Unlock the Shrine

Brad Ausmus hired as new Tigers manager

We don't know Ausmus can coach or manage. I liked Todd Helton's approach to hitting and he seems like a well respected guy. I think he's worth considering if he's interested.

You know, considering MLB teams are allowed to have 2 hitting coaches, this might not be as out of the question as I had originally thought. I mean, there would need to be mutual interest and a coaching vacancy. But if Ausmus chooses a blend of experienced coaches with some new blood, it might be worth some serious thought.

I am very interested to see what the coaching staff looks like. Mention of Brocail earlier in the thread, and I know he was reassigned within the Astros organization. I wonder if he eventually makes his way over as a bullpen coach or maybe somewhere else in the organization. Perhaps not. I do recall Toledo pitching coach AJ Sager was to take on a different role in the organization (roving instructor?), and I don't remember if Parrish or the Tigers have a AAA pitching coach in place. Brocail may not be any great shakes as a coach, I don't know. Like I said, just curious to see what other coaching changes are made and what connections to Ausmus those folks might have.

When the fielder has a choice, he asks Brad Ausmus.

Sure, that's because Ausmus is well versed in Jedi mind tricks.

Neither DD nor Brad Ausmus know if Ausmus will be a good manager. They're making educated guesses.

If he wins, the choice will be hailed as inspired. If he loses, he will be thought of as out of touch with his players, or some other equally nebulous fault.

I like this pick because it will entertain us for most of the winter. I hope he will be good, but I have no idea if he will.

Sure, that's because Ausmus is well versed in Jedi mind tricks.
They used his foreskin as a tarp to cover the infield after the last game at Tiger stadium. It was auctioned off on ebay for $12,000.

Brad had everyone worried until it was revealed that his birthmark was just 999 upside down.

Speaking of Chris Gomez, I did not realize Andujar Cedeno is dead. He died a long time ago.

Yes which makes his homer that he hit that I caught and his autogrpah that much more valuable. I belive together there are worth 50 cents.

(he died in a car wreck in his native country)

I'm curious if he'll have the balls to give Fielder a day off if he's struggling. That's a move that can either earn you the respect of the clubhouse or lose it.

I'm curious if he'll have the balls to give Fielder a day off if he's struggling. That's a move that can either earn you the respect of the clubhouse or lose it.

Maybe Fielder won't struggle making the point moot.

Maybe Fielder won't struggle making the point moot.

Ausmus is bringing Cecil along with him. He will be the babysitting coach, so Prince won't have to worry about his kids being well cared for and he can focus on not being horrible in the playoffs.

This is a strange time to have a press conference, with football going on today.

This is a strange time to have a press conference, with football going on today.

Brad Ausmus is more important than the NFL. I expect them to break into the televised games and broadcast the press conference nationally.

Maybe he can pinch hit for Avila.

Probably a better defender than Alex.

Put him in cleats and get it done.

Brad Ausmus is more important than the NFL. I expect them to break into the televised games and broadcast the press conference nationally.

They would if the Red Sox had a new manager

I'm not too enamored with Jeff Jones. This is the same guy who was fired as bullpen coach because the bullpen was terrible and now is beloved as a pitching coach. If the pitchers want him back fine. Lloyd on the other hand, I think has run his course. Everyone who signs with the Tigers seems to have a decrease in walks. Fielder was a 100+ walks for three straight years in Milwaukee and decreased to 85 and 75. Hunter was never a high walk guy, but he comes Detroit and posts one of his worst walk totals. Martinez was about a 60 walk guy who declined to about 40. It seems the Tigers liked to teach aggressive hitting. Hopefully they bring in a coach who preaches discipline. If we are looking at former 1990's ball players, Giambi has been campaigning for a job. Bring him on as hitting coach.

I agree completely that this team is waaaayyyy too aggressive hitting-style-wise. I'm also troubled by the trend towards fewer walks. I would like to see more.

Maybe he can pinch hit for Avila.

Probably a better defender than Alex.

Put him in cleats and get it done.

This is why they didn't bring Pena back.

Not for people who correctly think that the NFL sucks.

Plus they don't want the story lingering after the leak. I don't think the NFL had any bearing.