Shinma

11/28/13. Packers @ Lions. Happy Thanksgiving! Week 13, 12:35pm. FOX.

I like Fox's studio folks. They get it. Terry is kind of a dork, but he embraces it, so it makes it fun. I find that he tends to be very supportive of the Lions. Howie Long is a little more cautious in complimenting the Lions because he is more like "show me something when it counts".

Before the kickoff of the Pittsburgh game I thought Brian Billick nailed it when he said (paraphrasing) that the Lions had a lot of talent and could beat anyone, but historically these next two games against Pittsburgh and Tampa Bay are very winnable games that the franchise had a history of losing and the Lions still hadn't shaken that tag. I like Billick, I think he'd make a great head coach for us (He has certainly seen enough of the team).

He's right. The Lions almost have to be shoved into a corner before they respond and play like they did yesterday. It's when they are wounded that they play that way. They have to play that way when they are 4-1 or 6-3 too, not just when they are clinging.

I think Jim Schwartz was absolutely the right guy to take them from 0-16 to being competitive, but I think they need a different head coach to take them from being competitive to serious contender. I think Schwartz demeanor and approach are too hot headed and the team loses control. I know he's calmed down a bit since the mistake against Indy last season, but Jim is like Bryan Murray and now the Lions need their Scotty Bowman. Still hopeful for Bill Cowher, but I think Bill wants complete control and the Fords won't do it.

It drives me nuts when the Fox studio analysts try too hard to be funny. If something funny happens fine, but don't force it. & I can't stand Jay Glazer & the moronic dude that took over the Frank Caliendo role. Just talk about the games.

I think Jim Schwartz was absolutely the right guy to take them from 0-16 to being competitive, but I think they need a different head coach to take them from being competitive to serious contender. I think Schwartz demeanor and approach are too hot headed and the team loses control. I know he's calmed down a bit since the mistake against Indy last season, but Jim is like Bryan Murray and now the Lions need their Scotty Bowman. Still hopeful for Bill Cowher, but I think Bill wants complete control and the Fords won't do it.

I agree. Schwartz got them competitive, but he won't get them to the next level.

BTW? Did you mean the mistaken flag he threw last Thanksgiving against Houston?

Coaches don't win games. Players do.

Couldn't disagree more, coaching in the NFL is almost as important as personnel. The NFL is full of parity, I mean lets face it, every team has talented players and athletes, but the difference between the teams is that the good teams know how to maximize their personnel and know what schemes best utilize each and every particular players strength.

There's a reason the Saints sucked last year and that was there was no Sean Payton and company around to best utilize every players strength. Same thing in SF, Harbaugh and co. know how to get the most out of their players. Look at KC this year, they had the number 1 pick last year and now they have the best record in football thanks to a whole new coaching staff that is utilizing the talent.

It would be like a carpenter using a screwdriver as a hammer, just because that screwdriver sucks as a hammer doesn't mean it's a bad tool, it's just means that it sucks when you use it improperly. Same thing in the NFL, majority of NFL players can bring something to the table, it's the coaches jobs to identify what that is, and the great ones can and best use that particular players strength and make them an asset.

So the bottom line is yes, you do need some talent but you can have the best players on the field it won't make a difference if your coaching staff isn't utilizing them properly.

Really happy about the win. D line played amazing.

Edited by nd1377

Couldn't disagree more, coaching in the NFL is almost as important as personnel. The NFL is full of parity, I mean lets face it, every team has talented players and athletes, but the difference between the teams is that the good teams know how to maximize their personnel and know what schemes best utilize each and every particular players strength.

There's a reason the Saints sucked last year and that was there was no Sean Payton and company around to best utilize every players strength. Same thing in SF, Harbaugh and co. know how to get the most out of their players. Look at KC this year, they had the number 1 pick last year and now they have the best record in football thanks to a whole new coaching staff that is utilizing the talent.

It would be like a carpenter using a screwdriver as a hammer, just because that screwdriver sucks as a hammer doesn't mean it's a bad tool, it's just means that it sucks when you use it improperly. Same thing in the NFL, majority of NFL players can bring something to the table, it's the coaches jobs to identify what that is, and the great ones can and best use that particular players strength and make them an asset.

So the bottom line is yes, you do need some talent but you can have the best players on the field it won't make a difference if your coaching staff isn't utilizing them properly.

Well, it might be coaching in NO, but it would appear its Ryan more than Payton if anything.

A 3-1 finish guarantees a division title. 2-2 means the bears need to 4-0 or the packers 4-0. Bears and Packers play each other to finish the season.

A 3-1 finish guarantees a division title. 2-2 means the bears need to 4-0 or the packers 4-0. Bears and Packers play each other to finish the season.

The lions' magic number is three.

Young Man (or Woman), Do not underestimate the Detroit Lions ability to go 1-3 or 0-4 the rest of the way.

Perhaps this sounds cliche......but the Lions only need to beat the Eagles next Sunday. That's it, there is nothing else they need to do......for now.

Minnesota did the Lions a huge favor today. They just about got hosed on the first FG on a brutal facemask call where there was no facemask anywhere.

Win the games they should and the division is theres.

Young Man (or Woman), Do not underestimate the Detroit Lions ability to go 1-3 or 0-4 the rest of the way.

Perhaps this sounds cliche......but the Lions only need to beat the Eagles next Sunday. That's it, there is nothing else they need to do......for now.

what are you doing??? Aren't you rooting for the Eagles??? don't be selfish and screw this up.

Minnesota did the Lions a huge favor today. They just about got hosed on the first FG on a brutal facemask call where there was no facemask anywhere.

Win the games they should and the division is theres.

What? He clearly grabbed the face mask.

Yah, that was one of the most egregious face masks I've seen in a while. I'm thinking maybe Detroit Rock City looked at the wrong hand on the video.