John_Brian_K

Joe Nathan Signed 2 year deal.

Ken Rosenthal ‏@Ken_Rosenthal 5m

Source: Nathan deal with #Tigers is in $20M range for two years.

Expand

If true, this is a much more favorable contract than I was expecting. But I'm still pretty unenthused with Nathan.

I'm guessing that if this news leaked prior to fister deal, it would be more favorably received.

Everyone bitched about not signing a closer last offseason. Now they do and everyone bitches again.

I like Joe Nathan, made me come to my senses. Dave's got this, let's just let him work.

I am very happy Smyly will be in the rotation.

The thing is,If Mr. Illitch had not insisted on signing Fielder 2 years ago I think DD would have made the neccessary moves back then and we might have been enjoying back to back WS champions right now.

The thing is,If Mr. Illitch had not insisted on signing Fielder 2 years ago I think DD would have made the neccessary moves back then and we might have been enjoying back to back WS champions right now.

I'm not sure there are moves that can be made that would easily turn a team from a division winner into a World Champion. A lot of it just getting hot at the right time.

I'm not sure there are moves that can be made that would easily turn a team from a division winner into a World Champion. A lot of it just getting hot at the right time.

Just speculating, but without the fielder contract the tigers would have had the leverage to make the deals similar to what their doing now and i think for the last two years would have been a better more complete team.

Just speculating, but without the fielder contract the tigers would have had the leverage to make the deals similar to what their doing now and i think for the last two years would have been a better more complete team.

Fielder was very good, and worth the money in 2012. There were not many alternatives available that could have replaced his 2012 performance, and we might not have made the playoffs without him.

In 2013, he hurt us, but he had a lot of personal issues going on that year. I think it's good that we're rid of his contract, because it will be a huge albatross during its last three years. But overall, I think the effect of the Fielder signing on this team wasn't that bad considering we were able to trade him away and not eat too much salary.

Heyman reporting that Nathan's deal is, in fact, 2/20...

Jon Heyman ‏@JonHeymanCBS 2h

Nathan 2-year deal is for $20M with #tigers. @Ken_Rosenthal and/or @ChrisCotillo may have had this, hard to remember.

That's a good deal if it really is 2/20. I would have expected more.

I agree. This free agent year is pretty deep with closers. I could still see Benoit in the mix as well.

I'm guessing that if this news leaked prior to fister deal, it would be more favorably received.

Everyone bitched about not signing a closer last offseason. Now they do and everyone bitches again.

I don't know that everyone was complaining about not siging a closer last year. The bigger issue was that we needed another quality reliever, which we did, and didn't sign anyone. It could have been any decent middle reliever. That was a fair complaint, which turned out to be a fairly significant factor throughout the season and playoffs.

I'm glad they signed Nathan, if in fact it happens and its only 2/$20. But I'm not going to jump up and down for a 39 year old closer who I think is showing signs of decline. Particularly when there appears to be a payroll cap of some sort in place this year, and we need to sign 2-3 more relievers, a big bat, and a platoon partner for Dirks. If Nathan's contract prevents us from doing all of that, then it probably was a bad contract to hand out.

I agree. This free agent year is pretty deep with closers. I could still see Benoit in the mix as well.

I'm thrilled at 2yrs/$20 mil. I thought we would have had to go closer to $25 mil for him. If we can use some of that difference to get Benoit back/sign Choo and I'm a really happy camper.

Has this been announced yet officially?

I'm curious why nearly 24 hours later there is no concrete loan terms or announcement from either side.

I'm curious why nearly 24 hours later there is no concrete loan terms or announcement from either side.

Physical

Physical

Usually there is some announcement pending physical and we would know the terms of the contract. We knew pretty quickly the terms of Ellsbury's contract, and the Fister trade was pending physicals.

I'd love to see Benoit back, but the relief FA market is deep enough that we may be able to get 2 quality guys for the price of Benoit.

I'd love to see Benoit back, but the relief FA market is deep enough that we may be able to get 2 quality guys for the price of Benoit.

The deep relief market will keep Benoit's cost down.

This is going to be like when we got Troy Percival a few years ago.

Percival started to decline before they even signed him. I think they were just hoping to squeeze out one solid year out of him before he broke down. Nathan is showing very little indication of decline.

Percival started to decline before they even signed him. I think they were just hoping to squeeze out one solid year out of him before he broke down. Nathan is showing very little indication of decline.

His velocity dipped a lot last year which made him rely on his slider more. His numbers didn't suffer but it's something to keep an eye on if the increased slider usage ends up effecting him.