Unlock the Shrine

Brad Ausmus hired as new Tigers manager

This should prove once again you can never take anything Dombrowski says seriously. He says he wanted a guy with experience and hires the guy with the least experience.

I doubt we make the playoffs now

The only reasons we would miss the playoffs are injuries or other teams just outperforming us. It won't be because we have a rookie manager.

He also said "but I'm going to keep an open mind to other options", but everyone just ignored that part.

Dombrowski never commits all the way. Ask him if today is Sunday and he'll say "my phone says its sunday so probably..."

Chris Gomez?

As far as people saying it's a great hire or a horrible hire - nobody knows. We have no idea and no record to go on. Just hope for the best. I don't like or hate this hire.

Well, my only question is whether Ausmus is actually smart or if he's just smart because he has a good education, was a catcher, and is young

I heard he reads books

Like everyone else, I have no idea how this will turn out, but I like that they are hiring someone who I think will be a modern manager. I've always had the impression the Tigers were an old school organization and that's not necessarily a bad thing, but I've wanted to see them get a little more up to date. This might be a move in that direction. I don't know if it will end up being a good thing, but I'm looking forward to seeing what happens.

I'm not too enamored with Jeff Jones. This is the same guy who was fired as bullpen coach because the bullpen was terrible and now is beloved as a pitching coach. If the pitchers want him back fine. Lloyd on the other hand, I think has run his course. Everyone who signs with the Tigers seems to have a decrease in walks. Fielder was a 100+ walks for three straight years in Milwaukee and decreased to 85 and 75. Hunter was never a high walk guy, but he comes Detroit and posts one of his worst walk totals. Martinez was about a 60 walk guy who declined to about 40. It seems the Tigers liked to teach aggressive hitting. Hopefully they bring in a coach who preaches discipline. If we are looking at former 1990's ball players, Giambi has been campaigning for a job. Bring him on as hitting coach.

Yes Lloyd, but more importantly, JL, was a disciple of aggressive hitting. It will be one of the more interesting things to watch to see how much of that approach is/was systemic with DD and how much of it passes with JL.

Jones OTOH-I don't know how a tiger fan can fail to be a Jones fan after seeing Max's curve, Porcello's steady evolution, and Verlander's absolute return to dominance after the rocky 1st half. Jones seems to know how to help guys get right. As far as I have been able to see, Jones and Belliard are the only two guys on the current staff (and I'm including JL here) that have ever seemed to make a contribution to guys on the Tigers becoming better players. Most managers want their own Pitching coaches, and I understand that, but I'm pretty well persuaded any manager could do a lot worse than Jeff Jones looking after his starting horses.

Edited by Gehringer_2

Well, he is young and has a degree. Therefore, he has to be a cybermatristic like everyone else.

I understand keeping a guard up about this hire. There is no track record from which to gauge what he might or might not do as a manager. Of course this is not to say that he will be unsuccessful either.

I didn't really feel too strongly one way or another about any of the candidates. It is kind of interesting to have a couple of players from the organization in the mix (Lovullo as well) and another candidate that was kind of out of no where in Wallach. I guess we will just have to wait and see how this shakes out.

I'm with you, I don't feel too strongly about it because I don't know anything about Ausmus's philosophy, at least not in the way I saw the Cubs' future with Dusty Baker coming from a mile away in 2003.

I mean, like most everyone else, I'd like Ausmus to be Joe Maddon, at least as far as the use of in-depth performance analysis and the courage to buck conventional wisdom with in-game strategy goes. (I don't really care whether Brad Ausmus has themed dress-ups on road trips.)

But Joe Maddon works only because the Tampa Bay Rays are the Tampa Bay Rays. The Tigers are, as far as I can tell, nothing like that organization. That's why I am doubtful this is any kind of sea change toward a "new school" of managing and in-game philosophy. But, I am hoping to be proven wrong and eager to be won over.

I doubt we make the playoffs now

Well, if you want to feel better, Mike Matheny was an almost identical hire (except not as smart!) and has turned out to mostly be a horrible in game manager (WHERE IS SHELBY MILLER??), and his team just went to the World Series.

So I suspect the Tigers will do OK no matter how Ausmus turns out.

Will Shortz hates Brad Ausmus because he can do the Sunday New York Times crossword in 10 minutes.

Brad Ausmus memorized Maxwell's equations in kindergarten.

Brad Ausmus gave lectures to Richard Feynman.

Brad Ausmus knows what happens inside of a black hole.

I have no idea what Ausmus will be like. But I know what Gene, Lloyd, Charlie Manuel, Dusty Baker, Eric Wedge, et al, will be like, and I'd prefer to see if someone else could be better. Ausmus seems like a good candidate to be better.

I think Ausmus most important job is going to be managing the clubhouse of a veteran team with high expectations.

It won't matter at all how smart he is or how highly thought of in baseball circles if he walks into that clubhouse and can't earn the respect of the team.

IMO, it's a risky hire by Dave. But, as we have seen with DD in the past, he's not afraid to take a chance.

I know Leyland was prone to down playing the role he played in managing the clubhouse, I think he was being modest. I feel it's more then just " a winning team makes for good chemistry."

To be clear, I'm not saying I don't like the hire, I do. I'm just saying I think it was a bit risky considering the type of veteran team we have and the expectations that have been placed on them to reach the playoffs again

I'm with you, I don't feel too strongly about it because I don't know anything about Ausmus's philosophy, at least not in the way I saw the Cubs' future with Dusty Baker coming from a mile away in 2003.

I mean, like most everyone else, I'd like Ausmus to be Joe Maddon, at least as far as the use of in-depth performance analysis and the courage to buck conventional wisdom with in-game strategy goes. (I don't really care whether Brad Ausmus has themed dress-ups on road trips.)

But Joe Maddon works only because the Tampa Bay Rays are the Tampa Bay Rays. The Tigers are, as far as I can tell, nothing like that organization. That's why I am doubtful this is any kind of sea change toward a "new school" of managing and in-game philosophy. But, I am hoping to be proven wrong and eager to be won over.

Brad Ausmus is nothing like Joe Maddon. The Tigers are nothing like the Rays.

Brad Ausmus memorized Maxwell's equations in kindergarten.

Brad Ausmus gave lectures to Richard Feynman.

Brad Ausmus knows what happens inside of a black hole.

When the fielder has a choice, he asks Brad Ausmus.