't see that happening. Obviously agree on a DB or WR2 unless someone like a Mack falls to us ie a position we are OK in but could upgrade even further

If Clowney uses a club & swim, clears his hips and accelerates he should be able to get around and escape the Lions drafting him. What do you think, coach? :happy:

Nice! Just think of the racing team our DL would make up!

I feel exactly the same way. Who gives a ****? To hell with this stupid team and their stupid GMs and their stupid coaches and stupid players and loser owner. They aren't worth spending time thinking about. Send them to Los Angeles.

Deep down in my heart, when they blew that Pittsburgh game, I just knew this was coming. They teased us on Thanksgiving, but then went right back to being themselves.

You think they'll beat Minnesota? Think again. This team quit after that fake FG failure. They quit. They're poorly coached, they lack heart and have no depth because of spending high draft picks on guys with injury issues.

I refuse to watch on Sunday. And if they don't fire Schwartz, I won't watch them next year.

But what does it matter, they'll just hire another boob to be head coach.

This will be their best game this year. You know, to help their draft position.

I saw Khalil Mack fall to us in one mock draft. Can't see that happening. Obviously agree on a DB or WR2 unless someone like a Mack falls to us ie a position we are OK in but could upgrade even further

Believe it or not, I have heard Von Miller comps on Mack. No way, no how. I would do it, no matter what the price, though. I think he's one of the five best players in this draft, easily.