DTroppens

2014 World Cup thread

Does a 1 goal loss to Germany mean the US wouldn't advance in that scenario?

If the US loses 1-0 (or by more of course) and Ghana wins 2-1 the US is eliminated.

The tie-break would be GF, so I believe as long as the US scores a goal, they would advance in that scenario.

Yeah - I mis-worded my comment.

A 2-1 loss in the case Ghana wins 2-1 would result in the US advancing. a 1-0 loss would send the US home.

There are a lot of scenarios, but I'm having a hard time envisioning anything other than Ghana scoring multiple goals and beating Portugal.

Portugal look really bad, and Ghana look very good.

And, yes, there are a lot of scenarios where we can advance with a win or a draw.

But Germany is miles better than the us. A draw is going to be hard to get.

Germany are not going to sit back and let the us attack. They can't afford to do that and risk losing and ending up second in the group.

Germany is going to tear us apart.

It's over.

There are a lot of scenarios, but I'm having a hard time envisioning anything other than Ghana scoring multiple goals and beating Portugal.

And, yes, there are a lot of scenarios where we can advance with a win or a draw.

Germany are not going to sit back and let the us attack. They can't afford to do that and risk losing and ending up second in the group.

It's over.

A lot as in all of them.

So, when Bradley turned the ball over was that his fault or was that just superior defense by Portugal? It looked like the game was over and then Bradley gave the ball away. They talk about that player a lot, I had never heard of him before 3 days ago.

it was bradley's fault. Even if he just hoofs it to the corner the us probably win. The goal was also cameron's fault for not tracking varela.

bradley has been bad in both matches so far. Jones has been much better.

Until that final sequence I thought Bradley looked a lot better than in the first game.

But jones has been more instrumental. He didn't look good early on yesterday, but after that he was great. It's probably no coincidence that the us played much better as soon as jones got better.

I forgot the links about the TV ratings in my last post.

Biggest ESPN broadcast since the BCS title game...

U.S. Vs. Ghana World Cup Match: A TV Ratings Hit For ESPN With 11,093,000 Viewers [uPDATED] - Forbes

And maybe the NFL should be a bit worried.

For One Night, Soccer's TV Ratings Were Higher Than an Average NFL Game - The Wire

Despite its less than ideal time slot, it was the day's No. 1 most watched television broadcast on Monday.

UPDATE: USA-Ghana Draws 15.9 Million on ESPN and Univision | Variety

This type of stuff was unheard of just five years ago, and now - even if it is just for one day - soccer is competing with TV ratings with that of NFL teams.

Until that final sequence I thought Bradley looked a lot better than in the first game.

But jones has been more instrumental. He didn't look good early on yesterday, but after that he was great. It's probably no coincidence that the us played much better as soon as jones got better.

Jones has been the US's best player in this World Cup in my opinion.

Regarding the ratings, I don't think they are a big deal.

If the NFL only happened once every four years, then you could compare.

Regarding the ratings, I don't think they are a big deal.

If the NFL only happened once every four years, then you could compare.

That's absolutely true. However, 20 years ago, being able to have conversations with the ratings like this (minus the World Cup in the US) would've never been possible. The numbers keep gradually going up for everything, and the exposure to soccer on TV is incredible - as good as any sport in the US right now.

Right. I'm just saying I don't think these ratings are a watershed moment or all that significant.

We've had two 6pm games for the usmnt. It's only competing with the middle of regular season baseball.

The ratings should be the highest ever merely based on the times of the games.

It's over.

The US will advance.

Book it.

Right. I'm just saying I don't think these ratings are a watershed moment or all that significant.

We've had two 6pm games for the usmnt. It's only competing with the middle of regular season baseball.

The ratings should be the highest ever merely based on the times of the games.

expect all the haters like to say that no one watches soccer and this points out that that is wrong. with growth of the latin american population and the fact that ESPN is pushing it those numbers are only gonna grow

add the univision numbers to that and the numbers grow even bigger. If it were on abc they would have topped the previous marks by tons.

there were 20,000 people watching here downtown. I was at a bar in logan square that was packed to the rafters. Place was going ape shite when jones and dempsey scored. Lots of chants. Good atmosphere.

its funny how far its come in the last ten years.

Now that people can watch english or spanish or italian games every week, it makes a big difference.

I have enjoyed it, but there are still things about that game that bug me slightly.

Player A hits the ball OB and someone from the other team just grabs the ball real quick and throws it in without any ref interaction. Sometimes you see guys try to steal the throw in even...that whole thing seems weird to me...I know there is probably a ref not on the screen who has the flag pointing to who has the ball, but it still feels off.

Mainly it is the nuances of the calls and the game that I do not get yet.

Close game, less than a minute left and the team that is behind has the ball and is taking their sweet time throwing the ball in...or not even attempting a shot on goal...things like that I do not get.

Getting the ball on the field instead of going to the side? Under what circumstances? Just when you are too far away from OB?

Front kicks, side kicks, free kicks?

I have watched more soccer the past week or so than in my entire life up to this point. I thought I was not going to get into it, but I have.

So, when Bradley turned the ball over was that his fault or was that just superior defense by Portugal? It looked like the game was over and then Bradley gave the ball away. They talk about that player a lot, I had never heard of him before 3 days ago.

It wasn't great play by him, although it still took some work (and, tbf, an awesome cross - and I've never particularly liked Ronaldo) to score the goal.

I'm not sure how close t the end it was - I've only seen highlights and they can be misleading. If it was that close to the end then someone needs to go and kick Ronaldo when he's still further away from the goals as well.

I have enjoyed it, but there are still things about that game that bug me slightly.

Keep at it - you'll pick it up as you go along. It's not that complex a game when it comes down to it. Subtle at times, but watch and listen and it'll come.

On throw ins you need to watch for a linesman pointing his flag. You won't always see him, but the lino or the referee will give the throw one way or the other.

expect all the haters like to say that no one watches soccer and this points out that that is wrong. with growth of the latin american population and the fact that ESPN is pushing it those numbers are only gonna grow

This is espn's last World Cup for a while. They have done a great job marketing it, but they are also the go to network/online presence for sports, so you can't get away from it. That's great for them this year.

When fox gets it in 2018, I doubt espn gives it nearly as much coverage.

Still, people watching the US team at 6pm in a once every four years mega-hyped competition doesn't mean that people are now watching soccer.

Yes, it's higher than before, but I doubt you will see a substantial bump in EPL ratings or MLS ratings in this country.

When the US is eliminated on Thursday, people will go back to not watching soccer. They will be back in 2018.

And that's fine. I didn't start watching until 2009.

The game will continue to attract more fans. I just don't think the current ratings mean that there has been some extreme increased interest.

When teams walk out of the tunnel before the game. Why is one team in their jersey and the other team in their warm-up jacket?

When teams walk out of the tunnel before the game. Why is one team in their jersey and the other team in their warm-up jacket?

I don't think there's any rule on this - it will just be whatever each team prefers I imagine.

This is espn's last World Cup for a while. They have done a great job marketing it, but they are also the go to network/online presence for sports, so you can't get away from it. That's great for them this year.

When fox gets it in 2018, I doubt espn gives it nearly as much coverage.

Still, people watching the US team at 6pm in a once every four years mega-hyped competition doesn't mean that people are now watching soccer.

Yes, it's higher than before, but I doubt you will see a substantial bump in EPL ratings or MLS ratings in this country.

When the US is eliminated on Thursday, people will go back to not watching soccer. They will be back in 2018.

And that's fine. I didn't start watching until 2009.

The game will continue to attract more fans. I just don't think the current ratings mean that there has been some extreme increased interest.

Agreed. Except for the part about being eliminated on Thursday.