Jeff6851

2013-14 Offseason Thread

Fielder's a top ten hitter in baseball so he still has a lot of value, especially to a team who may really need an elite-level bat. Both Boston and Florida were able to unload an enormous amount of salary space from a number of bad contracts just last season. They may need to package a quality asset with him, like Doug Fister, and/or eat some of his salary, but if they really want to move him then I think they'd be able to creatively make that work.

It will be interesting to see what they do.

I don't buy Prince being anywhere near top 10 anymore. His numbers have gotten worse for a couple seasons in a row now and his weight/age won't help him in the next few years.

Fielder's a top ten hitter in baseball so he still has a lot of value, especially to a team who may really need an elite-level bat. Both Boston and Florida were able to unload an enormous amount of salary space from a number of bad contracts just last season. They may need to package a quality asset with him, like Doug Fister, and/or eat some of his salary, but if they really want to move him then I think they'd be able to creatively make that work.

It will be interesting to see what they do.

The Red Sox were bailed out by the Dodgers. That was a unique situation because the Dodgers had just come out of a spending freeze. I am trying to think of who would bail the Tigers out with a package like you suggested. It would not be easy. One thing about trades that is that they usually come unexpected.

It's been said before but again, if the Tigers were willing to eat ~20-30m of Fielder's deal, say 30m, that would make him 7y/138m remaining, and I'm pretty sure Seattle would gladly take him. They've been trying, and failing terribly, to both sign free agents to massive deals and make franchise-ruining trades (Justin Upton) for years.

How about a 2014 Bench of Granderson/Davis, Peralta, Pena and Hernan?

I would love to have Granderson back. Gives some much needed power to the lineup, walks, speed, and I assume his defense would be at least average in a corner.

The Red Sox were bailed out by the Dodgers. That was a unique situation because the Dodgers had just come out of a spending freeze. I am trying to think of who would bail the Tigers out with a package like you suggested. It would not be easy. One thing about trades that is that they usually come unexpected.

Yeah I don't see who would be interested in that contract, nobody but us was willing to come close to it when he signed it so I don't think anybody would be interested in it now, 2 subpar years later and him 2 years older. OUr only hope is that this was just an outlier year for Prince caused by his personal problems and he will return to his old form next year because nobody is taking this contract without us either eating a bunch of the contract or giving up some other assets to entice a team to take it. Neither of which I'm a fan of.

I'd move FIelder in a heartbeat if I could. It probably won't happen though. If that's the case, I wouldn't mind seeing what we could get from Texas for Scherzer(or Sanchez?) and Martinez. I love Victor, but I think opening up that DH spot would be valuable. They'd both be great fits for the Rangers and they have some interesting pieces. I don't know if we could get Profar, but they have some good pitching prospects, starters and relievers as well as a high end 2B prospect. I bet the 2 teams could figure something out.

If no big trades are made you have to bring back Infante and Benoit, improve LF and add at least 2 other quality relief options. Ideally one lefty and one righty. THe relief market kind of sucks this year unfortunately.

I don't worry too much about contracts other than I don't want to watch him go into decline for the next seven years and keep playing because of the contract. He also prevents them from improving their infield defense and team speed because they have two, maybe three DHs. He's a bad fit for the team.

I look at three players that do not fit into the Tigers plan past 2014-- Max, Miggy and Prince. Maybe we stand pat on these for '14 and try tweaking our way to the WS. My heart would like to see us stand pat on these three. My head entertains other possibilities.

I look at three players that do not fit into the Tigers plan past 2014-- Max, Miggy and Prince. Maybe we stand pat on these for '14 and try tweaking our way to the WS. My heart would like to see us stand pat on these three. My head entertains other possibilities.

Why do you feel that Cabrera doesn't fit into our plans past next year?

Cabrera will likely be a tiger until he retires, and I'm okay with that.

So Jesse Crain has been a stellar reliever for Chicago the past few years, he's a free agent and he'll be 32 next season. I'd love to see him out of our bullpen next year.

Eric O'Flaherty is also available and he's been good for a few years. He'll be 29 next year. Bad news is that he tore an elbow ligament in May and was out for the season but that could bring down his price a little bit.

These two in the bullpen could make a world of difference.

Edited by Jeff6851

The bullpen obviosuly needs help, I think a healthy Rondon can really help. But it when it comes to signing players for the pen I am not sure I trust DD and his crew to get quality guys. The numbers said Veras wasn't a good pitcher, but that is the one Dombrowski went and got. At the beginning of this year they gave Valverde another shot, that says all you need to know about their pitcher evaluation.

Trade Porcello, move Smyly to the rotation and see if anything with Prince can be done. Miggy at 1st is much more appealing.

The bullpen obviosuly needs help, I think a healthy Rondon can really help. But it when it comes to signing players for the pen I am not sure I trust DD and his crew to get quality guys. The numbers said Veras wasn't a good pitcher, but that is the one Dombrowski went and got. At the beginning of this year they gave Valverde another shot, that says all you need to know about their pitcher evaluation.

Trade Porcello, move Smyly to the rotation and see if anything with Prince can be done. Miggy at 1st is much more appealing.

The reason they got those two is because no one else was really available. Teams with good pens were mostly competing this year and weren't going to give them up. Valverde was a panic move, I agree but I don't think it was made because of bad evaluation.

This might be my first post since the season ended. That last game really sucked.

The team doesn't need a major overhaul, but I would still consider trying one.

First, I would place prince on waivers during the winter meetings, hoping that there are teams looking to add an impact bat and giving them an alternative to bidding on a free agent. I would be fine with keeping prince, but my preference would be to let him go and open up third base for castellanos. That would also be an excuse to let him marinate in aaa for a few more months.

I would trade Porcello or fister, preferably Porcello, and hope to get back a good prospect and maybe some relief help.

I would try to get Benoit back on a two year deal.

I would give infante a qualifying offer, but only after offering him a two year deal at 11 per year.

I would tender contracts for almost all of the guys still under team control, but with the understanding that I will probably cut dirks in the spring after solving the left field issue.

If prince is gone, I would go hard after choo.

I would also try to trade Ajax, but it would depend on the return.

As for the bullpen, I would just play it by ear depending on whether smyly gets moved to the rotation, or Benoit is brought back.

Veras cost us next to nothing. I think that it was a good trade, given what was available and what we gave up.

I would like to see what a healthy Rondon gives us in a full season. Would also like a full year from a confident AlAl. I think that 2 good relievers with those two guys could give us a decent pen.

Utley accumulated 37.7 WAR in 5 seasons from 2005-09 and 15.9 WAR over the last 4 seasons. Infante is 10.2 WAR over the last 4 seasons and his 3.1 WAR this season marked a career high. You don't pay a player for what he did this year, you're paying for the player he has been for his entire career (and for what he will become).

You don't pay for what he's been for his entire career or for what he did this year. You pay for what he's going to do next year and for the life of whatever contract he signs.

If I could decide how things happened (and most of you will thank god I can't):

I would use one of our starting pitchers as leverage to trade Fielder. Package Fielder and either Porcello/Scherzer to someone. Immediate possible destinations would be Texas or NYY, both could afford the contracts. Obviously this would significantly reduce the prospect return for the SP but it would shed a huge contract and give us some flexibility going forward.

Smyly moves to the rotation, which obviously weakens our bullpen. I don't re-sign Benoit, I think he's done as a lights out reliever and will be overvalued. I non tender Coke. Dotel is gone. I try to sign Bonderman to a cheap deal as a long reliever/spot starter, I think with another year removed from his surgery he has a chance to be ok in that role. So my bullpen right now would be:

Bonderman

Downs/Alvarez/Ortega/Putkonen/Reed (2 of this group)

Veras

Alburquerque

Rondon

Obviously I'm looking for some more help there.

Avila at catcher.

With Fielder gone, I move Miggy back to 1st.

I try to sign Infante to a reasonable 2-3 year deal, if it can't be done I go with Perez.

Iglesias at Short.

I try to sign Peralta to a reasonable 2-3 year deal to play 3rd and he gives me some insurance if Iglesias hits like Ray Oyler. If Peralta won't sign for that I move Castellanos back to 3rd and use the $$ to sign an OF.

I've got 1 more year of Hunter in RF.

Jackson in CF

Castellanos gets the 1st shot in LF.

Victor at DH

Bench:

I try to re-sign Pena as back up catcher, otherwise it's Holaday or McCann.

I bring Dirks back as #4 OF and possible platoon partner for Castellanos

Santiago is gone.

Kelly is gone.

I spend my savings from the Fielder deal to upgrade the Kelly/Santiago bench positions and the bullpen, saving a chunk of it for a deadline deal once it's known where the greatest need is.

While difficult, I don't think trading Prince Fielder is as impossible as some believe. We may need to take back another team's bad contract, but that can definitely be a net-positive for both clubs. Fielder for Kinsler would make a lot of sense for both clubs. There would obviously need to be some other parts in there (Porcello? Harrison?), plus potentially some $$ from Detroit, but that trade would upgrade both clubs in my opinion.

Moving Fielder is a must. Everything else falls into place with him gone. Few seem to be mentioning it, but the reason Cabrera was hurt all season was because he was playing out of position at 3B (most of his injuries occurred on defense). With Miggy back at 1B, we then don't have to play Castellanos out of position when he is ready. The infield defense improves significantly.

I also move Scherzer this off-season for the best package of upper-level corner OF and/or 2B prospects I can get. With a new manager coming on board, I'll gladly lower my chances of a 2014 WS title if it means we can dramatically improve our chances in 2015 and beyond.

I wonder what Texas/Baltimore would give up for them. Baltimore would love another power hitter, Texas loves offense and both desperately need an ace.

Texas has an ace already in Darvish.

Now, I'm sure like every other team on the planet though, they'd like another one.

I can certainly understand the "Trade Fielder" talk, as his performance in the playoffs was just downright embarrassing.

But the fact is that he was a great hitter last year, and he had some major life issues this year he was coping with. Getting divorced with your high school sweetheart after you've come all this way has to be distracting. And he didn't have a single day off. In fact, he has the longest active streak of consecutive games played in all of MLB. Give him an offseason to clear his head, and then re-evaluate at the end of next year. Hitters of his caliber at his age are not a dime a dozen. It may be a few more years before another one is available on the free agent market.

I can certainly understand the "Trade Fielder" talk, as his performance in the playoffs was just downright embarrassing.

But the fact is that he was a great hitter last year, and he had some major life issues this year he was coping with. Getting divorced with your high school sweetheart after you've come all this way has to be distracting. And he didn't have a single day off. In fact, he has the longest active streak of consecutive games played in all of MLB. Give him an offseason to clear his head, and then re-evaluate at the end of next year. Hitters of his caliber at his age are not a dime a dozen. It may be a few more years before another one is available on the free agent market.

He needs to shed 50#s to prove he means to last as a MLB star.

Texas has an ace already in Darvish.

Now, I'm sure like every other team on the planet though, they'd like another one.

Can't believe I forgot about him, wow. I didn't get to watch much baseball after mid August :P

Re sign Infante, let Casty take over left field, trade Scherzer for a haul, let Smyly start as a 5th, keep Porcello as a 4th, hold your breathe on Cabbys health, hope to hell Prince gets over this divorce and goes back to .900+ OPS, hope Iggy can hit .250 at least, I want Peralta back, but I doubt that happens, hope Rondon can knock down an 8th inning spot, more bullpen help at closer, get rid of Santiago, thanks for the memories Kelly, keep Pena as the back up...maybe even splitting time with Avila...off the top of my head.

JV

Sanchez

Fister

Porcello

Smyly

Veras cost us next to nothing. I think that it was a good trade, given what was available and what we gave up.

I would like to see what a healthy Rondon gives us in a full season. Would also like a full year from a confident AlAl. I think that 2 good relievers with those two guys could give us a decent pen.

Veras also pitched reasonably well for us.