Jeff6851

2013-14 Offseason Thread

I expected this to be posted already.

Another season has come and gone, the Tigers gave us another season full of ups and downs and incredible personal years but once again fell short of the ultimate prize. Once again, it feels like all we need is a little adjustment and we'll be the unstoppable machine we're meant to be next year.

Who do you want to see added? Who do you want to see gone?

First thing first we need to get Infante back. Then we need to get bullpen help... a lot of bullpen help especially with Rondon's health possibly being an issue.

I would like to see Brandon Phillips and Choo added. Peralta and Infante likely not being brought back. Porcello traded and Smyly moved to the rotation. I would like to see Benoit back. Sign a bunch of scrap heap bullpen guys and see what sticks. This is a good team. There doesn't need to be major overhauls.

I would like to see Brandon Phillips and Choo added. Peralta and Infante likely not being brought back. Porcello traded and Smyly moved to the rotation. I would like to see Benoit back. Sign a bunch of scrap heap bullpen guys and see what sticks. This is a good team. There doesn't need to be major overhauls.

Choo is a longshot, he's gonna get paid and I don't see us doing that unless we get rid of Castellanos or Torii. I don't know if we have the pieces to go for Phillips.

Choo is a longshot, he's gonna get paid and I don't see us doing that unless we get rid of Castellanos or Torii. I don't know if we have the pieces to go for Phillips.

Why would Castellanos or Torii need to be moved? Torii is 38 with one more year left. Castellanos hasn't proven anything. I really don't even know what free agents are available. I'm assuming Illitch is willing to make one last splash.

One of the non $15 million dollar starters traded for some young help. Extend the window, just like with the Granderson trade. Iglesias is a nice start.

My adjustments are in the pen and on the bench.

If you can get the right pieces for Porcello, you could trade him, again, for the right pieces. You'd want to get some relievers but you already lose one when you move Smyly to the rotation. If they trade any starter this offseason, I think it's Max. I think they should just stick with this rotation unless they are blown away.

I don't really like Pena as a backup catcher, the pitching staff doesn't seem to like him and his offense really isn't that great. Soto is a FA, I'd like to see him and give him 60 starts or so but I'm sure he could get a starting job somewhere.

One of Dirks or Kelly HAVE to go. They are basically the same player. Left handed, low power, defensive replacements. I think Dirks could get a better price but you aren't really getting anything. Get a decent reliever out of him and move on.

We need a power bat off the bench. As much flak as I'm gonna get for it, I wouldn't mind seeing Delmon come in strictly as an off the bench power bat with maybe a couple starts if it's an emergency.

Make Hernan Perez the backup infielder and the bench is good.

DD also said he wants to add some speed this offseason but I don't really see where there's room for anyone in the starting lineup.

Why would Castellanos or Torii need to be moved? Torii is 38 with one more year left. Castellanos hasn't proven anything. I really don't even know what free agents are available. I'm assuming Illitch is willing to make one last splash.

It could happen but you can't just keep throwing money at it until you win. This team had the talent to win it but couldn't get it done. Castellanos is MLB ready unless they really want Choo that badly and move Nick back to third and wait until 2015 when V Mart is gone.

I'd also just rather stick with Infante than trade for Phillips, it would kill our farm system and I don't really care for his attitude.

bring back Delmon? god help us. :shocked:

Another fat lardbucket with less than zero defensive value and the foot speed of a fire hydrant. We already have way too many of those guys on the roster, we can't add any more.

Edited by TJ

bring back Delmon? god help us. :shocked:

He was the first guy that came to mind when I was thinking of an offense first, non starter haha. I don't think it would be too bad if he weren't our regular DH

He was the first guy that came to mind when I was thinking of an offense first, non starter haha. I don't think it would be too bad if he weren't our regular DH

Ugh ... then we would have a constipation-like stretch of Cabrera, Fielder, VMart, Delmon and Avila in the middle of the order. We'd have to have six singles in an inning to score a run.

Ugh ... then we would have a constipation-like stretch of Cabrera, Fielder, VMart, Delmon and Avila in the middle of the order. We'd have to have six singles in an inning to score a run.

I don't want him as a regular player, I said strictly bench and he comes off when we NEED a blast when someone who isn't one of those four is up. Say, Iglesias is up, one out with runners at the corners and you're down by 1. Delmon is more likely to drive in a run because he can get a sac fly to tie it or a big hit to take the lead. I mean, it doesn't have to be him but they need a big bat on the bench.

I want two-way players that have a combination of at least two of these things: power, speed, and walks. No more players like Hunter who is terrible defensively and relies on BABIP for his entire offensive game, and no more players like Infante either. Dump Prince if at all possible, even if it requires eating 75% of his contract, just get him the **** out.

I'd like to see Balfour replace Benoit as closer, and also sign a couple other relievers, do not trade Max, period. Don't care to see any of the pitchers traded but if it has to be one, then Porcello.

I don't know, I hate the way this lineup is constructed. A bunch of guys that can't play defense, don't walk, have no speed, and have no power.

I want two-way players that have a combination of at least two of these things: power, speed, and walks. No more players like Hunter who is terrible defensively and relies on BABIP for his entire offensive game, and no more players like Infante either. Dump Prince if at all possible, even if it requires eating 75% of his contract, just get him the **** out.

I'd like to see Balfour replace Benoit as closer, and also sign a couple other relievers, do not trade Max, period. Don't care to see any of the pitchers traded but if it has to be one, then Porcello.

I don't know, I hate the way this lineup is constructed. A bunch of guys that can't play defense, don't walk, have no speed, and have no power.

Why do you want a worse pitcher as closer?

I think they keep Scherzer and, instead, put Fister and/or Porcello on the trade market. I think they shop Jackson and Fielder (if anyone is willing to take on his contract or even most of it assuming we eat some of it). I doubt they go with Perez at 2B, so I think they make an attempt to re-sign Infante and they probably try to retain Benoit too.

I doubt they make many moves in FA. Maybe a bullpen arm or two. I could see them move at least one of the pieces I mentioned above, though, in a fairly large trade.

I still have no idea why so many people want to trade Fielder. He isn't exactly old and had a down season. It's still reasonable he can have a bounce back season. Trading now is just selling low, and you still have to replace his production in the lineup. An 800 OPS and 25 home runs isn't exactly easy to replace, even though we expect more from Fielder.

I wouldn't even mind selling high on Sanchez. I see no scenario in which he posts anywhere near the same numbers next year.

I dunno how much you could get for him since he has a big contract. I'd do it if they immediately signed Max after.

I'm more in the tweek mode than sping cleaning.

Add a proven bullpen arm or two (decline Veras, sign Joe Smith and or Jessie Crain).

Either sign Infante or use Fister(or)Porcello as trade bait for another 2B (young/cheap/decent) and move Smyly to the starting rotation (lol, AFTER you get Smith/Crain).

Castellanos is your new LF for 2014 unless he plays himself out of it in spring training or slumps badly to start the 2014 season.

Sort of a U-pick'em for utility infielder, Perez will be at AAA if the Tigers need a 15 day or more solution, but I'm not sure if Santiago, Kelly (if Kelly will be used in the infield again), or Worth (or even another free agent utility infielder) is the Tigers will go.

Back up catcher- here we go again. Dombrowski will pick another free agent back up catcher's name out of a hat and that catcher will hit .300 for 2014 also.

I also don't see the Tigers "in" on Cano, Ellsbury or Choo. I think the Tigers will be trying to avoid adding another large payroll / long term player until the Tigers can figure out what to do with arbitration guys like Jackson, Avila and Scherzer for the longer term.

I could see the Tigers making a small run at Cano just to see what it costs and what kind of interest he has, especially if Infante turns down a qualifying offer. I don't think it will happen, but I could see them testing the waters.

I would like to overhaul the bullpen. See if Dotel will be ready for next season and keep him. I would even keep Veras. Why? I don't know. He has good stuff, this was a big improvement year, and I think it is more of just that, an improvement year, than it is an outlier.

One guy I would love to see in the 2014 Tigers bullpen, and I highly doubt it will happen, is Knebel. He spent all season with the Whitecaps, which is why he won't be up with the Tigers, but he has the best stuff I've ever seen out of anyone I've watched with the Whitecaps over the last 10 years. I think he is big league ready right now and would be an extremely good 7th/8th inning guy today.

Please end the Phil Coke experiment. Find someone who is a lefty and can get other lefties out with moderate success. The Tigers could have had Scot Downs for close to nothing and instead the Braves used him to run away in the NL East. Find a mid-late 30's lefty who can get the job done. The Tigers make that harder than it has to be. A Jamie Walker is not going to cost you an arm and a leg.

If I'm going after free agents, I'm making Jacoby Ellsbury my main target. Then try to move Jackson for bullpen help.

What would I like to see the Tigers do in the off season? #1 on the list would be a leadoff hitter that has a low strikeout rate.

#2 a couple of players that can score from second base on a normal single to the outfield.

#3 a couple of bench players that can actually hit their way out of a wet paper sack.

#4 a Japanese relief pitcher not named Fu Te Ni.

#5 a Manager that doesn't go by the book for everything he does and one that can realize when hitters are hot and when hitters are not..(and keeping running them out there day after day because they "might" run into one today.)