Jeff6851

2013-14 Offseason Thread

Infante is the second best free agent 2B on the open market. Since 2010, Infante has been a 2+ win player. Infate had a 3.1 WAR this year and Utley 3.9 and Utley signed for 12.5 million a year and is 3 years older.

Utley accumulated 37.7 WAR in 5 seasons from 2005-09 and 15.9 WAR over the last 4 seasons. Infante is 10.2 WAR over the last 4 seasons and his 3.1 WAR this season marked a career high. You don't pay a player for what he did this year, you're paying for the player he has been for his entire career (and for what he will become).

Utley accumulated 37.7 WAR in 5 seasons from 2005-09 and 15.9 WAR over the last 4 seasons. Infante is 10.2 WAR over the last 4 seasons and his 3.1 WAR this season marked a career high. You don't pay a player for what he did this year, you're paying for the player he has been for his entire career (and for what he will become).

Plenty of teams overpay. See, Y! SPORTS

He's not going anywhere. I'm not sure what there is to like about a below average corner outfielder with a sub 800 ops in AAA who lacks good plate discipline. He isn't ready and Hunter only has one year left and 3B may be opening up soon.

Lacks good plate discipline? 9.2% BB rate, 17.0% K rate in AAA this year, and those rates consistently improve as players age. Lack of discipline is the last of his problems.

Glad to see several people on the trade Prince bandwagon. Trading him, moving Miggy to 1B or DH, and improving the defense would go a long way. Unfortunately, I doubt anyone would take that contract.

Lacks good plate discipline? 9.2% BB rate, 17.0% K rate in AAA this year, and those rates consistently improve as players age. Lack of discipline is the last of his problems.

The only thing holding him back is his glove. I don't know much about his speed so I'm not sure if he'd basically be Jhonny playing the field

I don't understand the big rush to trade Fielder when he is at his lowest possible value. Even if he is tradable, who replaces his production? The better move, likely only move, is to hold on to him and see if he bounces back which is not unreasonable.

I don't understand the big rush to trade Fielder when he is at his lowest possible value. Even if he is tradable, who replaces his production? The better move, likely only move, is to hold on to him and see if he bounces back which is not unreasonable.

Theoretically, the idea is to move his salary and use the money to put together a more balanced team. Easier said than done of course. I don't think his value is going to change much since other teams probably expect him to bounce back too. The problem with him is his contract.

Theoretically, the idea is to move his salary and use the money to put together a more balanced team. Easier said than done of course. I don't think his value is going to change much since other teams probably expect him to bounce back too. The problem with him is his contract.

If they could find a team willing to do it and if they took on most of the contract (and thus we don't get much in return as far as players go) and if that money goes toward more defense and speed I'd be open to it. That's a lot of ifs that have to fall into place though.

I don't think Fielder's contract is preventing them from signing who they want. Fans make too much over contracts. With inflation and new TV deals, his contract isn't going to be as bad. You then still have to replace his production which isn't going to be easy this offseason.

Okay, there is probably a (very) good chance that Fielder will indeed hit 35 home runs and knock in 120 next season, BUT ... it is almost certain that his numbers will decrease greatly as he moves into further years of his contract.

It would be nice if we could package him with Scherzer, who it seems we don't have enough money to sign up, to the Yankees for Cano and others. Don't know who, but we need some speed and bullpen help; do they have that to offer? We would most definitely be putting the Yankees into the post season mix next year - it may hurt us terribly, maybe even for a few years without Scherzer - but the big (HUGE!) consolation would be that Prince would not be a Tiger for seven more years!

Edited by Tigers4F4

I don't think Fielder's contract is preventing them from signing who they want.

I don't worry too much about contracts other than I don't want to watch him go into decline for the next seven years and keep playing because of the contract. He also prevents them from improving their infield defense and team speed because they have two, maybe three DHs. He's a bad fit for the team.

Just wondering about whether Jair Jurrgens could be of some value next year? Bonderman seems to have been unacceptable in the short times he was used, but perhaps there may be something there with him also. And I have great hopes that a HEALTHY Bruce Rondon will be a shining light in 2014!

Here's what I would do for next year: play slightly better than .500 baseball in extra innings. If the Tigers had won 10 of the 19 extra inning games they played instead of the freakishly random 6 they would have finished with the best record in the AL (winning the tiebreaker with Boston), they would have won the division, at least for all intents and purposes, much earlier, they would rested Cabrera for a couple of weeks, and they would have had home field advantage (for whatever that is worth). That 2-9 record in their first 11 extra inning games really messed up the season (in retrospect). Yes, they were a lousy base running team. Yes, the bullpen was fitful. Yes, the defense hurt my eyes. But they still managed to win 93 games while going 6 and god-help-us 13 in extra inning games. Bring back the core, improve at the margins (something I'll admit DD is not great at), and they should be back in the playoffs--where they will have just as good a chance as anyone to win it all. And lest you think that teams with bad defense and baserunning can't win it all let him introduce you to the 2004 Red Sox, the worst base running team in 50 years by one measure and an equally inept defense.

....It would be nice if we could package him with Scherzer,

Bingo. It would probably be a good move for the Tigers to try to maximize the value they have from having 6 starting pitchers by moving one, and if the one you are willing to move is tempting enough to get another team to take Prince and maybe 1/2 of his salary as part of the deal - I'd jump on it. Probably the most likely scenario it they do want to move him...

Of course with our luck, as soon as we move that 6th pitcher a couple of starters will go down....:dead:

Here's what I would do for next year: play slightly better than .500 baseball in extra innings. If the Tigers had won 10 of the 19 extra inning games they played instead of the freakishly random 6 they would have finished with the best record in the AL (winning the tiebreaker with Boston), they would have won the division, at least for all intents and purposes, much earlier, they would rested Cabrera for a couple of weeks, and they would have had home field advantage (for whatever that is worth). That 2-9 record in their first 11 extra inning games really messed up the season (in retrospect). Yes, they were a lousy base running team. Yes, the bullpen was fitful. Yes, the defense hurt my eyes. But they still managed to win 93 games while going 6 and god-help-us 13 in extra inning games. Bring back the core, improve at the margins (something I'll admit DD is not great at), and they should be back in the playoffs--where they will have just as good a chance as anyone to win it all. And lest you think that teams with bad defense and baserunning can't win it all let him introduce you to the 2004 Red Sox, the worst base running team in 50 years by one measure and an equally inept defense.

It's pretty ironic that the worst base running team in 50 years saved their season with one of if not the most famous stolen base in history

Would a package of Fielder with Scherzer be any kind of temptation to a National League team knowing that Prince's defensive skills are not there and the only option for him in a few years would be as a DH?

Would a package of Fielder with Scherzer be any kind of temptation to a National League team knowing that Prince's defensive skills are not there and the only option for him in a few years would be as a DH?

I wonder what Texas/Baltimore would give up for them. Baltimore would love another power hitter, Texas loves offense and both desperately need an ace.

I think you'd need scherzer to entice them to take fielder. For nothing in return

Fielder should be traded now, if possible, because he will never be more valuable. I know that goes against some of the "common sense" thinking, but he's 29, putting him at essentially his prime baseball age. Anyone willing to take any part of his contract is going to want him at his best years, and each of those that tick away will lower his trade value. I don't think his down year this year is really going to change any opinions of his value one way or another.

If he can't be traded, he needs to DH more. For the last year of Victor's contract I don't mind if they alternate 1st/DH regularly, but after that he needs to be a primary DH. Our team defense has to improve, and for the money he's making he can deal with it. The other option is he gets into better shape and improves his 1st base defense greatly, but I don't see that happening.

Oblong said,

"I think you'd need scherzer to entice them to take fielder. For nothing in return."

Hmm, I'm thinking about the repercussions of such a move! Surely not!

BUT, if they take on Fielder's salary? Still thinking!

I think you'd need scherzer to entice them to take fielder. For nothing in return

Done and done, as far as I'm concerned. $30+M to spend this off-season, and an extra $150M the 6 after. Scherzer is really really good, but not that good.

Prince would be great in a ballpark with a smaller LF. He only has warning track power oppo in Comerica. I'm looking at you, Baltimore.

Fielder's a top ten hitter in baseball so he still has a lot of value, especially to a team who may really need an elite-level bat. Both Boston and Florida were able to unload an enormous amount of salary space from a number of bad contracts just last season. They may need to package a quality asset with him, like Doug Fister, and/or eat some of his salary, but if they really want to move him then I think they'd be able to creatively make that work.

It will be interesting to see what they do.

Trade Scherzer and Prince for nothing? You trade two of the top players in baseball for nothing just so you have more money to spend on.... more top players?