Jeff6851

2013-14 Offseason Thread

I'll miss Benoit, a lot. He got nothing but big outs for us most of his tenure here. He earned that three-year deal we gave him, which at the time seemed over the top. I remember some huge outs he got vs. the Yankees in the 2011 playoffs, and a number of other clutch performances along the way. I fear that we're going to miss him more than some think, but I hope I'm wrong.

And his slow delivery, I think, was a big advantage for him. I think it threw a lot of batters off and made his fastball seem just a bit faster, and his offspeed stuff just a bit trickier. I'm not sure why more pitchers don't use this kind of strategy. Betancourt is notorious for it – and he's about twice as slow as Benoit – but there aren't many others who do.

Just some morning ramblings here. Not sure if this has been brought up. But does anyone else think that the Tiger's thirdbase coaching job will be much easier now that we will actually have some speed on the bases? Our slow runners have made both Brookens and Lamont look pretty bad at times. Of course, the guys that get on base the most are Cabrera and Martinez.....and they are still here. Thoughts?

Also, on the MLB channel, they had an over/under as to whether or not Fielder hits 44 homeruns with the Rangers. Mitch Williams said he will be easily over that number. My thoughts are that Prince is gonna have to get those groundballs to second base a little higher for that to happen.

Just some morning ramblings here. Not sure if this has been brought up. But does anyone else think that the Tiger's thirdbase coaching job will be much easier now that we will actually have some speed on the bases? Our slow runners have made both Brookens and Lamont look pretty bad at times. Of course, the guys that get on base the most are Cabrera and Martinez.....and they are still here. Thoughts?

Also, on the MLB channel, they had an over/under as to whether or not Fielder hits 44 homeruns with the Rangers. Mitch Williams said he will be easily over that number. My thoughts are that Prince is gonna have to get those groundballs to second base a little higher for that to happen.

44 seems kind of high. I'd take the under on that. Closer to 35 then 45.

I wish we had gotten a clause in the trade where the $30 million of Fielder's salary that we are eating is reduced $1 million for every HR he hits over 40 each season.

If a player allows his personal life to intrude on his work performance that much, he's probably not so clutch.

His persona suggests that he will try hard to hit a lot of home runs to stick it to the mean, awful Tigers who punished him by paying him kajillions of dollars and expected him to play at a high level and not make idiotic baserunning decisions that made our HOF coach retire.

I wish we had gotten a clause in the trade where the $30 million of Fielder's salary that we are eating is reduced $1 million for every HR he hits over 40 each season.

Would have been pointless, I'd be stunned if he went that far. I'd put the over/under on Prince's HR for next year at 31.

UTS is gone. MTS continues to cut payroll by trading UTS to MLive for fringe prospects.

I'm hoping the prospects aren't more hard-throwing stat geeks with control issues. You know how much the powers that be love those guys

I'll put Prince at 27 homers. Comerica was friendlier to lefties last year than Arlington. The idea that he's just going to launch 50 homers next year is so laughable.

Why did you get banned?

Was probably caught for being a former member.

I always thought he was a former member, but didn't know who it was.

Chance Ruffin was DFA'd today. That's both of the top 2 prospects we traded being DFA'd by Seattle now.

Actually three. Ruffin, Wells, and Martinez.

MTS caught up with me. I JUST blocked the Shrine guy like 3 days ago. I do not know why, but for some reason I associated him with Cecil.

I would give Ruffin a minor league contract. He did get his walk rate down in the minors last year, but his strikeout rate was much lower than his career average.

I'm not sure he'll be able to answer if he was banned.

He could with his next username.

Is being banned the same as DFA'd?

I don't think so. Being DFA'd means the team still has the option to retain you. In the case of a banning, I'd suggest it's more of an outright release. :happy: