spikesglaring

Doug Fister Traded to the Nationals

If you had a top prospect would you trade him for fister?

Depends on my situation. If I am trying to win right now and need a good starting pitcher? Yes, I would.

I don't think people here would be too enthused if Castellanos was traded for Fister.

We just subtracted value from this team for a bunch of nuts n' bolts. I normally don't complain about trades on here, and generally give DD deference. I defended trading Granderson, and defended giving up Sizemore. But this trade makes absolutely zero sense at all.

Don't start us on the Sizemore deal that netted us nothing. Next thing you know the top 10 worst DD trades of all time thread will be started. Jurrjens for Renteria, Colyer, Sizemore for Purcey. It will get ugly in here.

Except it isnt b/c garza shields and dickey all returned way more in trades and none of them were as valuable.

Arguable.

A top 10 pitcher over the last 3 yrs? Yes. I would trade castellanos+ just to get fister back and forget this ever happened.

It's arguable that Fister has been as good as James Shields, and the Rays got Wil Myers in return. Of course, that was kind of a steal for the Rays, but I think it's reasonable to ask for a team's #1 in return for Fister.

Its reasonable to ask for anything but its the transactions that determine value. Fisters a 29 year old guy who will cost over $20 million for 2 years.

I wouldn't want to, but I certainly wouldn't EXPECT to get Fister without giving up something serious in return. You shouldn't be able to get good AND cheap for so little.

there's no way in my estimation to improve on Fister's performance on a dollar-value basis.

And this is really the bottom line. This is why this trade is a very bad move even if it "frees up salary." The only reason to free up salary is if you get rid of a player that is paid too much. Fister was paid too little--to the Tigers' advantage.

He wouldn't have done worse...

I know you like being a contrarian, but this is really a stretch. The trade is being universally panned. It wasn't sufficient return for a pitcher the likes of Fister. And if you can't get more, you keep him. If we can't get better return in January, then we could have traded him for more in July. You don't trade Top 20 starters just for the sake of clearing roster space and picking up a borderline Top 100 prospect.

This has nothing to do with being a contrarian.

I was texting with another poster here who told me about the return. It made sense to me.

All this talk about being able to get more is directly contradicted by what we actually got. I think many are severely overestimating what his value this offseason actually was.

The MLB team is probably equal to what it was yesterday. Maybe half a win worse.

But they now have a legitimate prospect in their system that they didn't have previously.

Stinky Trade. I see no cogent reasoning at this juncture whatsoever, very puzzling to say the very least.

Don't DD's best trades usually net established players, not prospects? I'm having trouble thinking of any notable prospects he has acquired that turned into solid players.

Austin Jackson.

I think this trade is classical DD overvaluing certain prospects like power arms (Colyer/Coke over Neshek/Crain). He also overvalues BA over OBP (Torii Hunter over Choo). Also overvalues hitting over defense and speed (like a Prince Fielder over a Matt Kemp).

The Tigers have no pitching depth in the minors. They have a great rotation but an injury can be really devastating.

This is what seems so strange about selling low on Fister. I've rooted for way too many teams that thought they had pitching depth, but were proven wrong.

I can't believe that no other team offered a better package than Washington's.

Jose Iglesias should be very sad to see Fister leave town, along with 20% of his highlight reel plays. The Tigers are improving their infield defense, while getting rid of the pitcher who most needed that defense.

Justin Verlander ‏@JustinVerlander 15s

Just heard about Fister... A lot of moves for the @tigers this off season. Don't think this is the end. #bigpicture

All this talk about being able to get more is directly contradicted by what we actually got. I think many are severely overestimating what his value this offseason actually was.

The MLB team is probably equal to what it was yesterday. Maybe half a win worse.

But they now have a legitimate prospect in their system that they didn't have previously.

If this is the most Fister could yield on the trade market, then we should have held on to him. His surplus value over the next two years outweighs the return here. We didn't have to make a move. Instead, we just moved our best trade piece and didn't fill any of our most pressing holes at the MLB-level.

This has nothing to do with being a contrarian.

I was texting with another poster here who told me about the return. It made sense to me.

I love smyly but I don't see him coming close to the 4 WAR fister is projected for. Or even 3.5.

If this is the most Fister could yield on the trade market, then we should have held on to him. His value surplus over the next two years outweighs the return here. We didn't have to make a move. Instead, we just moved our best trade piece and didn't fill any of our most pressing holes at the MLB-level.

Correct. Sooner or later we would have needed that 6th SP (due to an injury or 2), or another team would have paid what we just got + a top-50 prospect OF. We missed out on an entire top 50 prospect in this trade.

If this is the most Fister could yield on the trade market, then we should have held on to him. His surplus value over the next two years outweighs the return here. We didn't have to make a move. Instead, we just moved our best trade piece and didn't fill any of our most pressing holes at the MLB-level.

Agreed. If this is all we can get I would've preferred to keep him for two more years and then take the draft pick.

If only they had more time this offseason to fill those holes.

You do realize that they added to their barren minor league system, right? That's where the surplus value went. They couldn't keep ignoring that.

What people are missing is that Fister just isn't that good. Facts are facts: He's a marginal 500 pitcher for his whole career. I'll be stunned if he becomes a 20 game winner for the nationals. Because that would be the complete antithesis of his statistical norms, which players inevitably return to when they have a career year. And you could argue last year was his career year at 14-9. He has enough major league service time that we can safely call him what he is- a borderline 4th starter, maybe 3rd on a weak team. I'm just not that broken up over this. We essentially traded this generation's Milt Wilcox- one really good year and alot of average, 500 years. I like Milt alot and Fister was a very nice person too. But that doesn't mean someone is giving us a top 20 prospect for either of them.