Unlock the Shrine

Brad Ausmus hired as new Tigers manager

I predict most fans will like Ausmus at first and then gradually start disliking him as the years go along and they get familiar with his strategies. That's how it usually goes with managers.

I remember reading the Indians forum and they were grumbling about Francona after the Tigers swept the Indians in that four game season. When you inherit a team like this, the leash will be short.

I doubt that an outfield instructor can actually help that much, but I hope Clark is able to help Jackson's defense out. He's gotten so much worse out there as of late.

Jackson was was one of the best technique OF I have ever seen and I don't think he has forgotten how to play CF - No, I don't think coaching is the problem. Instead I'd guess he has been in a place where he doesn't trust his hamstrings anymore and being afraid to go all out with the leg drive just kills an OF.

Somebody should punch Olney in the face. ;)

If I punched Olney in the face, would you guys fundraise enough for my bail here? Because I'll do it ! Thinks he's some sort of tough guy with a name like Buster...........we'll see.

If I punched Olney in the face, would you guys fundraise enough for my bail here? Because I'll do it ! Thinks he's some sort of tough guy with a name like Buster...........we'll see.

You can if you want to but I think that it would be better to pick out someone that everyone approves of, someone like Jeff Jones. And then punch him in the face.

I think Ken Rosenthal would be more your caliber.

On 11/3/2013 at 3:07 PM, thefunk said:

Managers don't matter.

Me four years ago....so young. So naive. 

What an idiot.

• Like 1

it all started with the miller lite....

I admit to being nervous about that but tried to be positive and defend it.  I shouldn't have.

1 hour ago, John_Brian_K said:

I killed it in this thread...makes me smile to look back and see it.

So you had a good time at brag camp?

On 9/28/2017 at 5:47 PM, thefunk said:

Me four years ago....so young. So naive. 

What an idiot.

You had it right back then.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, John_Brian_K said:

I killed it in this thread...makes me smile to look back and see it.

In order, why the Tigers now suck:

Players like Cabrera getting older and inconsistent
Bad acquisitions by our new GM
A whole bunch of other things
The manager

But sure, pat yourself on the back if you feel that's appropriate. 

On 11/3/2013 at 6:48 AM, chasfh said:

I don't know how I feel about this move yet.

I understand people's optimism and enthusiasm. Brad Ausmus is an educated ex-catcher who is young for a manager, so I get the perception that he will be an innovative game strategist and tactician who will bring a fresh approach to what looks like a tired team, both physically and philosophically.

What I don't get quite yet is why people are firmly concluding this. I consider myself at least moderately well-read about current baseball issues, and I don't recall reading a single word indicating that Ausmus is a disciple of sabermetrics. Furthermore, nothing I've read about the Tigers puts them in the vanguard of applied advanced performance analysis. If anything, it seems to me as though the Tigers are slightly behind the curve on this. Not luddites like the Phillies or Angels, maybe, but certainly nothing close to the A's or Astros, either. But without the philosophy already firmly in place, I don't know how the hire of even a smart young guy at manager transforms an entire organization's thinking about this.

At first blush, this feels a little like the Dale Sveum hire the Cubs made a couple years ago. He was a guy relatively new to managing, too, and since he was a Theo Epstein hire, it was thought he would be a forward-thinker in terms of advanced performance analysis, or at least a useful tool which the Epstein administration could use to implement their "Moneyball" strategies. Instead, Sveum not only lost the clubhouse, but there were also whispers that he chafed under the non-traditional "cybermetric" direction of his general manager's regime. And now he's gone, the point being that fans knew nothing about Sveum in the first place. They simply made assumptions.

It feels to me that people are more excited by the idea of Brad Ausmus, as a wishful analog for Joe Maddon, then by Brad Ausmus the forward-thinking leader of men, about which I'm not sure any of us know.

I'm not saying I think Brad Ausmus is going to be Dale Sveum redux. All I'm saying is I'm not clear on whether Brad Ausmus is a sabermetrics guy, or that the Tigers are that kind of team. Unless something comes out about that during the coming winter, I'm going to assume neither is the case, and hope for the best.

Sigh.

World keep turning.

• Like 1