Unlock the Shrine

Brad Ausmus hired as new Tigers manager

As much as I love Jim, I hated the "gut feeling" management. With a guy like Ausmus, I think there will be more logic put into lineups and bullpen management.

I like this hire. He has no managing experience, but he's very smart and supposedly knows a lot about pitching. The question is how well he'll handle the clubhouse. I'll just have to trust Dombrowski on that. He must have been really impressed with him if he hired him without experience.

I like this hire. He has no managing experience, but he's very smart and supposedly knows a lot about pitching. The question is how well he'll handle the clubhouse. I'll just have to trust Dombrowski on that. He must have been really impressed with him if he hired him without experience.

Someone mentioned awhile ago in a thread on here (can't remember the name, sorry to whoever it is) that part of his pitch might be that he will keep Lamont on as bench coach since he knows him from their time in Houston together. That seems like a pretty good theory to me and is a good way for him to get around his lack of experience.

Anyway, couldn't be happier, he was the #1 guy I wanted (well, he or Acta, didn't matter) and I think he'll prove to be pretty good in-game.

I'm honestly shocked. I have doubts as to how a 44 year old will be able to handle a veteran club like the Tigers, but I trust Dombrowski. I hope he's the **** that everyone says he is.

Welcome back Brad!

I'd guess Lamont is staying as bench coach to help with the transition of managing the clubhouse. They supposedly have a really good relationship.

It will be interesting to see who the hitting and pitching coaches are.

I hope he keeps Jones as pitching coach. Is it time to bring Leon Durham up to be Tigers hitting coach?

According to reports from the interviews Ausmus had last year, he came to interviews already prepared with a coaching staff picked out, so it seems unlikely imo.

I hope they told him he has to keep Jones though (if Jones wants to stay).

I'm honestly shocked. I have doubts as to how a 44 year old will be able to handle a veteran club like the Tigers, but I trust Dombrowski. I hope he's the **** that everyone says he is.

Welcome back Brad!

He's definitely an unknown, but they problably see this as similar to the Matheny hiring. Plus, they'll probably have Lamont around to help out with the clubhouse initially.

I'd guess Lamont is staying as bench coach to help with the transition of managing the clubhouse. They supposedly have a really good relationship.

It wouldn't be the same without Muffin Top. ;)

He's definitely an unknown, but they problably see this as similar to the Matheny hiring. Plus, they'll probably have Lamont around to help out with the clubhouse initially.

Right. And he obviously impressed DD, which is good enough to assuage my doubts. This is certainly a lot more exciting than Lloyd McClendon, who I would have been just fine with. I'm pretty stoked about this.

4YazhB57o_8

If he's a non-smoker Ausmus will have to hose down that office to clean out the smoke that's permeated everything.

And that couch should be saved and put on display somewhere, too. I understand that Leyland slept on it frequently instead of walking back to his place near the stadium. In 50 years it will still smell like smoke. That is sort of cool, actually.

The clubhouse thing is pretty overblown I think. I can't really remember any clubhouses that have completely gone off the rails in recent years besides the Red Sox in 2012. I'm probably forgetting some though.

I think the Tigers in 2005 had a lot of problems. I really don't know if the clubhouse stuff is overblown though because we don't see much of it. I'm pretty sure the on-field managing effect gets overblown by some.

The clubhouse thing is pretty overblown I think. I can't really remember any clubhouses that have completely gone off the rails in recent years besides the Red Sox in 2012. I'm probably forgetting some though.

It's like any work environment, though, bad leadership and a loss of respect for the manager likely has a trickle down effect on individual's performance and the team at large. I know Google does a ton of analytical work on their managers in their work environment and that's beginning to get studied in MLB clubhouses too. If someone is trying to manage a bunch of egos of guys who are sometimes worth millions and millions of dollars, there has to be a skill set there that made the Leyland's of the world especially adept at gaining their respect and why guys like Bobby Valentine lose their ball clubs.

Other duties, outside of bunting strategy, pinch hitting and issuing walks include: Game preparation, lineup construction, working different platoon advantages, defensive positioning and shifts, forming strategies against pitchers and against each hitter, knowing when and how often to give players breathers to keep them fresh throughout the season, proper utilization of the bullpen to maximize your best relievers in high-leverage situations, managing pitch counts for your starters and knowing when to take them out, etc. In the coming years, I imagine a lot more work will be released in the public domain to attempt to quantify the impact managers and their coaching staffs have on teams. Even if its only a couple games, that's actually a pretty big deal.

I really, really like the new age hire. I loom forward to see what Ausmus can do.

Edited by Scottwood

So, will Ausmus not automatically piss us off by looking forward to opportunities to sac bunt or for worshipping the sacred role of the closer? Or, are we just suffering from psychological projection for assuming he will really be different from most other managers?