Sign in to follow this  
FRM710

Michigan Basketball 2013/2014 season

I wouldn't call him a numbskull. He obviously made a big mistake when you consider the level of punishment for such a minor infraction.

It seems a bit draconian to suspend a player for a year for smoking pot.

I feel bad for him, because I think he wanted to stay in school for another year.

It's amazing to me that the reaction to this story is every writer's surprise at the level of punishment. I don't remember ever hearing of the penalty being applied. That doesn't mean it hasn't happened. It has probably happened a lot to players that ended up leaving earlier than you would expect or transferring.

Manny Harris? Darius Morris? Evan Smotrycz?

Seems like a huge risk to take if you know there is a 1 in 15 chance that would be selected.

I wonder if the players aren't specifically reminded of the NCAA policy enough.

It's a shame.

I wouldn't call him a numbskull. He obviously made a big mistake when you consider the level of punishment for such a minor infraction.

It seems a bit draconian to suspend a player for a year for smoking pot.

I feel bad for him, because I think he wanted to stay in school for another year.

It's amazing to me that the reaction to this story is every writer's surprise at the level of punishment. I don't remember ever hearing of the penalty being applied. That doesn't mean it hasn't happened. It has probably happened a lot to players that ended up leaving earlier than you would expect or transferring.

Manny Harris? Darius Morris? Evan Smotrycz?

Seems like a huge risk to take if you know there is a 1 in 15 chance that would be selected.

I wonder if the players aren't specifically reminded of the NCAA policy enough.

It's a shame.

Isn't pot legal now in many states? And a Michigan player gets a year for it? This is ********. I would guess that 50% of NBA players are regular users. I would guess the same in college.

It's a $25 fine in Ann Arbor.

Player's who drive drunk and could potentially kill someone get suspended for 1 game.

A player smokes pot at a party and gets suspended for a year.

The NCAA is a joke.

Any idea why Horford transferred? Seems to me he would be in line for some pretty big minutes next season.

I know there were some real negative Nancies on here about him, but I think U of M loses a valuable cog with his departure. Not like the jumpers to the NBA, but a dirty work guy that makes life easier for all the others.

Any idea why Horford transferred? Seems to me he would be in line for some pretty big minutes next season.

I know there were some real negative Nancies on here about him, but I think U of M loses a valuable cog with his departure. Not like the jumpers to the NBA, but a dirty work guy that makes life easier for all the others.

any idea how long the team has known about McGary's issues compared to Horford's decision? Could Horford have been a done deal before he knew?

any idea how long the team has known about McGary's issues compared to Horford's decision? Could Horford have been a done deal before he knew?

He was tested after the Tennessee game and reports are that he was advised of the results a week later. Horford announced about a week after that. The more I've read about Horford though the more I think it might have been a mutual decision or at least one the staff wasn't inclined to challenge.

Re: The McGary thing, am I off base here, or if he never would've dressed for the Tennessee game none of this would've happened? Not that I'm blaming Beilein for that because obviously he had no idea, but if that is the case than that decision to dress him is going to come back to haunt Michigan and possibly McGary too.

Rumors regarding Horford transferring have to do with Family and Donnal.

Family doesn't believe Beilein's system fits to JH strengths

Apparently Donnal has been outplaying him in practice, and not just a couple of times. Point being no guarrantee he was going to start.

Again...Rumors

Re: The McGary thing, am I off base here, or if he never would've dressed for the Tennessee game none of this would've happened? Not that I'm blaming Beilein for that because obviously he had no idea, but if that is the case than that decision to dress him is going to come back to haunt Michigan and possibly McGary too.

That night when he came out dressed it was reported that he and the team had asked Beilein if he could. I was surprised to read this account. Anyway, from what I understand he would have been tested either way as selection is based on being on the roster and not limited to being dressed. Is that wrong?

Didn't matter if he dressed out not. They could have tested him if he were in Ann Arbor watching on the couch.

They have known about both for awhile. We knew Horford was transferring a couple weeks ago.

Why can't Horford and Donnal both start? Am I missing someone?

Either way, I don't begrudge Horford his decision. He was average anyways.

Why can't Horford and Donnal both start? Am I missing someone?

Either way, I don't begrudge Horford his decision. He was average anyways.

Let's be fair, he was below average. Him and Morgan always competed for worst hands ever.

I don't think beilein was all that interested in using Horford as a starter. Horford was a nice guy to have off the bench to absorb some fouls, but he wasn't all that good. I think he is easily replaced.

If Horford started he would never be able to play starter's minutes because he'd be on the bench early with foul trouble every game.

I don't think Morgan is a guy that beilein would have used, either, but at least he was good defensively.

I don't think Morgan is a guy that beilein would have used, either, but at least he was good defensively.

Yeah - JM was an odd player, I think he did get stonger in the post this year in terms of rebounding and going up strong offensively when I got the ball, but his inability to catch the ball didn't seem to improve much, which really put a ceiling on what he could give you.

Edited by Gehringer_2

Aubrey Dawkins commits to UM

Aubrey Dawkins commits to Michigan

By Dylan Burkhardt | Recruits | Posted on April 28, 2014 at 3:20 pm

1-1-11AubreyDawkins[1]Michigan added another member to its 2014 recruiting class today as Aubrey Dawkins committed to the Wolverines. The news was first reported by FlyerHoops.

Dawkins is the sixth member of Michigan’s incoming class, joining Kameron Chatman, DJ Wilson, Ricky Doyle, Austin Hatch and Muhammad Ali Abdur-Rahkman.

Dawkins is the son of Stanford head coach, and former NBA player, Johnny Dawkins.

More at UMhoops.com

Great interview with incoming freshman R Doyle at the same site.

And they have room for one more. Really goes to show how hard they have been hit by early entry. This coming just two years after the levert and spike five member class.

I believe that the last spot is going to go to a transfer, so it will end up being a six person freshman class.

This of course includes hatch, who will probably never suit up.

Huff(transfer ref by Shelton) would be an interesting pick up to say the least. 6'8 shoots 40% from 3pt range. Lets see if he visits and can qualify as UM doesn't have a strong track record in taking transfers from what I recall.

UM basketball camp on June 7 will be absolutely loaded with talent, most talking about "player developement" that happens at UM. It has been a while since this many 5 stars camped at UM. Related to this; camp is one week prior to Beilein extending offers.

Now, can Beilein close?

I figured GR III would leave, but was disappointed by Stauskas going. & after McGary left I thought to myself "It was a decent run while it lasted." Very pleasantly surprised that Beilein seems to have been able to pull off a good incoming class - let's hope it works out!

I figured GR III would leave, but was disappointed by Stauskas going. & after McGary left I thought to myself "It was a decent run while it lasted." Very pleasantly surprised that Beilein seems to have been able to pull off a good incoming class - let's hope it works out!

Curious as to why you were disappointed by Stauskas going pro? He is, by far, the highest rated of the three guys from UM. (Granted McGary would be higher if healthy all year).