Jeff6851

2013-14 Offseason Thread

I can't wait until a reporter asks Dave about trading Fielder and he gives the Higginson response.

Boston shuffled off their clunky contracts to LA. It can happen.

If the Tigers opt to trade Scherzer, I wonder if they could link up with a contending team that needs pitching, like Texas, to put together a prospect package to get Stanton. Of course, Stanton is so good that any team that has the prospects to get him would probably prefer to have him instead of Scherzer, but it's just a thought.

If they opt to trade lower in the rotation like Fister or Porcello this thought is moot, obviously.

Take the number of relief pitchers you think the team needs to acquire and add one because there's probably a Tommy John surgery in Bruce Rondon's near future. Actually, add two for good measure.

Ugh ... then we would have a constipation-like stretch of Cabrera, Fielder, VMart, Delmon and Avila in the middle of the order. We'd have to have six singles in an inning to score a run.

Good observation... not many put this together. This is one reason why we have high .avgs, decent power (of course Miggy is very good power) - but it is hard for this team to score at times.

Many times role players can help a lot. Look at Bostons bench compared to ours. If NickC is in LF often next year than a player like RBernadina might be able to spell him at times (LHB), give AJ a break (in CF at times), help w/ speed of the bench. Yea we can say he hit .181 last but hit .291 the year before. He is just an 'example' - a player or two like that (with the right attitude of course) could help this particular team.

Of course bullpen help is a must.

LaLa land:

Who knows we could see deals involving NickC, Max, etc. maybe even Prince - maybe a team like Texas takes on most of his contract (we bite on some & MAYBE Max), trades us IKinsler & for ex MHarrison (both hefty contracts).

Maybe Texas will contemplate are we better with Fielder & Profar (at 2b) or McAnn & Kinsler (no inf spot for Profar). Teams will go through all the variables age, ballpark effect, salaries, etc. As they always do.

Then again the Tigs are very close and with a few tweaks and keeping Max here for one more year...

Should make for an interesting off-season.

Not to be lost in all of this, but I think we have reason to believe JV might be a much better pitcher next year. Not sure what was wrong with him, but he figured it out in September. He looked every bit like the old JV again, if not even better. And the world fears him in the post season.

That is a huge gain from where we were a month ago with him.

If I'm going after free agents, I'm making Jacoby Ellsbury my main target. Then try to move Jackson for bullpen help.

If you trade Jackson you gotta get more than bullpen help

Some very tough decisions to make with Scherzer being by far the biggest. I was not on board giving him a huge contract before the playoffs but he took his game to another level and now I don't know how we can let him go.

Another thing I'd like to see change is the hitting philosophy (it won't). They have this idea that you only hit mistakes so they won't swing at something that's not a mistake in their eyes. That's why you see Avila, Prince, Peralta and Omar take those fastballs down the middle every single time. It's so annoying.

Not to be lost in all of this, but I think we have reason to believe JV might be a much better pitcher next year. Not sure what was wrong with him, but he figured it out in September. He looked every bit like the old JV again, if not even better. And the world fears him in the post season.

That is a huge gain from where we were a month ago with him.

It would've been one hell of a game seven.

Another thing I'd like to see change is the hitting philosophy (it won't). They have this idea that you only hit mistakes so they won't swing at something that's not a mistake in their eyes. That's why you see Avila, Prince, Peralta and Omar take those fastballs down the middle every single time. It's so annoying.

Hitters become more aggressive when coming to Detroit. Fielder's walks have decline. Hunter's walks have declined. Martinez as well.

Hitters become more aggressive when coming to Detroit. Fielder's walks have decline. Hunter's walks have declined. Martinez as well.

I'm not saying they take more pitches but they seem to take more pitches that they could do something with.

What would I like to see the Tigers do in the off season? #1 on the list would be a leadoff hitter that has a low strikeout rate.

#2 a couple of players that can score from second base on a normal single to the outfield.

#3 a couple of bench players that can actually hit their way out of a wet paper sack.

#4 a Japanese relief pitcher not named Fu Te Ni.

#5 a Manager that doesn't go by the book for everything he does and one that can realize when hitters are hot and when hitters are not..(and keeping running them out there day after day because they "might" run into one today.)

That will change when Dombrowski fundamentally changes the team. I don't understand how he can assemble the kind of starting rotation that he has and then turn around and short change them with defensive holes and a bullpen that featured an unproven rookie as the closer last spring. How many times does Dombrowski need to see the Tigers bats go flat against the expected better pitching of playoff baseball before he sees the value of an order that starts with disciplined batters that can work a count and battle pitchers? Could he really sit in the stands each close game and watch his starters dominate and not worry about a defensive blunder or the bullpen?

If I'm Dombrowski I have 4 playoff roster untouchables...Max, JV, Victor and Cabrera. I could be convinced, because of his apparent value to the pitching staff, that Avila should be on that list. It's not that I want the entire roster replaced but I do want to see some fundamental changes to the type of player this team values.

That will change when Dombrowski fundamentally changes the team. I don't understand how he can assemble the kind of starting rotation that he has and then turn around and short change them with defensive holes and a bullpen that featured an unproven rookie as the closer last spring. How many times does Dombrowski need to see the Tigers bats go flat against the expected better pitching of playoff baseball before he sees the value of an order that starts with disciplined batters that can work a count and battle pitchers? Could he really sit in the stands each close game and watch his starters dominate and not worry about a defensive blunder or the bullpen?

If I'm Dombrowski I have 4 playoff roster untouchables...Max, JV, Victor and Cabrera. I could be convinced, because of his apparent value to the pitching staff, that Avila should be on that list. It's not that I want the entire roster replaced but I do want to see some fundamental changes to the type of player this team values.

Alex Avila needs to have competent backfill in the event he's concussed again.

Alex Avila needs to have competent backfill in the event he's concussed again.

He doesn't already? All I've heard from the village idiots since August is how Pena needs to be the starter because his bat is better.

He doesn't already? All I've heard from the village idiots since August is how Pena needs to be the starter because his bat is better.

Pena was great this year. Doesn't mean he's going to repeat it, as it was pretty out of character for him. He was good 4 years ago and had degraded each year, until he randomly spiked this year.

Let's not forget, Avila was atrocious most of this season. I think he needs to prove something next year, or the Tigers need to look for a new catcher.

Let's not forget, Avila was atrocious most of this season. I think he needs to prove something next year, or the Tigers need to look for a new catcher.

Avila is one of the best offensive catchers, it doesn't seem like it but most catchers aren't there for their offense. I like the way Avila handles the pitching staff, if he could take control of the running game a little bit he'd be a poor man's Yadier Molina

I don't want to trade Prince if we have to eat any of his salary. What's the point of eating, say, $6 million per year of his contract when you could just use that money to sign a couple of solid relievers? Plus, whoever you get in return is most likely not going to provide the same level of production (25-106 guys don't grow on trees). Yes, he had a crappy postseason, but I say you roll with him one more season instead of selling low.

I blame Dombrowski for not shoring up the bullpen during the season when it's been obvious that would be our downfall since spring training. Brian Wilson was available all summer as a free agent and we didn't bite. Look at him now, he pitched flawless down the stretch and in the postseason for the Dodgers. Six shutout innings in the playoffs...the Tigers probably would be preparing for the World Series right now as Big Papi and Victorino's blasts probably never happen. Plus, we would not have had to hear about the stupid Red Sox training beards since we would have had the king of all beards.

I don't want to trade Prince if we have to eat any of his salary. What's the point of eating, say, $6 million per year of his contract when you could just use that money to sign a couple of solid relievers? Plus, whoever you get in return is most likely not going to provide the same level of production (25-106 guys don't grow on trees). Yes, he had a crappy postseason, but I say you roll with him one more season instead of selling low.

I blame Dombrowski for not shoring up the bullpen during the season when it's been obvious that would be our downfall since spring training. Brian Wilson was available all summer as a free agent and we didn't bite. Look at him now, he pitched flawless down the stretch and in the postseason for the Dodgers. Six shutout innings in the playoffs...the Tigers probably would be preparing for the World Series right now as Big Papi and Victorino's blasts probably never happen. Plus, we would not have had to hear about the stupid Red Sox training beards since we would have had the king of all beards.

Brian Wilson didn't want to play in Detroit. He wanted to stay in California. There just wasn't good relievers available at the deadline.

Avila is one of the best offensive catchers, it doesn't seem like it but most catchers aren't there for their offense. I like the way Avila handles the pitching staff, if he could take control of the running game a little bit he'd be a poor man's Yadier Molina

We need to not live in the past. Avila was awful defensively this season and it hurt us in the post season as well. Tigers would be wise to find someone else, but I don't see it happening.

The Tigers do not need to do much to win another division title and get another shot at the post-season tournament. A few tweaks should do it. However, I find their one dimensional line-up to be unentertaining, so I'm hoping for significant changes which will bring them more speed and defense along with bullpen help which they'll need anyway. I'm not sure if a more balanced team would help them win in post-season, but it might. This won't be easy to do, since the guy I'm hoping they move will be very difficult to move.

I think they keep Scherzer and, instead, put Fister and/or Porcello on the trade market. I think they shop Jackson and Fielder (if anyone is willing to take on his contract or even most of it assuming we eat some of it). I doubt they go with Perez at 2B, so I think they make an attempt to re-sign Infante and they probably try to retain Benoit too.

I doubt they make many moves in FA. Maybe a bullpen arm or two. I could see them move at least one of the pieces I mentioned above, though, in a fairly large trade.

This in spades. We need an actual lead off hitter too. Jackson is awful at lead off, move him down to 7th or 8th and he will fare better.