JayVee

Leyland Stepping down as Manager

Maybe there are a lot of innovative, far-sighted managers out there that are obviously superior to Leyland. I don't have the knowledge to assess whom they might be. They seem like a wash to me for the most part and my understanding is that there is little empirical evidence that managerial decisions count for much in the aggregate.

If your guys don't hit or the bullpen can't hold a lead I don't see what any other manager could have done. I am quite fond of Leyland as a person. I will miss him.

As far as taking a rookie manager, don't shut that door totally. Things are different now, it's a different game.

Dave Martinez could be a possibility. I keep thinking I would like to see Carlos Guillen at least as a coach on this team. I think he has manager potential - and the Tigers players and front office already know him.

He skirted it by talking about their contracts expiring 10/31/13 but didn't elaborate.

I think that's the same as essentially saying that their contracts are up and the new manager isn't going to be saddled with a staff that he hasn't picked. I don't think you can really say it any more plainly than what DD did, without actually saying saying it.

Ausmus is a good start. I've already been thinking of former catchers that would be a possibility. He has a history with the club. At least interview the guy. Don't want Acta and would prefer Leyland over Baker. I'd puke if this organization hired Baker.

I'm not really for or against any potential replacement, yet. But I would guess that most experienced managers who have had some degree of success in the Majors will probably be on the list. Baker, unfortunately. Manuel. Acta. Wedge, if healthy. Guillen. Geren. What happened to Willie Randoph, he had a .544 career WPCT as manager over 3+ seasons, never to get a second chance?

If DD was talking to TLR, I wonder if Jose Oquendo's name might have come up. I mean its a big topic annually around STL as to why Oquendo hasn't been hired as a manager. He was picked over Matheny. I don't know if he would be good? Just that everyone seems to have a high opinion of him and feel that he is manager material.. whatever that means these days.

Rod thinks Dombrowski will consult with the players.....I really don't think he will.

Let's hope not. This franchise needs a "take charge" Manager that can get this team over the hump, not a manager that is beholdin' to or intimidated by the players. It doesn't work on Wall Street and it usually doesn't work in professional sports either.

Let's hope not. This franchise needs a "take charge" Manager that can get this team over the hump, not a manager that is beholdin' to or intimidated by the players. It doesn't work on Wall Street and it usually doesn't work in professional sports either.

What can it hurt to consult the players? To ask them who they like, or what they'd like to see...it doesn't mean you have to do what they think

I am a little late to the game as I just got home from work. I listened to the whole thing unfold via the Ticket through iHeartradio. The one thing I did not hear or maybe I missed it was this; We all want to Credit Pudge and Magglio for the turnaround in Detroit, but I think we owe a debt of gratitude to Jim Leyland. He came to a club who had not been a winner in years, and really managed this club to a World Series in his first year. I understand he had some better pieces to work with but in reality, was that team better than this team? Nope. This off season was just a matter of a bunch of things all going wrong at one time. Whoever inherits this team is really blessed. I just hope it is not McClendon or Lamont.

Because the media consists of a bunch of morons. They google coaches who have been fired recently and decide that obviously Dombrowski is going to hire one of them. Isn't it a rule that you must hire a worn out retread manager?
The media also has a different agenda than a major league ballclub, maybe?

Sad news. I'll miss his personality.

Same here. Good guy who provided a very likeable and professional face to the organization. He deserves an 'appreciation day' at Comerica Park.

For those who are glad to see him go, 'careful what you wish for' applies.

The Tigers should hire Ausmus and lock him in a room with Girardi for a week to learn how Girardi handles the fat egos in NY. The only thing I'm finding on Ausmus has him in the Padres organization now. Is this correct?

So Leyland will stick around as SOMETHING for the Tigers...what do you guys think he ends up doing?

Scout?

Talent evaluater or something like that?

I am not sure where he would fit....Scout is the only job I can think of...

The vague "Special Assistant to the GM" tag, I would assume.

Just heard Mike Scoisia (spell check) as an option due to the thinking that he and Jerry DiPoto do not see eye to eye. I could get on board with this.

I like former catchers as managers.

I bet that DD has 2 or 3 he wants to talk to. He will have at least one "decoy" interivew.

The no list for me:

No Ozzie

No Baker

No Gibby

No current tiger MLB coach

The possibles:

Asmus

Bull Durham-- maybe

Manny Acta.

Bucky Showalter --under contract to the O's and probably not a goood fit if the clubhouse is self policing.

In addition to Ausmus, two other "up and coming" manager types are Dave Martinez (Rays bench coach) and Torey Lovullo (Red Sox bench coach).

Just heard Mike Scoisia (spell check) as an option due to the thinking that he and Jerry DiPoto do not see eye to eye. I could get on board with this.

How much of their lack of success in the last 2 years be attributed to this difference in philosophy?

I know players like Pujols and Josh Hamilton have either not performed as well as expected or have been injured. However in my mind there has only been one roster that stacks up with the Tigers in the AL the last 2 years and it has been the underperforming Angels.

For the most part I have always liked Scoisia, but the last few years would give me pause.

The last thing they need to do is alienate Cabrera, JV and a few others. Getting their buy in is good management.

I am a little late to the game as I just got home from work. I listened to the whole thing unfold via the Ticket through iHeartradio. The one thing I did not hear or maybe I missed it was this; We all want to Credit Pudge and Magglio for the turnaround in Detroit, but I think we owe a debt of gratitude to Jim Leyland. He came to a club who had not been a winner in years, and really managed this club to a World Series in his first year. I understand he had some better pieces to work with but in reality, was that team better than this team? Nope. This off season was just a matter of a bunch of things all going wrong at one time. Whoever inherits this team is really blessed. I just hope it is not McClendon or Lamont.

I agree. Leyland helped restore/ create a brand. And he's helped pave the way for the next manager who will inherit a much different culture than that which greeted Leyland.