hail2mich

GDT: #15 Michigan at Connecticut 9/21/2013

someone is going to have to give me a spectacular reason as to why I can be hopeful about the rest of the year...

someone is going to have to give me a spectacular reason as to why I can be hopeful about the rest of the year...

This..

The defense and the fact that jake Ryan will be back soon..... on offense i dont know could be scary

I'm surprised at how much rope Brady is given Gardner without anyone else taking a snap yet. Kid must be a hell of a practice player! :wink:

Right side of the O line also looks like big problem so far. Last drive for the FG was a microcosm - the runs over left over Lewand worked pretty well, but when they tried to switch up and go right to keep things honest it was mostly trouble.

I don't have a spectacular reason except this team is young. Gardner still doesn't have a full year of starts under his belt and the OL has three new starters. Had they come out tonight and scored a couple of early TDs I am betting they would have played a lot more confidently. Instead they kind of scuffle and become more and more tentative.

I expect them to keep improving.

Talk about limping into your big ten season....

Ask Notre Dame players from last year, a win is a win.

The struggles boil down to one simple thing IMO, turnovers. Gardner is reminding me of Tate Forcier with some of his decisions which is frightening. I also think Borges is a moron most of the time. But that's just me.

This bye week is at a perfect time. I think some changes will be coming to the OL. I also believe the eventual addition of Jake Ryan to the defense will help in a major way.

I just try to keep remembering that the team is very young, and silver lining, they are fighting through mistakes and winning. Even if it's ugly.

Really fun day overall. Of course, it would have been even more fun for us if we had held on for the upset, but the Huskies played by far their best game of the year so far and left us feeling much better about both this team and the program. Michigan fans turned out very well, surpassing the big West Virginia crowds we've had in the past. And all the Michigan fans I encountered were very classy.

It seems like they have really been playing to the competition, which I guess is good with the real season coming up, unless they just are playing to their potential right now against the lower teams.

I can't imagine this team not being prepared 2 weeks in a row, or taking a 2nd opponent lightly. Typically I hold coaches more accountable than players, especially at this level - but in my opinion both of these performances lie squarely on the shoulders of Devin Gardner. I am trying to remember he's a first year starter & has a mostly new line in front of him - but he's missing wide open receivers even when he has time.

I can't imagine this team not being prepared 2 weeks in a row, or taking a 2nd opponent lightly. Typically I hold coaches more accountable than players, especially at this level - but in my opinion both of these performances lie squarely on the shoulders of Devin Gardner. I am trying to remember he's a first year starter & has a mostly new line in front of him - but he's missing wide open receivers even when he has time.

Gardner has made some awful decisions the past two weeks, I agree. Way too many turnovers. Only good thing I can say about it is when they have needed a TD the past two weeks, he has gotten the job done. Other than that, wow its been bad.

Gardner has made some awful decisions the past two weeks, I agree. Way too many turnovers. Only good thing I can say about it is when they have needed a TD the past two weeks, he has gotten the job done. Other than that, wow its been bad.

I just don't have any good feelings about Gardner right now. A lot of physical tools, but they don't seem to be adding up to a QB yet. I thought last year that he mostly had trouble catching up to the speed of the game with his decision making and his throws being too late too often. So this season he has picked up his pace but at the cost of even worse decisions so I'm not sure there has been any net improvement. Last year's Gardner was not good enough but had extenuating circumstance in his defense. This year on net he hasn't shown the improvement he needs to have already made and now he's got to do it in hurry.

I just don't have any good feelings about Gardner right now. A lot of physical tools, but they don't seem to be adding up to a QB yet. I thought last year that he mostly had trouble catching up to the speed of the game with his decision making and his throws being too late too often. So this season he has picked up his pace but at the cost of even worse decisions so I'm not sure there has been any net improvement. Last year's Gardner was not good enough but had extenuating circumstance in his defense. This year on net he hasn't shown the improvement he needs to have already made and now he's got to do it in hurry.

I still see the glass as half full. The OL struggles are compounding some of his problems and the WR/TE crew is inexperienced outside of Gallon. This is also the first year of the non-Denard offense they want to run so that adds to the inexperience. Then there is the general lack of depth with an inordinate number of freshmen and sophomores on the traveling team roster.

This sounds like excuse making but I think it's just reality. They are at least a year away, if not two from churning out guys schooled in and recruited for the Hoke system. 9 wins would be a pretty good season under the circumstances and schedule.

Gardner is suffering from a ridiculous lack of confidence. The worst thing Hoke could do would be to pull him.

They are stuck in two areas: DE and WR. They just don't have any playmakers at either position and that's going to kill them down the stretch. Jake Ryan coming back will be a big help (if he's the same player), but there is no help coming at WR until next year. Gallon is nice, but he's tiny. They have no one to stretch the defense and their big receivers are too young to really do anything.

The interior offensive line can be switched.

All in all, Michigan is still a couple years away before they're back to being a team big and strong enough to compete with the big boys. They need playmakers on offense and for their top DL and OL recruits to get bigger and stronger.

If Gardner can get his mojo back, they should be better next season. And, as a silver lining to all this mess, Gardner will definitely be back next season. He's not going pro any time soon.