JayVee

Leyland Stepping down as Manager

@Ken_Rosenthal: Sources: Leyland stepping down as #Tigers manager. Told team after end of ALCS.

Press conference at 11:30.

Edited by JayVee

@Ken_Rosenthal 1m

Told that Leyland informed #Tigers players after end of ALCS that it was time for someone younger to do the job. He is 68.

I'll miss Leyland. He did a lot to help turn this club around. He'll be criticized for his in game management and lack of WS ring, but he got us to playoffs several times. He also is supremely good at managing a clubhouse full of superstars.

Not a surprise at all. I will miss him tremendously -- he's the best we've had since Sparky.

I can't imagine the Tigers without Jim as the skip, as frustrating as he was at times. To bad he didn't retire last year with Francona available. I hope they take a look outside the origination, although I really don't know of anybody appealing. Just please, no Dusty Baker!

Brookens isn't that much younger. and if the job is handed in house to Lloyd, i'm done.

That blows. Depending on who they bring in it will be a down grade most likely.

People have been wishing for this for a while. I hope they get someone who can manage...I have fears they are not going to live up to the success.

I reserve the right to change my mind depending on who they bring in, but my immediate thought is that we do not make the playoffs next year.

Well this should make people happy. I'd be happier if Prince retired.

You would think so, but I'm sure most people are going to feel a tinge of sadness, even the biggest Leyland critics.

Whoever the Tigers bring in to replace Leyland will be a downgrade on paper, although he might end up being just as good or better in the long run.

I think people are really gonna wind up missing Jim.

I'm gonna miss him, he's the only Tigers manager I ever knew. He took the team to the playoffs four times, never got beat in the first round, two World Series. You know how many teams would kill for that in 7 years?

This job would be the gig of a lifetime for any manager. Great rotation, best hitter in the game, and a solid overall organization. Someone is going to get very lucky.

Edited by ben9753

I think people are really gonna wind up missing Jim.

I'm gonna miss him, he's the only Tigers manager I ever knew. He took the team to the playoffs four times, never got beat in the first round, two World Series. You know how many teams would kill for that in 7 years?

+1,000

Tiger fans quickly forget how terrible things were before Leyland arrived. Overall Leyland has done a tremendous job, and his era will be looked upon with fondness over time.

my immediate thought is that we do not make the playoffs next year.

This is absurd. Very few managers can turn a no-doubt playoff team into a non-playoff team.

Unless you think Cleveland, TB, Rangers, Yankees, etc all win significantly more games, thereby pushing a 90-win Tigers team out of the postseason, I just can't see it.

This job would be the gig if a lifetime for any manager. Great rotation, best hitter in the game, and a solid overall organization. Someone is going to get very lucky.

I'm sure Acta's agent is saying 'don't sign with Cubs so soon, might have quite a line-up to manage'.

I am going to put money on the Tigers to win the world series as soon as next years odds are released.

Exciting to see that a new manager will be coming in.

He made me crazy at times, but I still think he was one of the best mangers in the game and it's doubtful we'll get anyone better to replace him.

I wish Girardi was still available.

Time to remove the "?" from the thread title.

Jon Heyman ‏@JonHeymanCBS 8m

Jim Leyland is indeed stepping down. @Ken_Rosenthal reported 1st