Shinma

12/22/13. Giants @ Lions. 1:05pm, Fox. Week 16.

How will the Lions implode today? Tune in and find out.

frdfie.jpg

mtslions.gif

Presents the following thread:

nygf.jpgATDetroitLionsfinal.jpg

(5-9) @ (7-7)

Your Detroit Lions

Vs.

The New York Giants

nfcnul5.gif

NFC Conference

Week 16

Date: December 22nd, 2013

Time: 4:05pm EST

This game is a presentation of:

koyjn.png

Radio Broadcast Provided by:

siriuslogo.jpg

Ch 112

Baltimore Ravens beat Detroit Lions on Justin Tucker's 61-yard bomb

DETROIT -- Justin Tucker's powerful leg kicked the Super Bowl champions into playoff gear. Tucker made six field goals, including a franchise-record 61-yarder with 38 seconds left that lifted the Baltimore Ravens to an 18-16 win over the Detroit Lions in a Monday night matchup with major postseason implications.

Ravens coach John Harbaugh chose to let Tucker try the longest kick of his career -- by 5 yards -- instead of going for it on fourth-and-8 from the Detroit 43. "If they send me out there, they have reason to," Tucker said. "It's because they think I can make the kick."

Rookie safety Matt Elam sealed the victory with an interception -- Matthew Stafford's third of the night -- after raising eyebrows during the week by calling 28-year-old Calvin Johnson "pretty old" and saying the plan was to make the star receiver uncomfortable by getting physical with him.

Stafford threw a 14-yard touchdown pass to Joseph Fauria with 2:21 left, putting Detroit up 16-15. But the Lions were unable to make a 2-point conversion and couldn't prevent Baltimore from setting up its sensational kicker for his 33rd successful field goal in a row.

Tucker's kick went just inside the right upright and barely had enough distance -- eight days after Denver's Matt Prater broke the NFL record with a 64-yard field goal. "I definitely felt like I got a lot of leg into it, but it jumped up so high I thought I might have gotten under it," said Tucker, who mentioned in a television interview right after the game that his six field goals also benefited his fantasy football team.

Tucker, who hasn't missed a field goal attempt since he was 0 for 2 in Week 2 at Cleveland, has the NFL's longest streak since Matt Stover made 36 in a row for the Ravens from 2005-06, according to STATS.

"What can you say about Justin Tucker?" Harbaugh said. "When we got the ball there, I think at the 45-yard line, I said, 'Hey, are we kicking this?' ... He said, 'I got it.'" Detroit (7-7) has hurt its playoff chances by losing four of its last five, falling out of sole possession of first place in the NFC North to third place behind the division-leading Chicago Bears and Green Bay.

"This is a setback, no question," Lions coach Jim Schwartz said. "We had control and now we need help. We have to get two wins and let the rest shake out." Stafford's three interceptions followed a troubling trend for the franchise. He has 12 interceptions in his last five games. Not coincidently, the Lions have been able to overcome those miscues well enough to win only one game during the slump.

Joe Flacco, meanwhile, didn't turn the ball over and made enough subtle moves in and around the pocket to get sacked only once. He has been sacked a career-high 42 times this season, but he stayed upright enough to move the ball into position for Tucker's big kick.

Flacco was 20 of 38 for 222 yards, including a 27-yard pass to Jacoby Jones to convert a third-and-15 from the Baltimore 28 on the game-winning drive. Jones had six receptions for 80 yards, and returned Detroit's last kick to the Baltimore 33. Stafford was 18 of 34 for 235 yards with a TD and three interceptions -- increasing his five-game total to 10 -- for a season-low 48 quarterback rating. "This was certainly not my best game," he acknowledged.

Johnson had six receptions for 98 yards and dropped two possibly pivotal passes thrown his way in the first half.

"We just put every guy on him to try to stop him," Elam said. "It was no disrespect meant to Calvin. He's the best in the league, so why would I challenge him? Words just got stirred up." The Lions started strong, with Reggie Bush running for a 14-yard touchdown on the opening drive. Detroit, though, got in its own way as it often has this year. Johnson dropped a pass that would've converted a third-and-15 deep in Ravens territory. On the ensuing drive, Tucker kicked his first of three field goals in the first half -- two of which were set up by penalties against Detroit. Tucker's next field goal was set up by a pass-interference call against safety Don Carey.

Johnson couldn't catch another pass in Baltimore territory thrown at him late in the first half. The Ravens took advantage of that mistake and one by Detroit's defense on the next drive.

Flacco threw an up-for-grabs pass on third-and-8 from the Lions 44 after avoiding a sack, and the incomplete pass was negated by Louis Delmas' helmet-to-helmet hit on Marlon Brown with 16 seconds left in the first half. That flag put the Ravens 15 yards closer to Tucker's field goal that gave Baltimore a 9-7 lead at halftime.

Detroit drove to the Ravens 31 on its first possession of the second half, but Stafford threw a pass behind Bush that was picked off by defensive end DeAngelo Tyson.

Baltimore went ahead 12-7 on the next drive on Tucker's 49-yard field goal midway through the third quarter. The Lions scored on the ensuing drive -- on David Akers' 40-yard kick -- for the first time since the opening minutes of the game. The field goal came after Stafford's pass into the end zone fell incomplete. A replay showed Detroit receiver Kris Durham had his arm held on the play by Lardarius Webb, but there was no penalty flag for pass interference.

Tucker's 53-yard field goal -- matching his previous season high -- put the Ravens ahead 15-10 with 8:06 left. Detroit responded with its best drive since its first one. The Lions might have caught a break from the officials when Brandon Pettigrew's catch was upheld after review.

Notes:

Jim Schwartz has reached the put-up-or-shut-up stage of his career with the Detroit Lions.

NFL Media Insider Ian Rapoport reported Monday on NFL Network's "NFL Total Access" that Schwartz is unlikely to keep his coaching job if the Lions miss the postseason, according to team sources.

The changes might go beyond Schwartz if the Lions fail to make the playoffs for the fourth time in five seasons, with the shake-up potentially reaching as high as the office of general manager Martin Mayhew.

The internal belief is that the Lions have enough talent on a roster that includes a franchise quarterback in Matthew Stafford, the game's top wide receiver in Calvin Johnson and a gifted defensive line led by Ndamukong Suh.

Schwartz is nonplussed by any speculation on his future.

"There are negative voices all over this business," Schwartz told NFL Media columnist Michael Silver. "Those same voices told me I was committing career suicide when I took the Lions job, that it was unfixable and the worst in the NFL.

"There's too much for me to be positive about to buy into the negativity," he added. "I have three games for an NFC North title. I'm going to try to win them."

Schwartz needs two wins and some help or he'll likely be seeking new employment next month.

NFC North Standings:

Chicago (8-6) .571

Green Bay (7-6-1) .536

Detroit (7-7) .500

Minnesota (4-9-1) .321

Lions Injury News:

Brandon Pettigrew TE Ankle Did Not Participate In Practice Out

Rashean Mathis CB Illness Did Not Participate In Practice Questionable

Sam Martin P right Groin Limited Participation in Practice Probable

John Wendling S Ankle Limited Participation in Practice Probable

Louis Delmas S Knee Did Not Participate In Practice Probable

DeAndre Levy LB Foot Did Not Participate In Practice Questionable

Calvin Johnson WR Knee Limited Participation in Practice Questionable

Darius Slay CB Knee Limited Participation in Practice Doubtful

Chris Houston CB Toe Limited Participation in Practice Questionable

Giants Injury News:

Cullen Jenkins DT Shin Limited Participation in Practice Probable

Trumaine McBride CB Groin Limited Participation in Practice Probable

Victor Cruz WR Knee Out (Definitely Will Not Play) Out

Jerrel Jernigan WR Knee Limited Participation in Practice Questionable

David Diehl T Knee Did Not Participate In Practice Doubtful

Peyton Hillis RB Concussion Did Not Participate In Practice Out

Cooper Taylor S Hamstring Did Not Participate In Practice Out

Jason Pierre-Paul DE Shoulder Did Not Participate In Practice Out

James Brewer G Ankle Limited Participation in Practice Questionable

Terrell Thomas CB Knee Limited Participation in Practice Probable

cj-1_zps9d16012b.jpg

Edited by Shinma

Lions will win. Bears and packers will lose setting up a meltdown game in minnesota next week.

Won't get to watch any of game most likely. I'm headed to the airport and my day involves getting to Orlando to see some sunshine. So long cold weather. Golf all day tomorrow.

Lions sleep tonight. NY is an awful football team, but this game will still be the end of it.

Can't watch it anyway - on vacay in those islands kinda to the east of Puerto Rico

Merry xmas dudes

Yes, Green Bay will lose. Chicago will lose. But so will the Lions. They are finished.

Jim Schwartz doesn't want to hurt Matthew's feelings. I am a Stafford fan. I think he has a ton of talent but more bad habits that can be coached away. Jim Schwartz does not have the guts to pull him out of the game for a few series' as a message. No fear of benching or embarrassment for Stafford. If he is not going to accept coaching, then he can sit down. I still think he's got a year or two to turn it around, but if he does not end these bad habits next year - he's toast, he'll never be good enough.

Calvin's drops last week. You don't want to believe this, but I have a theory. My theory is that Calvin has been "Lionized". It's the first signs of the disease that has infected him and just about every other player that has put on the sliver and blue in the Ford era. It's all downhill from here.

Lions will win. Bears and packers will lose setting up a meltdown game in minnesota next week.

Lions are finished. They were after the botched FG attempt. I can imagine that the team watching a rookie punter fumbling the ball in the rain, having the inner fire taken out of them.

The Packers game on Thanksgiving was a response to "dirtbags" and the d-line hasn't done crap since then.

They are poorly-coached and weak-willed.

Flight to Detroit was cancelled, so no florida for me today, I ****ing hate the upper peninsula. Of course no other flights out today either, so now I have to wait til 630 tomorrow morning. I just want to be in Orlando, I hate the snow. End rant.

Go Lions.

Flight to Detroit was cancelled, so no florida for me today, I ****ing hate the upper peninsula. Of course no other flights out today either, so now I have to wait til 630 tomorrow morning. I just want to be in Orlando, I hate the snow. End rant.

Go Lions.

You should sue them for emotional distress of having to watch the Loins now.

When I went to my girlfirend's family gathering the day of the Tampa Bay game and before the game started I told her brother in law and her nephew that the Lions would lose that game, they all thought I was crazy. But I knew it. I just knew it. I so desperately want them to win, but I also know that, when the chance presents itself, this team will kick me straight in the groin.

This has to be like heroin addiction. We know it's bad for us but we keep using. We end up on the floor in the corner trembling. I hate them but I can't stop rooting for them. I don't understand it.

Well Dallas just won so now Philly doesn't have to play all their starters tonight, just made things a whole lot easier for Chicago.

Well Dallas just won so now Philly doesn't have to play all their starters tonight, just made things a whole lot easier for Chicago.

Wait, wouldn't that mean that Philly DOES have to start their starters?

And I would think Philly still has to play for positioning. They'd much rather get New Orleans at home instead of San Francisco.

And I would think Philly still has to play for positioning. They'd much rather get New Orleans at home instead of San Francisco.

The game next week will determine the division champ for the NFC East.

Dan Miller was insinuating that if the Redskins won it would've given Philly more motivation. *shrug*

Doesn't matter because the Lions are losing today.

Doesn't matter because the Lions are losing today.

Regardless if they make it or not Schwartz needs to go.