TheCouga

Wal-Mart: An economic cancer on our cities

Its less impressive if you know that fast food workers are making more than $20/hr.

Thanks. That simply reinforces the fact that the market will pay much more than any proposed minimum wage when the law of supply and demand is allowed to work.

Thanks. That simply reinforces the fact that the market will pay much more than any proposed minimum wage when the law of supply and demand is allowed to work.

It simply reinforces that strange **** happens in atypical circumstances. This is also a town where many people live in tent villages and pay more than one would normally pay to rent a nice apartment to do so. This isn't a good example of anything, and if you need to cite extreme circumstances to prove your point, then you have problems.

It simply reinforces that strange **** happens in atypical circumstances. This is also a town where many people live in tent villages and pay more than one would normally pay to rent a nice apartment to do so. This isn't a good example of anything, and if you need to cite extreme circumstances to prove your point, then you have problems.

It's a gold rush. It's the same phenomenon that built San Francisco, and made Alberta the wealthiest province. Right now they have more jobs than people. If I knew how to weld, I'd be there right now my-damn-self.

It's a gold rush. It's the same phenomenon that built San Francisco, and made Alberta the wealthiest province. Right now they have more jobs than people. If I knew how to weld, I'd be there right now my-damn-self.

I know. Many people are leaving the Twin Cities to go out there. It is a fairly limited circumstance though, and proves little about minimum wages, and reinforces that WalMart (which is what this thread is about) will still pay the bare minimum that it can for labor.

I know. Many people are leaving the Twin Cities to go out there. It is a fairly limited circumstance though, and proves little about minimum wages, and reinforces that WalMart (which is what this thread is about) will still pay the bare minimum that it can for labor.

As it should.

I assume from this that you advocate paying above market wages. Do you walk the walk? If you own a business do you pay all of your employees well above market wages? If you make hires for an employee do you pay the new hires much more than anyone else does? Based on your belief that the market shouldn't set wages can we assume you translate that into the rest of your life?

When shopping for a house or car if you see one priced below what you feel is fair value do you offer more money rather than pay the "bare minimum"?

Do you add 20-30% to your bill at convenience stores and fast food outlets to encourage the owners to pay their workers more?

You can make a difference every day if you start doing those things.

I assume from this that you advocate paying above market wages. Do you walk the walk? If you own a business do you pay all of your employees well above market wages? If you make hires for an employee do you pay the new hires much more than anyone else does? Based on your belief that the market shouldn't set wages can we assume you translate that into the rest of your life?

When shopping for a house or car if you see one priced below what you feel is fair value do you offer more money rather than pay the "bare minimum"?

Do you add 20-30% to your bill at convenience stores and fast food outlets to encourage the owners to pay their workers more?

I feel safe saying that fast food workers are probably median low skill workers, and the fact that they pay lower is typical. I understand that they pay as little as possible to maximize profits. When I was in retail, I advocated finding people that were more valuable to the company, and paying them more. I have been out of the low skill employment area for quite awhile however.

Edit: And you should know better than to assume.

expect in the service industry up here in Traverse City where the hotels and resorts will just import workers from jamaica to keep the wages down

expect in the service industry up here in Traverse City where the hotels and resorts will just import workers from jamaica to keep the wages down

Law of supply and demand works here too. They are merely increasing the supply.

Amazing what a booming economy will do to wages....and all without any fight over a minimum wage.

walmart-480x360.jpg

The Walton Family: The New Koch Brothers? | Pocket Full Of Liberty

In a place where the average 1 BR/1 BA 700 square foot apartment is well over $2,000, even $20 an hour is still a s***ty wage. So Walmart workers in North Dakota will still suffer from living in poverty in North Dakota just as they do everywhere else.

yeah but its artificially changing it. with almost an endless supply of cheap labor supply and demand really doesnt work

Who doesn't?

Well considering that the market dictates what you get, the places with the shittiest wages get the shittiest workers in aggregate, so I would say whoever doesn't want the bottom of the barrel with respect to employees. I am comfortable saying that when I go into a Wal-mart, I am witnessing the bottom of the barrel.

Why must we defer to the immorality of supply and demand law? Aren't we better than that?

Why must we defer to the immorality of supply and demand law? Aren't we better than that?

Clarification please. I know everyone's busy and may type posts that can be misunderstood when in a hurry.

Are you saying that the law of supply and demand is immoral?

Clarification please. I know everyone's busy and may type posts that can be misunderstood when in a hurry.

It is code for 'communism is best'

I feel safe saying that fast food workers are probably median low skill workers, and the fact that they pay lower is typical. I understand that they pay as little as possible to maximize profits. When I was in retail, I advocated finding people that were more valuable to the company, and paying them more. I have been out of the low skill employment area for quite awhile however.

Edit: And you should know better than to assume.

So you don't pay more than market, but think others should?

So you don't pay more than market, but think others should?

How the hell did you get that from what I said?

I don't think this is a far criticism to make. I don't think you have a play by rules you think are fair at the detriment to yourself when others don't (aren't forced) to play by those rules. I think it's totally fair to be critical of a set of rules while still playing within those rules.

I'd like to see the tax laws changes to a more flat, less deduction situation. It may make my taxes go up a little bit, but I think it's a fairer, much more cost effective way to tax. But until everyone pays according to those taxes I'm certainly not going to calculate what should or shouldn't be fair (in my eyes) and then pay that, even if it's more than what I would pay in the old system.

I don't think this is a far criticism to make. I don't think you have a play by rules you think are fair at the detriment to yourself when others don't (aren't forced) to play by those rules. I think it's totally fair to be critical of a set of rules while still playing within those rules.

I'm pretty sure if TS was an NFL coach who didn't like instant replay, he'd never throw his challenge flag.

You lost me here.

I'd like to see the tax laws changes to a more flat, less deduction situation. It may make my taxes go up a little bit, but I think it's a fairer, much more cost effective way to tax. But until everyone pays according to those taxes I'm certainly not going to calculate what should or shouldn't be fair (in my eyes) and then pay that, even if it's more than what I would pay in the old system.

I am not sure how taxes comes into the discussion. It is a bad comparison IMO. You have apples to apples in one and something else here.

The classic example IMO is when Al Gore started his whole climate change and footprint thing and was leaving a MUCH bigger one than the average person. Do as I say not as I do...type deal. For those with a brain they become offended when someone is preaching one thing for the 'betterment' of us all and not following what they preach.

Walmart pays and will continue to pay the bare minimum and they should...same with a small business owner. You get what you pay for. Walmart is a successful company based on those practices....so it worked for them.

I know this wasn't for me, but I think its amoral, not immoral.

You lost me here.

I am not sure how taxes comes into the discussion. It is a bad comparison IMO. You have apples to apples in one and something else here.

The classic example IMO is when Al Gore started his whole climate change and footprint thing and was leaving a MUCH bigger one than the average person. Do as I say not as I do...type deal. For those with a brain they become offended when someone is preaching one thing for the 'betterment' of us all and not following what they preach.

Walmart pays and will continue to pay the bare minimum and they should...same with a small business owner. You get what you pay for. Walmart is a successful company based on those practices....so it worked for them.

So, for clarity, your position is for one to be qualified as having a brain they must be unnecessarily offended by a perceived insult based on ones own misconception?