Jeff6851

2013-14 Offseason Thread

Similarly, I've fallen back on runs as my favorite performance indicator for starting pitchers.

I agree runs (not unearned runs) should be the starting point before you start looking at FIP, defensive support, etc.

I still prefer strikeouts and walks. There is so much luck involved that goes into runs scored.

I still prefer strikeouts and walks. There is so much luck involved that goes into runs scored.

There is luck, but it's also the final result. Walks and strikeouts only tell part of the story.

There is luck, but it's also the final result. Walks and strikeouts only tell part of the story.

Depends on the story you are trying to tell. Runs only tell part of the story, too, if the story is how well a guy pitched that day (or that season).

If the story is how good a pitcher (and his defense) was at actually preventing runs or the team's chance of winning when that pitcher was on the mound, I agree that runs allowed should be the primary focus and well ahead of earned runs or fip or war.

But "runs" are so dependent on so many factors that I don't think it's a great thing to just assign to a pitcher.

I prefer bb/k for predictive purposes, but in terms of past performance I think starting pitchers have a lot of control over runs allowed, at least over a season or more.

My thoughts, and I actually think this is a decent idea for a one-year stop-gap.

Sign Kendrys Morales. Play him at first. Put Miguel back at third, play Castellanos in LF. For this year only. When Dirks/whoever is ready to play in LF again, rotate Castellanos/Dirks/Davis if Castellanos is struggling at the plate. If he's not struggling, trade one of Dirks/Davis at the deadline for a bullpen piece.

I know that the season officially started in Australia... I think it was a national holiday down under

but listening to the second start of the season and it sounds like the LA team is sitting in the right field bleachers... guys are yelling and throwing things at the mic

My thoughts, and I actually think this is a decent idea for a one-year stop-gap.

Sign Kendrys Morales. Play him at first. Put Miguel back at third, play Castellanos in LF. For this year only. When Dirks/whoever is ready to play in LF again, rotate Castellanos/Dirks/Davis if Castellanos is struggling at the plate. If he's not struggling, trade one of Dirks/Davis at the deadline for a bullpen piece.

Now that's a fresh idea. Interesting, original, but I doubt if DD wants to risk injury and play Miggy at third. Casti may see some bunts laid down his way though. We'll see. Hopefully he's competent w/ the glove.

o... the voice on the Dodgers game is the umpire being mic-ed

Rick Monday: "I love that microphone"

Yes! the season has started

Valverde in line to close for the Mets with Parnell set to miss the season? How long can that last.

I have shot it in the head and tossed it under the bridge. It was good while it lasted. It even thanked me. Nothing personal, just business.