Jeff6851

2013-14 Offseason Thread

So for all of those who claimed we should have given Peralta, Benoit, & Infante qualifying offers as they for sure would have declined them, do you still believe this? I originally thought we should have for Benoit and Infante, but not Peralta. Now Benoit signs for $1 mil and 1 more year more than the QO would have been. Infante signs for 3 more years and just over double what the QO would have been. And those are without draft picks being lost. If they had draft picks tied to them, they wouldn't even get that. Peralta signed for way over what I thought he would get (I thought he would be closer to what Infante got) and maybe he would have rejected the QO. But I think we would have for sure had Benoit and Infante back at $14 mil each.

I think they were proven extremely correct with Benoit, and pretty correct with Infante. I still think Peralta's contract was a pretty big surprise, and will be interested to see what a comparable player in Drew brings, with the draft pick cost. I think he probably ends up back in Boston.

I'm also interested in what the average-ish/vet relievers left sign for. Guys like Francisco, Farnsworth, KRod, Wright. If the Tigers feel the need for one more vet to go with the crowd, $2/$3M will probably get you a guy, if you wait it out.

Seems like the Tigers' bullpen philosophy is to get a bunch of high ceiling but inconsistent guys and just go with the hot hand. Rondon, AlAl, and Joba all have the capacity to be elite relievers if they're on. Chances are that at least one of them will be "on" at any given time.

But I think we still need at least one consistent, veteran-type guy that could step in.

I always liked Below. Lefty relievers with excellent control are not that easy to find. He could contribute next year just as easily as Krol.

Odd numbers of the day: Below has 43 major league appearances with only 3 starts, but as minor leaguer since 2007 he has made over 100 starts with only one relief appearance.

People love baseball so much in Cuba. I really hope that in 20 years or so, relations between our countries normalize. I'd like to see MLB expand to more countries. If Mexico could ever conquer its drug cartels, Mexico City could support a team. Tokyo could probably support one right now if travel times wouldn't make things logistically impossible. Bring back the Concord jet? This talk of Montreal getting another team is intriguing.

I'm very disappointed we couldn't give Benoit 2/15. He's apparently not even going to close in SD, Street still is. Money is, to me, pretty clearly very tight for the Tigers.

Benoit works too slow for my liking. For me, things like that matter. Too slow and too susceptible to homers. I am glad he is gone.

People love baseball so much in Cuba. I really hope that in 20 years or so, relations between our countries normalize. I'd like to see MLB expand to more countries. If Mexico could ever conquer its drug cartels, Mexico City could support a team. Tokyo could probably support one right now if travel times wouldn't make things logistically impossible. Bring back the Concord jet? This talk of Montreal getting another team is intriguing.

Meyer Lansky agrees

Benoit works too slow for my liking. For me, things like that matter. Too slow and too susceptible to homers. I am glad he is gone.

Too slow doesn't matter one bit, and he is not susceptible to an abnormal amount of HR's. That is a ridiculous myth that keeps being recycled on here over and over. He gave up a lot in 2012 but that was a flukey year. All of the rest of his peripherals were near career highs that year.

To be glad he's gone is absurd.

Too slow doesn't matter one bit, and he is not susceptible to an abnormal amount of HR's. That is a ridiculous myth that keeps being recycled on here over and over. He gave up a lot in 2012 but that was a flukey year. All of the rest of his peripherals were near career highs that year.

Yeah, I really wish we could have brought him back.

For his career he's a bit more susceptible to the long ball than I'd like out of a semi-premium reliever but 2012 was indeed a wicked outlier. We'd be better with him on our team without him; to be glad he's gone for what looks to be a very reasonable contract is nonsense.

And I don't mind him being too slow. When he's in the game it means it's usually a close one; I'm not in a hurry in those kind of games. And I have ADD. LOL

I think Cameron is a little to zealous about WAR

Probably true, but I think arguably every poster here is a bit under zealous about WAR.

Yeah, I'm familiar with their argument. I remember reading that article. That was a long time ago when pretty much every reliever signing looked like a huge overpay based on WAR/ $. Their analysis has evolved a bit more since then.

True, but I think most people fail to realize that situation is taken into account with reliever WAR. There are probably some issues with it, but I think it does as good a job with relievers as anyone else. Guys pitching 60 innings a year can only impact the game so much and people often make the mistake of assuming that runs in one inning have a lot more value than runs let up in another.

Probably true, but I think arguably every poster here is a bit under zealous about WAR.

Does that include you? Do you think we should be using it more?

I'm very disappointed we couldn't give Benoit 2/15. He's apparently not even going to close in SD, Street still is. Money is, to me, pretty clearly very tight for the Tigers.

Because they didn't give a set up man 7.5 million dollars. Geez. People were mad when we gave him 5.5 to set up last time. Now we're tight on money? Even with an increased payroll? Good God man

For his career he's a bit more susceptible to the long ball than I'd like out of a semi-premium reliever but 2012 was indeed a wicked outlier. We'd be better with him on our team without him; to be glad he's gone for what looks to be a very reasonable contract is nonsense.

And I don't mind him being too slow. When he's in the game it means it's usually a close one; I'm not in a hurry in those kind of games. And I have ADD. LOL

I don't know how you define "semi-premium reliever", but for his career as a reliever his HR/9 is 0.89 which is not bad at all.

True, but I think most people fail to realize that situation is taken into account with reliever WAR. There are probably some issues with it, but I think it does as good a job with relievers as anyone else. Guys pitching 60 innings a year can only impact the game so much and people often make the mistake of assuming that runs in one inning have a lot more value than runs let up in another.

I think relievers have a bigger impact than other players on whether teams do well in close games and extra inning games. That can throw the whole thing off because WAR is not designed to take into account a player's influence on those types of games and how a team does in those games affects how well wins matchup with expected wins. I don't believe anyone has yet designed a reliable way to evaluate a reliever's value.

Or it's a new trend. Too slow doesn't matter to you. Like I said, it matters to me. So I am happy.

Does that include you? Do you think we should be using it more?

I think we should use way less of it. It should only be an ancillary stat in my opinion. I am sure this doesn't surprise you though.

Or it's a new trend. Too slow doesn't matter to you. Like I said, it matters to me. So I am happy.

Well, if 2012 was a new trend, then 2013 (which compared to his career norms) was a new outlier.

Well, if 2012 was a new trend, then 2013 (which compared to his career norms) was a new outlier.

See game 2, championship series. That's the last of Benoit I ever wanted to see.

But my main point was he is too slow. That's still true.

Since when does one season make a trend?

I think we should use way less of it. It should only be an ancillary stat in my opinion. I am sure this doesn't surprise you though.

I think it's good for some things and bad for other things. I don't like it when it's used incorrectly. I also don't like it when it's used correctly, but is dismissed as a bad stat.

See game 2, championship series. That's the last of Benoit I ever wanted to see.

But my main point was he is too slow. That's still true.

Joe Nathan gave up a HR to Arod in Game 2 of the 2009 ALDS. I never want to see him again!

Joe Nathan gave up a HR to Arod in Game 2 of the 2009 ALDS. I never want to see him again!

Justin Verlander gave up a HR to Napoli in Game 3.