Unlock the Shrine

Brad Ausmus hired as new Tigers manager

I'm not 100% behind this move because of his lack of managerial experience, but I'm not against the hire. I'm hoping for the best.

Good interview. Dave appeared very comfortable with his guy.

Ausmus says there advantages to sabermetrics but he doesn't believe they should be the bible. Good answer.

I heard multiple questions setting it up on a Tee for Brad to say he was "honored" or something similar.....I never heard him say anything like that....he seems simultaniously cocky and scared to death....

I heard multiple questions setting it up on a Tee for Brad to say he was "honored" or something similar.....I never heard him say anything like that....he seems simultaniously cocky and scared to death....

He just said excited on FSD. Admitted its all gonna pretty fast.

DD said they were going to interview Larkin but he decided he couldn't commit the time to manage a team.

Please stop trolling.

Wow, you gathered all that. Are you an FBI profiler or something. Is "Criminal Minds" based on you?

He's a good interview- said all the right things. He talked about boiling down stats and information to just the most important points and providing something useful to players. He hinted at being flexible with his bullpen depending on the team they were playing against or the situation of the game. He talked about how there is a fine line to making sure a team doesn't steal off your pitcher and, yet, making sure that the pitcher's main priority is getting the guy out at the plate. He touched on being aggressive on the base paths and taking advantage of opportunities (going an extra base, running to second on a ball in the dirt, etc.) when they present themselves. He also stressed communication above all else and always thinking one step ahead. Finally, he spent awhile talking about the bullpen; monitoring how many pitches they are throwing, getting them up at the right time, making sure they don't get up and sit down too often in the pen, etc.

I can see why he'd do well in a job interview. He's very composed, thinks through answers well and is definitely very bright. Now, it just depends if he can execute. We'll see.

It's gonna be fun seeing you twist yourself into a pretzel explaining why all the things you said in defense of JL over the years suddenly won't apply to Ausmus in the coming seasons.

I've decided that I hate Brad Ausmus because he forced Jim Leyland to retire.

I want to like this move...but I still think it's very high risk. The tigers must have hated all the experienced options on the market and decided they needed to take a risk, because that's what this is. It could go spectacularly well or be an utter failure. I'm disappointed that we didn't at least try to make a play for an experienced manager that wasn't on the market (take your pick) via a trade. Maybe we did and there just wasn't a deal to be made. But you heard nothing about the tigers trying to do that.

Brad Asmus is so smart that he can recite "Casey at the Bat", backwards from memory in ancient Aramaic.

Brad Asmus is so smart in his thesis at Dartmouth, he successfully defined the universe and gave three examples.

Enough teasing about the skipper's smarts. I like this pick. A new face was needed. The coaching staff changes will be a plus. Depending what his role trully was in SD, DD might have got someone who might be better at taking suggestions and a little more communicative than JL.

Teams rarely make trades for managers because it doesn't make much sense to give up good players for managers.

I want to like this move...but I still think it's very high risk. The tigers must have hated all the experienced options on the market and decided they needed to take a risk, because that's what this is. It could go spectacularly well or be an utter failure. I'm disappointed that we didn't at least try to make a play for an experienced manager that wasn't on the market (take your pick) via a trade. Maybe we did and there just wasn't a deal to be made. But you heard nothing about the tigers trying to do that.

meh our team is fairly idiot proof. You bat miggy, fielder, victor 3-4-5 and you let the starters throw 120 pitches.