T&P_Fan

2013-2014 NHL Discussion Thread

What the heck started that?? Roy is such a child.

MacKinnon (1st pick, 18 years old) was tripped on an apparent knee to knee hit, Roy started shouting at Bruce and you see where it went from there.

Leafs win in Nashville last night, they are now 4-1, first in the east and playing some good defensive hockey. Bernier has turned out to be fantastic early on. Got his first shutout last night and played fantastically. His rebound control is impeccable, a 180 from Reimer. They tried to say this was a battle for the number 1, looks like Bernier has taken a hold of that.

Leafs win in Nashville last night, they are now 4-1, first in the east and playing some good defensive hockey. Bernier has turned out to be fantastic early on. Got his first shutout last night and played fantastically. His rebound control is impeccable, a 180 from Reimer. They tried to say this was a battle for the number 1, looks like Bernier has taken a hold of that.

Death, taxes, and the Leafs starting strong!

I just grabbed Bernier in my fantasy league though, I was waiting for some clarity there.

Leafs still looking strong, won 5 out of the last 7 and are tied for 1st place in the east. Kessel had a beautiful goal last night, I DVR'd it and watched it about 10 times last night and then another 15 this morning. Kessel is really becoming a dominant player. Bernier and Reimer have been excellent.

Leafs played at home last night, first Friday night home game since 05. They play the Bruins tonight in Boston. Two saturdays in a row on the road, that doesn't happen often. Seems like these divisions are tightly packed.

Steve Stamkos breaks leg, sends shockwaves throughout Canada 3 months before Socchi.

Tampa has gotten beat pretty good in their first two games out west. Stamkos being out is going to make it difficult for Tampa to stay atop the division.

Leafs won their 2nd straight game last night, they are battling it out with the Bruins, Lightning and Wings for the top 3 spots. This has been a fun hockey season so far. I have the center ice package and I catch myself watching all sorts of games. Exciting when the Leafs are half way decent. And they have been doing it with injuries and suspensions.

Going to my first game of the year Friday night. Columbus vs Vancouver. Thought of going to see Chicago the next night instead, but Columbus tickets are cheaper, my daughter is mostly interested in Luongo and the Canucks regardless the opponent, and she said she wanted to go to a game "when the Canucks will probably win".

Going to my first game of the year Friday night. Columbus vs Vancouver. Thought of going to see Chicago the next night instead, but Columbus tickets are cheaper, my daughter is mostly interested in Luongo and the Canucks regardless the opponent, and she said she wanted to go to a game "when the Canucks will probably win".

Should've taken her to the Florida ga...oh wait.

Stunning Canadian TV deal. Rogers (Sportsnet) gets it all. TSN out - unbelievable. CBC only a rump - can show HNIC on Saturday nights but will be produced and operated by Rogers, Rogers will hire the on-air staff, and all ad revenue will go to Rogers. Sounds like Canadians will get more games and the NHL will get more money, but TSN is BY FAR the best hockey network. Sportsnet will need to poach everyone from TSN if it wants to put out a half-decent broadcast.

Y! SPORTS

Puck Daddy has a good article up on if Regulation wins counted as 3 points, which I think should happen to give it more meaning and stop the 3rd Period meh games some.

It also has the current standings if this were in place currently.

Y! SPORTS

Puck Daddy has a good article up on if Regulation wins counted as 3 points, which I think should happen to give it more meaning and stop the 3rd Period meh games some.

It also has the current standings if this were in place currently.

I think the loser points are dumb, as is the way shootout results can skew points totals. It warps the current year standings plus it eliminates historical comparisons (remember when 100 pt seasons used to mean something? and when "over .500" was clearly defined?)

My preference would be to play 5 minutes of OT but no shootouts. You win the game in regulation or OT you get 2 points. You lose the game in regulation or OT you get 0 points. You tie after 65 minutes you each get a point. This is how the NFL does it. It's the simplest. And I'd say the fairest. I don't think a team that has won 2 games and lost 2 games in a 4-game stretch deserves more or fewer points that a team that has tied all 4 games in a stretch.

Agreed totally LS. The only difference to your proposal for me would be 3 more OT minutes at 3 on 3 if they are tied after 5 minutes of 4 on 4.

Randy Carlye is such a bad coach. What would compel an NHL coach to dress both Colton Orr and Frazier McClaren, not to mention Mark Fraser. These guys are all goons, provide no benefit.

Leafs got down 2-0 tonight to the sharks, they come back and tie it up. In the 2nd period, after a tv timeout, Carlye put the 4th line out in the defensive zone because SJ had theirs out. Well guess what? SJ changed immediately, hemmed the 4th line and then the Sharks scored. Night after night he plays these goons. They just can't play in the NHL. Horrible job by Carlye. Nonis must not be paying attention to allow this to happen.

The Leafs get outplayed every single game.

Tyler Seguin scored a natural hat trick, with 3 straight 2nd period goals. The final two were 40 seconds apart. And with his teammate scoring shortly afterwards, the Stars scored 3 goals in 1:02. Seguin has scored 15 goals this year, so Dallas has been a nice change of scenery for him.

MCS will love this. And I don't think this column is off-base at all. It's not a "few" or "handful" of fans in Vancouver - it's a significant minority and includes plenty of middle-class white kids.

Vancouver Canucks’ fans will never forgive Boston Bruins for 2011 Stanley Cup final defeat | National Post

Some wars never end, but you wouldn’t necessarily have picked the 2011 Stanley Cup final to become one. It was like throwing Molotov cocktails at dry grass right from the jump, and the bonfire of hatred and heedless stupidity eventually consumed several cars and some shop fronts in downtown Vancouver. Seven long games and then a riot, filling the air with smoke and bitterness.

But what is truly incredible is that the 2011 Stanley Cup final is still going on, in proxy wars. On Saturday night, after the Canucks drilled the Boston Bruins 6-2 in an affair that featured Boston’s Brad Marchand kissing an invisible Stanley Cup ring, and hoisting an imaginary Cup, a few Bruins went out on the town. And according to Bruins forward Milan Lucic, he was attacked. Punched inside a bar, punched outside a bar, and he decided not to cave the guy’s face in. You can’t go home again.

“That’s one of the worst parts. It’s in my hometown,” Lucic told Boston reporters Monday. “Going back to the spray painting of the church and my grandparents and parents and family getting harassed during the final against the Canucks in 2011, it’s escalated to a point where I get attacked for just minding my own business.

“I have no reason left to defend my city and the people in my city. I’m disgusted and outraged that it had to come to something like that. So, as far as that goes, other than being at Rogers Arena, no one will ever see me in downtown Vancouver ever again.”

The worst edges of Vancouver’s fan base have seemed to out-crazy the edges of just about every other place, Montreal included, in recent years. In 2008, his Memorial Cup ring, earned with the Vancouver Giants, was stolen from his parents’ Vancouver home. In 2011, Lucic’s grandparents were showered with popcorn and peanuts during Game 1 of the series, while Johnny Boychuk’s parents were showered with beer; in 2012, his home church, St. Michael’s Serbian Orthodox Church in Burnaby, was vandalized by some cementheads who could spell his name and draw a penis and testicles, but could not quite stick the landing on the spelling of ‘Canucks.’

And then there was the first riot, and the second riot. That the police chief blamed anarchists only added to the humiliation.

What is amazing is how brightly the hatred that burst into being over those seven games in 2011 — the animosity shared by the players, the fans, and some members of each city’s respective media corps, some of whom returned to the Twitter schoolyard Monday — is still burning so brightly.

The Leafs are in a straight free fall. 3 regulation wins in their past 22 games I believe. Their last 30 games they are on pace for a 70 point season. David Clarkson, the 5.25M/year man has 2 goals and 12 games lost to suspension. I don't know how Randy Carlye is keeping his job right now. The media in Toronto seem to be getting rather impatient.

Petr Nedved made the Czech Olympic team? Haha, I haven't thought of his name in a decade, this is bizarre. Hudler with his 34 points was left off.

Team Carter omissions include Claude Giroux, Martin St. Louis, Logan Couture, Joe Thornton and Brent Seabrook. Bubble or surprise players picked include Rick Nash, Jeff Carter, Patrick Marleau and Dan Hamhuis.

Petr Nedved made the Czech Olympic team? Haha, I haven't thought of his name in a decade, this is bizarre. Hudler with his 34 points was left off.

That is a blast from the past, wow.

Leafs won their 6th straight game last night. Can't say I saw any of this coming. They beat the Avalance in Denver last night. Kessel has been on fire lately and the goaltending as been good. This team is so weird. They can easily lose 4 in a row and not even look like an NHL team, then they come back and win 6 in a row.

I guess I don't understand why they had all these other outdoor games. It's a novel concept to have outdoor games, why ruin with such a multitude? Did anyone even know these games were on?

Scrivens made 59 saves for a shutout last night for the Oilers vs the Sharks, it was in one of those rare indoor games.

I guess I don't understand why they had all these other outdoor games. It's a novel concept to have outdoor games, why ruin with such a multitude? Did anyone even know these games were on?

They sold out last night's game I believe, middle of the week in the freezing cold. As long as they make money they'll do them.