Sign in to follow this  
hail2mich

GDT: Michigan at Northwestern 11/16/2013

Well it only took Borges 2.5 years to actually use the threat of the bubble screen to take a guy out of the box. Just in time for a couple of nice 4Q/OT drives.

I stepped off the Fire Borges bandwagon after thinking about it a bit. I'd say this game was average. I'd like to give him credit for the quick hitch/bubble screen equiv/draw combo that opened up the middle of the field a bit, but as I said this should have been done back when Denard was QB. Beautiful call on what should have been the Gallon TD - same formation, same spot on the field as the fade that didn't work earlier in the game. Really baited the D there. I still don't know why though we go I-form play action on 3rd and long so often. Nobody's buying it and it doesn't help Devin any to have his back to the rush. I'd still prefer a new OC, but I'm not going to be irate if they don't, depending on the last 2 games here.

Nice to see Devin with a few nice runs, maybe getting that half-a-step back that got beaten out of him at MSU.

Honestly, the I form play action on third and long doesn't bother me. I don't think they believe that it's going to fool anyone. The receivers need time to get down field anyway. The downside is gardner's back to field for a brief moment, but the upside is that just maybe a db or linebacker bites on the fake out of instinct. And the rb is still in position to pick up the pass rush or release to catch a dump off.

If they could protect better then maybe you could have another receiver, but we don't have that luxury.

Honestly, the I form play action on third and long doesn't bother me. I don't think they believe that it's going to fool anyone. The receivers need time to get down field anyway. The downside is gardner's back to field for a brief moment, but the upside is that just maybe a db or linebacker bites on the fake out of instinct. And the rb is still in position to pick up the pass rush or release to catch a dump off.

If they could protect better then maybe you could have another receiver, but we don't have that luxury.

I thought on the fade to Gallon, Gardner barely had time to look at the receiver because by the time he turned around a guy was in his face. And he definitely got sacked against MSU because of it (carrying out the PA also didn't give RB enough time to pick-up blitz), maybe Nebraska too, can't remember.

Borges has been doing it for a while, and it's worked until the past couple weeks and the OL problems/inside blitzes. At this point in the season I think the negatives pretty clearly outweigh the positives on it.

What would the result have been if he instead was doing a traditional seven step drop? That same pass rusher would have been in his face. So he throws it away? Or he throws well short of the sticks? The problem is not his back to the field, it's the failure to block the rusher.

What would the result have been if he instead was doing a traditional seven step drop? That same pass rusher would have been in his face. So he throws it away? Or he throws well short of the sticks? The problem is not his back to the field, it's the failure to block the rusher.

Correct, there is absolutely 0 difference between a QB seeing the field and not seeing the field from the snap.

Correct, there is absolutely 0 difference between a QB seeing the field and not seeing the field from the snap.

You know that's not what I was saying.

You know that's not what I was saying.

And I'm not saying it would have been a TD. My criticism stands independent of the OL blocking or other what ifs. Just because there's an OL problem with the offense doesn't mean there's not other problems.