JayVee

Leyland Stepping down as Manager

This kind of sucks. But I can see why. There were too many of our players that simply didn't have their heads in the game in this ALCS.

I don't know who can replace him, though. I can't believe people are suggesting Francona. There is no way I'd hire him.

I will miss Leyland. I remember where we were back 10 years ago when I moved out here and was wearing a Tigers hat on the beach in 2003. "Heyyy! Tigers! You guys will get back there!" And Leyland was the key.

Possibilities:

a person with significant ties to Venezuela.

a person with significant ties to current regime

a person with whom Dave Dombrowski has worked in the past

a person who is an up and comer

a person with ties to past Tiger glories?

Please Lord, no Rich Rod hires. Please Lord, no Larry Brown hires. Give us excellence and stability.

Carlos Guillen

I can't believe people are suggesting Francona. There is no way I'd hire him.

He's a proven winner that has won the World Series.

I don't know who can replace him, though. I can't believe people are suggesting Francona. There is no way I'd hire him.

Why not? I know that he is not a legit candidate here but all he has done is win lately. He improved the entire culture around the Indians franchise.

I had my quibbles with Leyland's tactical decisions, but 10 years ago I could never even imagine the success the Tigers have had under his leadership.

That being said, what is Grady Little doing nowdays? I always thought he got a raw deal in Boston.

I will miss Leyland. I remember where we were back 10 years ago when I moved out here and was wearing a Tigers hat on the beach in 2003. "Heyyy! Tigers! You guys will get back there!" And Leyland was the key.

Leyland and a few hundred million in contracts.

I would say the biggest strike against Carlos Guillen is that he lacks managing experience. He would need a strong bench coach. He's a former problem tippler too...so he would have to be watched.

He is a good man. But he has too many good players and they did not produce. Thats his job. He did not do THAT part of his job well. In fact it was a poor job. Im surprised he was not fired. He should have been.

I would say the biggest strike against Carlos Guillen is that he lacks managing experience. He would need a strong bench coach. He's a former problem tippler too...so he would have to be watched.

Was just my thought based on the criteria of that post. I don't think they would seriously look at him, although I do believe he could have a future as a manager.

I can't see them hiring Ozzie, but I don't think he'd be a bad choice, and he has won a World Series. But his volatility is a negative - a big one.

We keep dismissing the possibility of a rookie manager, but Mike Matheny, with NO experience at all, has done a really good job with St. Louis. Keep that in mind.

I have always thought Carlos Guillen would be a really good manager. The team knows him, the front office loves the guy and hasn't he worked as a special advisor with the team?

You don't like successful managers?

Gibson to Towers...If the Tigers job ever comes up....

Id almost bet the bank.

Is this a real quote or a conjecture?

When the Tigers were eliminated Saturday night in Game 6 against the Red Sox, Leyland told his team what some Tigers people had already suspected. After an eight-year run with the Tigers that included two trips to the World Series and four to the American League Championship Series, Leyland decided it was time to go.

Leyland told his players he had know for about a month, even citing a specific day, Sept. 7, when he made the decision, a person in the room said Monday morning. He asked the players and staff to keep quiet over the weekend, not wanting to take any attention away from the Red Sox winning the pennant.

Leyland revived the Tigers, but knew now that it was time to go - CBSSports.com

I have always thought Carlos Guillen would be a really good manager. The team knows him, the front office loves the guy and hasn't he worked as a special advisor with the team?

Carlos would have instant credibility with the players and obviously enormous good will with the fans. But given that our window to win a championship is not all that much longer, I don't think they risk it with a rookie manager.

I had my quibbles with Leyland's tactical decisions, but 10 years ago I could never even imagine the success the Tigers have had under his leadership.

That being said, what is Grady Little doing nowdays? I always thought he got a raw deal in Boston.

Leaving Pedro on the mound too long.

Classy move by Leyland to allow the Red Sox their moment, but for what it is worth I just don't like the idea of a rookie manager on a roster full of superstars where the expectation is a World Series.

Ozzie Guillen is a total goob, and not a good manager. No thanks.

Three guys who come to mind are Torey Lovullo, Travis Fryman, and Brad Ausmus. Don't care if they don't have major league experience, get the best man for the job.

Leaving Pedro on the mound too long.

Pedro was the best pitcher in the world and was under 120 pitches. Nobody would have batted an eye if Leyland did the same thing Saturday with Max Scherzer.

Classy move by Leyland to allow the Red Sox their moment, but for what it is worth I just don't like the idea of a rookie manager on a roster full of superstars where the expectation is a World Series.

It wont be a rookie.

And my guess is this hiring will happen fast, very fast.

I wonder how they do these kind of announcements on the plane flight home. Is this something they get on the intercom to do? Fasten your seatbelts, tray tables up for take-off, and listen up, Jim's got something he wants to say....

Or do they all try to huddle up over mid-plane after take-off? Seems like it would be kind of crowded and awkward with the seating.

Just curious.

I will echo the sentiment that it was too bad that the Francona window wasn't still open. I honestly don't know who else to go after. I don't think anyone within the organization will get it, and that's fine with me. I don't who outside of the organization would be a good fit. I know Gibson will be a popular name, but I just don't know about that, it seems like it would be more of a PR move than anything else. The name floated about in earlier posts that intrigues me is Joe Madden.