Unlock the Shrine

Brad Ausmus hired as new Tigers manager

Giambi has already signed a minor league deal with Cleveland. My guess is that Francona and/or Cleveland has a coaching arrangement with him when he decides his playing days are over.

Then I choose Todd Helton.

It's been posted in this thread that Ausmus definitely knows and respects sabermetrics. I myself haven't seen that written anywhere else with by someone in a position to know. Maybe it has been. I don't know.

I didn't say it's impossible to be 100% excited and not have any idea how he'll actually do. In fact, it's very possible, because some people here appear to fulfill both those criteria.

Well, he is young and has a degree. Therefore, he has to be a cybermatristic like everyone else.

I understand keeping a guard up about this hire. There is no track record from which to gauge what he might or might not do as a manager. Of course this is not to say that he will be unsuccessful either.

I didn't really feel too strongly one way or another about any of the candidates. It is kind of interesting to have a couple of players from the organization in the mix (Lovullo as well) and another candidate that was kind of out of no where in Wallach. I guess we will just have to wait and see how this shakes out.

Do we know he can coach?

We don't know Ausmus can coach or manage. I liked Todd Helton's approach to hitting and he seems like a well respected guy. I think he's worth considering if he's interested.

I'm not too enamored with Jeff Jones. This is the same guy who was fired as bullpen coach because the bullpen was terrible and now is beloved as a pitching coach. If the pitchers want him back fine.

Jones was fired as bullpen coach? I thought he was promoted from bullpen coach to pitching coach when Chuck Hernandez was fired.

This is the guy I wanted to get the job. Wallach was my second pick. I know Matheny's name is mentioned a lot when discussing this hiring. For whatever reason I envision Ausmus to be a Girardi type. I don't think he'll have any trouble with the egos on this team. They all want to win and they all know the clock is ticking.

Jones was fired as bullpen coach? I thought he was promoted from bullpen coach to pitching coach when Chuck Hernandez was fired.

He was fired and then re-hired and half way through the season they fired Rick Knapp.

I won't pretend to know how good Ausmus will be. I like the upside & the thought that he may be a bit more "new school." However the last time DD hired a manager that wowed him in interviews it was Trammell. I love Tram but that hire was a disaster. I am more excited about Ausmus than if it had been Lloyd.

I dont see any correlation between that hiring and this one. Tram was hired when the organization as a whole was bereft of talent. DD said then what the GM is supposed to say when making a new hire but there was no realistic expectation beyond him being a caretaker/placeholder. There are WS expectations for Ausmus so I just dont see how you can connect the dots here.

The freep flashed back to the second Ausmus trade. All I say is ugh....

Smith swapped catcher Brad Ausmus and relievers Doug Brocail and Nelson Cruz to the Houston Astros. In return, the Tigers received three players in their 20s: outfielder Roger Cedeno, who will try to fill the void at leadoff and is in line to replace the almost-gone Juan Gonzalez in rightfield; right-hander Chris Holt, who takes the No. 4 rotation spot; and catcher Mitch Meluskey, a switch-hitter who has shown power potential and replaces Ausmus.

Brocail, a thick thread in the Tigers’ competitive fabric, is sad to leave. He and Ausmus were part of the team’s veteran core.

Referring to the Tigers, Brocail said: “The circumstances are, they’re giving up.”

A baseball official familiar with the players had a different assessment. This official, who spoke on the condition that he not be identified, said: “Talent-wise, Detroit got the better of the deal.”

Texas GM Doug Melvin said: “I like the deal that Randy made.”

Flashback: The day the Tigers traded Ausmus (for the second time) | Detroit Free Press | freep.com

I think he was fired in the early(ish) 2000s but the Tigers realized their mistake and brought him back, then he assumed the pitching coach gig mid-2011 after Rick Knapp got fired.

I like Jones and hope they retain him.

I won't pretend to know how good Ausmus will be. I like the upside & the thought that he may be a bit more "new school." However the last time DD hired a manager that wowed him in interviews it was Trammell. I love Tram but that hire was a disaster. I am more excited about Ausmus than if it had been Lloyd.

Its not like Trammell had the world's most amazing talent to work with.

I think he was fired in the early(ish) 2000s but the Tigers realized their mistake and brought him back, then he assumed the pitching coach gig mid-2011 after Rick Knapp got fired.

I like Jones and hope they retain him.

He was fired after the 2008 season and then re-hired a month later.

I don't think I could be happier with any other manager pick. Always liked Ausmus as a player. He's young, intelligent, and overall a good pedigree.

I'm going to go out on a limb and say he'll have a long tenure with the Tigers and will a World Series winning manager a couple times over.

None of this will probably happen, but this is the kind of thread that could get bumped in 13 years and I want to see my bold prediction get lauded for its accuracy or quoted and mocked for its absurdity. Or both.

I was dreading the thought of just about any other option out there. Especially the thought of Chris Gomez.