IdahoBert

Stupid stuff you believed when you were a kid

1. As a child my neighbor had a hole in the floor of his front porch. He convinced me that a monster lived under there and that he would feed it chunks of meat at night.

2. My older brothers used to torture me by grabbing on to the lower lip of the garage door as it opened to be hoisted up into the air. I was convinced that if they made it to the top their hands would be mangled by the lift mechanism. It took me years to realize that that was impossible since the lift mechanism was on the opposite side of the door.

Up until I got my license at 16, I was convinced that when riding in the car with my parents, they were doing some kind of magic to get the blinker to stop "blinking" after a turn. Like I would watch my parents' hands to see one of their fingers flip the little stick to stop the arrow from blinking after a turn. The first time I drove, I realized the car did it on its own.

Edited by KleShreen

Back when my wife and I were dating she had a 1955 Olds with a Wonderbar AM radio. By pushing a single button on the radio it would seek the next channel. But on the floor next to the dimmer switch was a second floor switch that would do the same thing. We would tell her young brother and sister the radio was magic and just by waving my hand I could change stations.

I once thought that cruise control meant that you still had to work the pedals but didn't have to steer.

I used to believe some big rigs drove themselves, because when we would pass by one in our station wagon and I would glance up into the truck's driver's side window, I wouldn't see anyone.

When Lakeside mall opened, the Hudson's was not complete. So the map of the mall described the space as Future Hudson's. I thought that meant there would be moving walkways, push buttons, and robots ... you know, like on The Jetsons.

That is totally, totally awesome!

There was a radio tower near my Grandmother's house and it had this sort of dome/roofed top on it. I've never seen another radio tower like that before. But for quite a few years I was convinced that Superman lived in that tower. And possibly some other super heros, but definately superman.

Damn, that's great.

My sister had me convinced that there were snakes living in weeping willow trees.

Older sister, I'm guessing. Lol.

I used to think that when a label said "naturally fat free", that it meant naturally, as in, of course, this product is fat free.

I had to read it twice to get it. But, that is funny.

I used to think that if I turned up the bass on the stereo, I was adding bass guitars.

no, Silly! it adds bass keyboards.

When I would listen to the radio at night before our tv, and the program would fade out, I believed their power went out just like ours did when it rained hard.

So the Rolling Stones just kind of lived at the radio station and every 2 - 3 hours they'd pop in and play. I love that. That's awesome.

A much-needed break between shifts:

tommyShannon.Dave.Shafer.Plus.More.Of.The.CKLW.Jocks.rolling.stones.jpg

Edited by guy incognito

When I was about 5 I remember watching a baseball game and I heard an announcer use the term "Caught looking" for a batter striking out on a called strike. I literally thought it meant that you weren't allowed to watch the ball cross the plate and if the ump caught you they would call you out. So stupid.

I used to think that JC Penney's would hand out pennies when you went there. Very disappointing...
JC Penney founded a village where I grew up named Penney Farms. Once a month a black station wagon would pull up to every house to sell items from J. C. Penney stores. I always thought Mr. Penney drove that wagon.

When I was about 5 I remember watching a baseball game and I heard an announcer use the term "Caught looking" for a batter striking out on a called strike. I literally thought it meant that you weren't allowed to watch the ball cross the plate and if the ump caught you they would call you out. So stupid.
I always though "caught looking" was eyeballing a hot chick and she or your pals caught you.

I thought rock and roll was music that younger people played and as they got older they switched to country... since my parents listened to the country stations. I recall asking if the rolling stones would one day be country.

When I was a kid any rock song by a British band plus The Byrds was a Beatles song to me. Mr. Tambourine Man, Turn Turn Turn, Brown Sugar, Get Off My Cloud, Angie, Start Me Up, all Beatles songs.

Also, Janice Joplin, Bonnie Raitt, Carol King, Carly Simon, Stevie Nicks and Patti Smith were all the same person to me until about age 11 or 12.