spikesglaring

Doug Fister Traded to the Nationals

You can say that about any trade though.

Exactly. Why don't we let it play out before we pass massive sweeping judgments?

And we'll never know if we could have gotten more. We can guess but, yes it is possible to believe this is the best we could do. Propsects have become such a commodity.

This is one of many, many moves to come. Pieces have to be moved around to make room financially, we were bound to lose someone we liked to make room for a big free agent, a Max extension or a trade.

If you don't trust in this General Manager, who in 3 years took the worst team in American League history to a World Series, they you aren't very bright.

That doesn't address losing Fister for nothing, could have gotten much more for him. It's like Dave is doing someone a favor.

Exactly. Why don't we let it play out before we pass massive sweeping judgments?

And we'll never know if we could have gotten more. We can guess but, yes it is possible to believe this is the best we could do. Propsects have become such a commodity.

We didn't even get a good prospect.

Not following you.

Nolasco or Anibal only cost money. I can sign them and not give up one player from my farm system. Fister why as good, or a step down from those guys, cost three players from the nats. That's gonna hurt value as young guys become more and more important.

Yeah, didn't seem to cost the Nats either.

Worst trade in the history of baseball, no matter the context. Absolutely fleeced. I am plum confused. Tank mode.

LOL worst trade in the history of baseball. You're on a roll.

Bad trades aren't necessary for future good trades. This is like skipping the gym today and eating 10 chili dogs while justifying it by saying you'll go to the gym tomorrow.

Or something. Something not good.

If you have to trade somepne to make room for smyly/clear salary, whatever, but that does not make it okay to trade fister for zero value in return.

Seriously, just let everything play out. Long way to go. He did this for a reason. Dave doesn't just do this for nothing.

So we should assume that the last 10 years of trades for prospects do not apply here? Suddenly the trade market for #3 SP with 2 years of time left before free agency has dried up?

There is only 1 prospect here in Robbie Ray. The other 1 is a RP, and a utility IF.

Is Roby not good? Did we decide that? Everything I see projects him to be a middle of the rotation guy.

Other than last year, fister is a 500 pitcher (or below 500) every season of his career. I'm not sure this was a bad move. We got something for a guy who was fairly ordinary, but who fans always wanted more from.

Bad trades aren't necessary for future good trades. This is like skipping the gym today and eating 10 chili dogs while justifying it by saying you'll go to the gym tomorrow.

I like it.

Fister must have slept with Kate Upton. That's the only reason. Or re-introduced Cabrera with Ozzie Guillen and bought both several rounds at the bar last night.

What if a team like San Diego said they wanted Ray as part of a package for Headley? There's probably been a lot of discussions.

So we should assume that the last 10 years of trades for prospects do not apply here? Suddenly the trade market for #3 SP with 2 years of time left before free agency has dried up?

There is only 1 prospect here in Robbie Ray. The other 1 is a RP, and a utility IF.

I never said any of that. But keep putting words into my mouth. There are reasons why Fister might not have netted a return that you think he should have. And I have no idea what your first sentence is getting at.

After perusing the interwebs the last half hour, the consensus seems to be that the Tigers got ****ed.

I just hope there is a method to this madness, because this is the first time that I have felt this bad about a trade made by Dombrowski.

Seriously, just let everything play out. Long way to go. He did this for a reason. Dave doesn't just do this for nothing.

You act like Dombrowski has never made a bad trade before.

There are either real-world constraints at work here, strategic maneuvering, or both. Dave has gotten the better of teams in a lot of trades, so my presumption is that there's a rational motive behind this that fits the circumstances in which the team finds itself. DD is not dumber than us even when it seems he may be. My guess is that he'll prove that in the end.

So a kid with 160K in 142IP isn't a good prospect? You don't have to love the trade, but that's silly.

What if a team like San Diego said they wanted Ray as part of a package for Headley? There's probably been a lot of discussions.

Then you do a multi-team deal. The kind that gets you Austin Jackson from the Yankees and Max Scherzer from the Diamondbacks. You don't make bad trades with the intent of making a subsequent trade to balance it out. There is nothing compelling any other GM to offer a trade that makes up the value lost from this blunder.