Greenwit

Hand to 'Bama

It is disappointing but I wouldn't say it's a complete fail. I'm sure this season has had an impact on his final decision, but Hand was never a lock. He hadn't visited Alabama until recently, and we all know that nobody is a lock when they are involved.

Freep reports it this way......

Nearly every recruting expert, including rivals.com national analyst Mike Farrell, who knows Hand well, had predicted for months that Hand would choose the Wolverines.

The “crystal ball” from experts at 247sports.com sat at 81% for Michigan earlier today.

Yes, his number one criteria was academics. He was looking for a top notch engineering program.

so of course he chose Alabama over Michigan. Makes perfect sense.

Yes, his number one criteria was academics. He was looking for a top notch engineering program.

so of course he chose Alabama over Michigan. Makes perfect sense.

They showed him a sweet Earthquake simulator.

Alabama's engineering school actually is pretty decent apparently, so I'll assume his #2 criteria was 'not playing for a miserable team and getting embarrassed every week'

A brief couple of google searches suggests that Michigan is top ten in civil engineering (actually #7 in the country). I don't see Alabama anywhere even in the top 50. So to say this has anything to do with academics is extremely comical. But he's a kid, and kids don't always know how to say the right things sometimes. Good luck to him. I know all of the MSU folks have a lot of respect for coach Saban and his ethics. So I'm sure things will be fine.

That's what I've gathered also. I don't blame him for going to the football factory. Saban has done an incredible job there. But it ain't due to academics. And Hoke & Co. did themselves no favors with some incredibly embarrassing performances.

Well, if you want to take the anti-Michigan view, and why not at this point, why did they try to steer him into Sports Management instead of what he wanted to do during his visits?

I'm not saying academics actually would have made any difference, but I'm not really sure I understand why that happened if he actually cares about engineering at all. Did Michigan just not think it was possible to be a top level football player and go into engineering? I suppose we'll see if his major changes to Communications at Bama in a couple of years.

I don't see a source for that claim....there is some discussion board stuff on that but that's all I see. UM had two engineers last year according to MGO. I don't see how it makes any sense to steer someone away from their field of interest.....if he can't handle the academics he's not married to it.

I don't see a source for that claim....there is some discussion board stuff on that but that's all I see. UM had two engineers last year according to MGO. I don't see how it makes any sense to steer someone away from their field of interest.....if he can't handle the academics he's not married to it.

He was probably too stupid to get admission to the Engineering school and figured his best shot at an Engineering degree is one of those participation diplomas that Alabama hands out.