Shinma

12/16/13. Ravens @ Lions. MONDAY NIGHT. 8:45pm, ESPN. Week 15.

Not really a response to anything in particular but more of a general follow up.

I don't buy the idea that this lions team is good enough such that getting to 6-3 and building the one game lead with tiebreaker made the division theirs for the taking. This really isn't a very good team.

I think the offense is very talented with stafford, mega, and bush/bell, as well as the surprisingly effective offensive line. However, they are still prone to fumbles, interceptions, and dropped passes. And they haven't been able to find a consistent second receiver to make teams pay for bracketing mega. It's a very good offense, but not elite.

The defense is good, but still limited by the weak link that is the pass coverage. I love our front seven, and they are good enough to force teams into unfavorable down and distance situations, but also more susceptible to teams being able to convert that down and distance. It's a decent but very flawed defensive unit.

Special teams are mediocre at best.

Overall, I see a 9-7 quality team that is susceptible to extreme highs and lows because of the high variance aspect of both their offense and defense.

I'm not surprised by their Jekyll and Hyde act and their failure to go from 6-3 to 9-4. They just aren't that good.

At the same time, they are better than the remaining teams on their schedule and for that reason I feel comfortable predicting a victory in each single game they play from here on out. But they are still so flawed that there are easy ways to see a loss in each game.

When the playoffs are set, there are going to be 3-4 teams that can point to game or plays here and there that cost them playoffs. That's why they play the games. It's too bad that the lions didn't make some of those plays in the last few weeks, but there is nothing stopping them from being on the positive side of the ledger tonight and in the next two weeks.

I'm happy to sit here and watch what happens. I won't be losing sleep over a bad result, though.

Couch-gating. Beer, ribs, spicy pistachios. Wore game day gear everywhere I went today and had comments from all directions (I am in Orlando, FL). Stupid Packers fan, Bears fan, hopeful Steelers fan. Really excited about this game. Unfortunately feels like a playoff game.

In response to Shelton. Completely disagree about their talent level. Their inconsistencies are in coaching style and strategy, not talent level.

GB won the Super Bowl with a defense that couldn't stop anyone. It's about execution. In the NFL execution is about X's and O's and fundamnetals. Schwartz has said he doesn't mind penalties like offside and he said they don't practice ball protection. Also, Linehan is questionable as a play caller. He gets far too conservative if the Lions get even a three point lead.

If the Lions had a competent coaching staff this season they would most likely be around 9-4 or 10-3.

The Lions will win easily tonight. They'll beat the Giants too.

It's the Minnesota game I'm most worried about.

Not really a response to anything in particular but more of a general follow up.

I don't buy the idea that this lions team is good enough such that getting to 6-3 and building the one game lead with tiebreaker made the division theirs for the taking. This really isn't a very good team.

I think the offense is very talented with stafford, mega, and bush/bell, as well as the surprisingly effective offensive line. However, they are still prone to fumbles, interceptions, and dropped passes. And they haven't been able to find a consistent second receiver to make teams pay for bracketing mega. It's a very good offense, but not elite.

The defense is good, but still limited by the weak link that is the pass coverage. I love our front seven, and they are good enough to force teams into unfavorable down and distance situations, but also more susceptible to teams being able to convert that down and distance. It's a decent but very flawed defensive unit.

Special teams are mediocre at best.

Overall, I see a 9-7 quality team that is susceptible to extreme highs and lows because of the high variance aspect of both their offense and defense.

I'm not surprised by their Jekyll and Hyde act and their failure to go from 6-3 to 9-4. They just aren't that good.

At the same time, they are better than the remaining teams on their schedule and for that reason I feel comfortable predicting a victory in each single game they play from here on out. But they are still so flawed that there are easy ways to see a loss in each game.

When the playoffs are set, there are going to be 3-4 teams that can point to game or plays here and there that cost them playoffs. That's why they play the games. It's too bad that the lions didn't make some of those plays in the last few weeks, but there is nothing stopping them from being on the positive side of the ledger tonight and in the next two weeks.

I'm happy to sit here and watch what happens. I won't be losing sleep over a bad result, though.

I agree with much of this; however, they were also better than Pittsburgh and Tampa Bay. Until Stafford improves and the secondary gets better, they will be susceptible to losing to anyone.

Tonight they should be fired up and the Ravens are not very good. I expect the Lions to roll them like they rolled the Packers on Thanksgiving.

(Now watch them throw it away...)

Over/under on big Ravens plays because Louis Delmas is out of position: 3.5

Sounds about right.

Over/under on our secondary making Joe Flacco look like Joe Montana?

Well then maybe the great Chris Greenwood will save us.

I think some guy, playing on another team, who used to play for the Lions, could do more for us than our own secondary.

I think some guy, playing on another team, who used to play for the Lions, could do more for us than our own secondary.

Is this about Greenwood? He's back from the Cowboys and active tonight for the first time in his career. Or is this a general thing?

Is this about Greenwood? He's back from the Cowboys and active tonight for the first time in his career. Or is this a general thing?

I missed the memo on Greenwood I guess, it was about him. Though, it could be in general with the Lions secondary.

Right. Let's do this Lions. After my team of studs got screwed over in FF playoffs yesterday and my soccer team Spurs were destroyed and sacked their manager as a result, I'm in need of some cheering up.

Faintly ridiculous that I have to turn to my Lions to do that !

1st pass is nearly picked off. Bell picks up good yardage on a screen for the Lions first 1st down.