belcherboy

Trout over Cabrera for MVP; Hernandez over Scherzer for Cy Young; Myers over Iglesia?

I'd love to see that deal made. I like Cabrera a lot, but Trout is younger and better and I'm pretty sure I'd learn to like him pretty fast. I've always admired players that excelled in all phases of the game. McCutchen is another favorite of mine.

I'm sure I'd love Trout, he's the exact model of player that I love to watch play, great in all phases. I'd have absolutely no regrets about getting him....I'd just hate to see Cabrera traded, for personal reasons.

I imagine it would be much like the Granderson trade though. After watching Trout for a couple months, we'd be talking about wanting him to go to the HOF in a Tigers hat and all of that.

It wouldn't be like the Grandy trade for me....I liked Grandy the player but was not really attached to him (despite the folks who assumed for whatever reason that I was); I am attached to Cabrera because I believe/hope in his personal transformation as a Tiger, and I admit that freely. I hope he never leaves the D.

I'm sure I'd love Trout, he's the exact model of player that I love to watch play, great in all phases. I'd have absolutely no regrets about getting him....I'd just hate to see Cabrera traded, for personal reasons.

I will say that there are very close to zero Cabrera trade scenarios which I would personally like.

I think you missed my point, but I get what you mean.

I think that a lot of Cy Young voters might try to prove that "I get it" by actually penalizing Scherzer for his 21-3 record, and ignoring his other measurements. Then they can write insightful columns announcing that "pitching wins" are not significant.

I'd love to see that deal made. I like Cabrera a lot, but Trout is younger and better and I'm pretty sure I'd learn to like him pretty fast. I've always admired players that excelled in all phases of the game. McCutchen is another favorite of mine.

Yeah, but no outfielder can bring the kind of TWTC* to the game that Cabrera can from the infield.

*The Will To Chat

I think that a lot of Cy Young voters might try to prove that "I get it" by actually penalizing Scherzer for his 21-3 record, and ignoring his other measurements. Then they can write insightful columns announcing that "pitching wins" are not significant.

Some of the guys at fangraphs tried to make the case for Sabathia over Verlander in 2011 because of this. At least that was my read. But Verlander was so overwhelmingly better than everyone else that year and had the 24-5 record to go along with leading the league in absolutely everything that it wasn't taken seriously. Max hasn't been far and away better than Sale, or Felix, or Darvish. But it's been close and in cases like that I'll look at W-L a little, just as if an MVP vote is real close I'll look at how their teams did a little, or stuff like the Triple Crown. Not much, and not until everything else is so close that it doesn't matter, but a little.

I hope old fuddy duddies that like wins, homers, batting average, and slick-fielding short stops give our Tigers all three spots. I would be willing to lay down a one-out sac bunt to get Prince home from second on a single if all three Tigers got the awards. Then I'd smoke a Marlboro and eat a sandwich while you interviewed me and tell you I was answering no further questions if you brought it up. I want to win and I don't care how it happens.

Cabrera was already a great hitter before he came to the Tigers. Most "casual fans" didn't know that until the last few years in Detroit.

So I hope when/if he goes to the hall, he goes in as a Tiger.

The reason I put the "if" part there was just in case we find out he wasn't natural, if you know what I mean.

/ please be clean

Cabrera was already a great hitter before he came to the Tigers. Most "casual fans" didn't know that until the last few years in Detroit.

So I hope when/if he goes to the hall, he goes in as a Tiger.

The reason I put the "if" part there was just in case we find out he wasn't natural, if you know what I mean.

/ please be clean

The hall makes a determination on the cap, and it is based largely on games played and career accomplishments, so it is very likely he goes in as a Tiger.

The hall makes a determination on the cap, and it is based largely on games played and career accomplishments, so it is very likely he goes in as a Tiger.

Yeah, I think barring a trade to another team and a sudden huge performance in multiple years then he's a Tiger in the Hall. Granted (so far) he's only won a WS with the Marlins, but his MVP year, his three-battle titles in a row years and his Triple Crown year was all with the Tigers. He's also had more playoff appearances as a Tiger. His years of being considered the best hitter in baseball were with the Tigers.

He's going in as a tiger. I think if you asked any non detroit or Miami baseball fan which team they associate Cabrera with, it would be detroit, and he still has a few more years here under contract, and I expect him to be extended at least through the remainder of his prime years.

Yeah, I think barring a trade to another team and a sudden huge performance in multiple years then he's a Tiger in the Hall. Granted (so far) he's only won a WS with the Marlins, but his MVP year, his three-battle titles in a row years and his Triple Crown year was all with the Tigers. He's also had more playoff appearances as a Tiger. His years of being considered the best hitter in baseball were with the Tigers.

It is amazing, really, how little the guy is being paid considering guys like Cano are about to get 30 a year to START their contracts.

He is going to get 22 in his LAST year of that contract extension. I really wish they would have made that last contract 10 years instead of 8...I know the agent would have NEVER agreed to that because Cabby will be looking at his last big contract after this one. I just hope to hell no one goes crazy and offers him something we cannot match. I am willing to over pay for a guy and give him an extra year or 2, but if at the end of this one he is looking for 10 years...it is going to be a sad day when I have to say sorry Cabby....I wish you continued success, but we are not giving a 32 year old a 10 year contract that most likely will escalate in money as the contracts grows...which most likely would START at 26-28 a year.

I don't know that a 33-year old Cabrera would get 30 a year, even in Detroit. All depends what the going rate is in the 15-16 offseason, but in today's dollars, he'd probably get something between a 4/100 and 7/175.

We have Cabrera for 2 years after this one. Unless we do an extension next year and spread some of that contract on the existing years, and unless we manage to avoid paying him 28+ million a year into his age 38 season...I say we should Pujols the guy. I love Miggy, but all these little injuries on a guy that doesn't exactly have the best build for an infielder on a roster with Prince Fielder...well, we could be seeing a team that's in worse shape in a few years than this year's Yankees.

I don't expect a hometown discount, but it'd be great for us to somehow extend him for a more "modest" $25m a year with incentives that could give him >$30m a year on average.

I don't know that a 33-year old Cabrera would get 30 a year, even in Detroit. All depends what the going rate is in the 15-16 offseason, but in today's dollars, he'd probably get something between a 4/100 and 7/175.

I imagine Mike and Dave go to him this offseason with a blank check. Mike will want him to retire a tiger that way his kids can give him a big statue/retire his number/see him go to the Hall as a Tiger.

We have Cabrera for 2 years after this one. Unless we do an extension next year and spread some of that contract on the existing years, and unless we manage to avoid paying him 28+ million a year into his age 38 season...I say we should Pujols the guy. I love Miggy, but all these little injuries on a guy that doesn't exactly have the best build for an infielder on a roster with Prince Fielder...well, we could be seeing a team that's in worse shape in a few years than this year's Yankees.

I don't expect a hometown discount, but it'd be great for us to somehow extend him for a more "modest" $25m a year with incentives that could give him >$30m a year on average.

We should have extended him last offseason IMO. I bet you could have tacked on 4/100-120 and been done.

In my opinion, Cabrera's injuries only cement the fact that he's deserving of the MVP award.

If the MVP is supposed to be a awarded to the player who proves most valuable to his team, then look at how this team has played since Cabrera's been hurt. Obvious to me that Cabrera is everything to this offense.

In my opinion, Cabrera's injuries only cement the fact that he's deserving of the MVP award.

If the MVP is supposed to be a awarded to the player who proves most valuable to his team, then look at how this team has played since Cabrera's been hurt. Obvious to me that Cabrera is everything to this offense.

THat also means that he hasn't been providing much value for the last month, which is part of the season(other than the last 4 games obviously).