Unlock the Shrine

Brad Ausmus hired as new Tigers manager

I don't know anything about Ausmus' managerial skills and won't pretend like I do.

My most memorable impression was his role in the closing of Tiger Stadium and Ausmus saying "Once a Tiger, always a Tiger." I guess he was right.

Ausmus and Jeff Jones have a previous connection too. In addition to Lamont, he's probably the most likely of the other coaches to return.

I'm not sure if they actually have any insight, but it seemed like the general consensus among the local best writers was that McClendon was going to get the job unless someone blew DD away in the interview process. It turns out that Ausmus blew him away.

Love the upside/change. DD is a pretty cautious guy, so for him to hire a guy with no manger experience and no real DD relationship means he must have really knocked some socks off in that interview. Good start to the offseason.

Brad Ausmus was my favorite Tiger of the '90s so I am happy about this move. He is also supposedly a "new age" guy who knows/respects sabermetrics. I don't think they'll have to worry so much about the players running amok with a young inexperienced manager either. Leylans said they are pretty good about policing themselves.

I won't pretend to know how good Ausmus will be. I like the upside & the thought that he may be a bit more "new school." However the last time DD hired a manager that wowed him in interviews it was Trammell. I love Tram but that hire was a disaster. I am more excited about Ausmus than if it had been Lloyd.

I like it because it shows an eye to the long term and not just this window. McClendon would have been a safe and easy pick.... business as usual.

It wouldn't be the same without Muffin Top. ;)

That's not a muffin top that's a Jiffy popcorn top. It looks like his belly is about to bust open

I love Tram but that hire was a disaster.

With the team Trammell was handed, anyone would have been a disaster. I don't know how Alan would have done with a decent team but I do know he really never got a chance

That's not a muffin top that's a Jiffy popcorn top. It looks like his belly is about to bust open

I think he always works on his six pack in the offseason but always comes back with a keg.

Wow. Stunner.

Next thing you know, Dombrowski will surprise us by upgrading the bullpen and signing a solid bench!

If the solid bench includes Don Kelly then the Tigers are ready to roll.

I don't know how I feel about this move yet.

I understand people's optimism and enthusiasm. Brad Ausmus is an educated ex-catcher who is young for a manager, so I get the perception that he will be an innovative game strategist and tactician who will bring a fresh approach to what looks like a tired team, both physically and philosophically.

What I don't get quite yet is why people are firmly concluding this. I consider myself at least moderately well-read about current baseball issues, and I don't recall reading a single word indicating that Ausmus is a disciple of sabermetrics. Furthermore, nothing I've read about the Tigers puts them in the vanguard of applied advanced performance analysis. If anything, it seems to me as though the Tigers are slightly behind the curve on this. Not luddites like the Phillies or Angels, maybe, but certainly nothing close to the A's or Astros, either. But without the philosophy already firmly in place, I don't know how the hire of even a smart young guy at manager transforms an entire organization's thinking about this.

At first blush, this feels a little like the Dale Sveum hire the Cubs made a couple years ago. He was a guy relatively new to managing, too, and since he was a Theo Epstein hire, it was thought he would be a forward-thinker in terms of advanced performance analysis, or at least a useful tool which the Epstein administration could use to implement their "Moneyball" strategies. Instead, Sveum not only lost the clubhouse, but there were also whispers that he chafed under the non-traditional "cybermetric" direction of his general manager's regime. And now he's gone, the point being that fans knew nothing about Sveum in the first place. They simply made assumptions.

It feels to me that people are more excited by the idea of Brad Ausmus, as a wishful analog for Joe Maddon, then by Brad Ausmus the forward-thinking leader of men, about which I'm not sure any of us know.

I'm not saying I think Brad Ausmus is going to be Dale Sveum redux. All I'm saying is I'm not clear on whether Brad Ausmus is a sabermetrics guy, or that the Tigers are that kind of team. Unless something comes out about that during the coming winter, I'm going to assume neither is the case, and hope for the best.

Edited by chasfh

What I don't get is why you've taken a single post here as people firmly concluding anything. It's possible to be 100% excited about a hire and not have any idea how he'll actually do, which I'm pretty sure is the case with everyone here.

What I don't get is why you've taken a single post here as people firmly concluding anything. It's possible to be 100% excited about a hire and not have any idea how he'll actually do, which I'm pretty sure is the case with everyone here.

It's been posted in this thread that Ausmus definitely knows and respects sabermetrics. I myself haven't seen that written anywhere else with by someone in a position to know. Maybe it has been. I don't know.

I didn't say it's impossible to be 100% excited and not have any idea how he'll actually do. In fact, it's very possible, because some people here appear to fulfill both those criteria.

there is some twitter gibberish about how Jeff Jones wouldn't return if Gene Lamont was on the staff. Is that a misread?

there is some twitter gibberish about how Jeff Jones wouldn't return if Gene Lamont was on the staff. Is that a misread?

Chris Iott ‏@Chris_Iott 6h

@SteelTigersCavs I think Jeff Jones is likely to stick around. Beyond that, no idea on coaching staff.

Ausmus? Really? I like him as a person, but this is not a team you give to a rookie manager with absolutely no manager experience anywhere.Oh sorry, he managed Israel in the WBC, but they failed to qualify. Love the guy but he has done nothing to warrant a world series caliber team.

You guys can go ahead a flame away on me, but a special assistant to the GM don't make you a manager. Should he have a shot? sure, but not here not now.

I actually feel similar. I would have preferred a guy like Lovullo or the guy from the Dodgers... someone with experience as a manager and coaching at various levels.

That said, I do tend to trust DD. I suspect he's got a little better baseball knowledge than I do, so I hope this works out.

I'm not too enamored with Jeff Jones. This is the same guy who was fired as bullpen coach because the bullpen was terrible and now is beloved as a pitching coach. If the pitchers want him back fine. Lloyd on the other hand, I think has run his course. Everyone who signs with the Tigers seems to have a decrease in walks. Fielder was a 100+ walks for three straight years in Milwaukee and decreased to 85 and 75. Hunter was never a high walk guy, but he comes Detroit and posts one of his worst walk totals. Martinez was about a 60 walk guy who declined to about 40. It seems the Tigers liked to teach aggressive hitting. Hopefully they bring in a coach who preaches discipline. If we are looking at former 1990's ball players, Giambi has been campaigning for a job. Bring him on as hitting coach.

It's been posted in this thread that Ausmus definitely knows and respects sabermetrics. I myself haven't seen that written anywhere else with by someone in a position to know. Maybe it has been. I don't know.

I didn't say it's impossible to be 100% excited and not have any idea how he'll actually do. In fact, it's very possible, because some people here appear to fulfill both those criteria.

Every team uses sabermetrics, not sure why anyone would be hung up on that. They also deal with the human element, letting players work through slumps, using the bench a lot to keep everyone fresh, rotating bullpen roles to keep everyone rested yet sharp, developing players by exposing them to situations they are not yet good at. All things fans hate.

I'm not too enamored with Jeff Jones. This is the same guy who was fired as bullpen coach because the bullpen was terrible and now is beloved as a pitching coach. If the pitchers want him back fine. Lloyd on the other hand, I think has run his course. Everyone who signs with the Tigers seems to have a decrease in walks. Fielder was a 100+ walks for three straight years in Milwaukee and decreased to 85 and 75. Hunter was never a high walk guy, but he comes Detroit and posts one of his worst walk totals. Martinez was about a 60 walk guy who declined to about 40. It seems the Tigers liked to teach aggressive hitting. Hopefully they bring in a coach who preaches discipline. If we are looking at former 1990's ball players, Giambi has been campaigning for a job. Bring him on as hitting coach.

Giambi has already signed a minor league deal with Cleveland. My guess is that Francona and/or Cleveland has a coaching arrangement with him when he decides his playing days are over.

Maybe they realized firing the bullpen coach due to having ****** relievers was stupid.