John_Brian_K

Joe Nathan Signed 2 year deal.

Bleh. I'll wait to see the details, but Nathan figures to be dramatically overpaid on the basis of his unsustainable success last year. I'd rather have Fister than Nathan...

I have hated Nathan forever, by virtue of his being a Twin for so long, but this needed to happen. So I guess at this point we'd be looking at Al Al/Krol in the 7th, Rondon in the eighth and Nathan in the ninth. Or if we bring Benoit back (doubtful at this point), slide everyone back and slip him into his old eighth-inning role.

So did we seriously dump Fister so that we could find a way to fit Nathan into the payroll? This is such ****ing crap. I hate this offseason so much after it had started so well with the Ausmus hire and Fielder trade.

Can't wait to see that we're paying Nathan 13m/year to pitch 50 innings while Fister gets 6-7m to be the 9th best starter in baseball over the last three years. Unless Dombrowski steals Bautista like he just had Fister stolen from him, nothing can salvage this offseason for me.

Edited by Unlock the Shrine

The next closer is a big deal though which was why I started the thread...possibly a little prematurely....hopefully not though, he is the best closer out there right now.

I hope we don't get 2011 Joe Nathan. I hope he replicates his .224 BABIP from last year. And I hope it's for only one year.

EDIT: No way he signs for only a year after turning down a $9 million player option. If it's for three years, I just might faint.

Edited by chasfh

I felt that Nathan was the best closer available by a good margin, so this is good news.

Lynn (unsurprisingly) disagrees:

Lynn G. Henning ‏@Lynn_Henning 1m

Negotiations with Brian Wilson and Co. were not getting anywhere. Nathan a Plan B (although Tigers won't say it). Not the Nathan of old.

Dumping salary in order to sign Nathan just doesn't make sense. But I have been concerned that this is what they've been trying to free money up for.

Fister would have made a good closer. I mean, if they were hell bent on getting him out of the rotation. And he would be cheaper than any of the closers available as free agents.

I am not a big fan of the Fister trade, but it happened. Now I'm trying to look at it this way:

• we got a much better bench player/utility player than anyone we had in that role.

• we got a very solid, young, hard-throwing and controllable lefty for our bullpen, meaning bye bye Phil Coke.

• we got a very solid, young, hard-throwing and controllable lefty starter who a lot of people are pretty high on, for a potential future spot in our rotation.

• Porcello has gotten better each year and should be ready to give us close to what Fister gave us in the 4 spot.

• Smyly is a very capable starter and will give us a lefty in the rotation for the first time since the failed Coke Experiment.

• If moving Fister's money is what allowed us to sign Nathan, ok. We now will have a closer who is reliable, consistent and gets the job done. Would have been nice to have that in Game 2 in Boston... We might be talking about our world championship now.

Never Mind

Can a Mod change the Title after they confirm it?

#Tigers and Joe Nathan have agreed to a 2-year contract says, @JonHeymanCBS

Only two years isn't bad. I dread having to watch him flap his lips before every freaking pitch, but what can you do.

Looks like Wilson wanted to stay out west and is signing with the Dodgers.

Jon Heyman CBS: Nathan and Tigers will have a 2-year agreement. tigers finally get their closer.

I am not a big fan of the Fister trade, but it happened. Now I'm trying to look at it this way:

• we got a much better bench player/utility player than anyone we had in that role.

• we got a very solid, young, hard-throwing and controllable lefty for our bullpen, meaning bye bye Phil Coke.

• we got a very solid, young, hard-throwing and controllable lefty starter who a lot of people are pretty high on, for a potential future spot in our rotation.

• Porcello has gotten better each year and should be ready to give us close to what Fister gave us in the 4 spot.

• Smyly is a very capable starter and will give us a lefty in the rotation for the first time since the failed Coke Experiment.

• If moving Fister's money is what allowed us to sign Nathan, ok. We now will have a closer who is reliable, consistent and gets the job done. Would have been nice to have that in Game 2 in Boston... We might be talking about our world championship now.

Nathan isn't better than Benoit. Even if he was, the fact that they just traded a #1 SP in Fister to free up the money to pay him that is absolutely mindblowing.

Also, Lombardozzi blows and is not even close to being as good as Santiago. 278 OBP!!!

Why are people assuming Nathan was signed because of money freed up by the Fister deal? If they were doing a salary dump to sign Nathan, they could've just unloaded Porcello. Also, they could've back loaded Nathan's contract for next year when Hunter and Martinez come off the books.

Why are people assuming Nathan was signed because of money freed up by the Fister deal? If they were doing a salary dump to sign Nathan, they could've just unloaded Porcello. Also, they could've back loaded Nathan's contract for next year when Hunter and Martinez come off the books.

If it isn't, then I sure as hell don't know what the purpose of trading Fister was. In fact, I don't think I'll ever know. What an idiotic trade.