RentschlerField4.jpg

#15 Michigan (3-0) at Connecticut (0-2)

MichiganLogo_zpsb990f7a0.png

Day: Saturday

Date: September 21, 2013

Time: 8:00 PM EST

TV: ABC

Series Record: Michigan leads 1-0

Last Week: Michigan defeated Akron, 28-24. Connecticut lost to Maryland, 32-21.

Last Meeting

6kbwQAIR10E

I Hope You're Not Out West!

ncf_8pm130921_ms_576.jpg

If you're not familiar with UConn Football, here's the back story. We were a Yankee Conference Division I-AA team, and at some point somebody got worried that we couldn't make it big time in athletics just as a basketball school, so they wanted to go I-A in football, not anticipating that football would be the death knell of the Big East. We built a new stadium 23 miles west of campus and transitioned into I-A and then the Big East for football. We were actually fairly successful for a while. We went to five bowl games, winning three of them, won a share of two Big East titles, the last of which put us in the Fiesta Bowl to be embarrassed as the best team from a horrible conference. We took a bath financially on it. But most impressive by far was beating Notre Dame at their place.

The moment the Fiesta Bowl ended, Coach Randy Edsall took off to become coach at Maryland, not bothering to tell his players he was leaving. He became public enemy #1 in the state. His surprise replacement was former Syracuse coach Paul Pasqualoni. Since then we've had two mediocre seasons and we've begun this season with embarrassing losses to FCS Towson and our old friend Randy Edsall and Maryland. Pasqualoni is almost certainly gone at the end of the season, if not sooner. Not to mention that fans are still fed up with the unpopular logo change and the accompanying helmets with eyes on the front and nothing on the sides.

Never has there been anywhere near this amount of negativity surrounding UConn Football, or any UConn athletic team for that matter. We expect the Rent to be packed, including the additional stands that have been constructed especially for this game. And we expect a lot of it to be maize and blue. We expect that you guys will absolutely trounce us. But we won't really care, because we'll just be fascinated to see one of the most storied football programs play a game in our state. And because we just use football as an excuse to drink away the time before basketball starts.

Agggh, regional feeds, what!?? Why isn't it the usual ESPN2 mirror thing?

This game is part of the acc contract, which doesn't include the reverse mirror deal the big ten negotiated.

If you're not familiar with UConn Football, here's the back story. We were a Yankee Conference Division I-AA team, and at some point somebody got worried that we couldn't make it big time in athletics just as a basketball school, so they wanted to go I-A in football, not anticipating that football would be the death knell of the Big East. We built a new stadium 23 miles west of campus and transitioned into I-A and then the Big East for football. We were actually fairly successful for a while. We went to five bowl games, winning three of them, won a share of two Big East titles, the last of which put us in the Fiesta Bowl to be embarrassed as the best team from a horrible conference. We took a bath financially on it. But most impressive by far was beating Notre Dame at their place.

The moment the Fiesta Bowl ended, Coach Randy Edsall took off to become coach at Maryland, not bothering to tell his players he was leaving. He became public enemy #1 in the state. His surprise replacement was former Syracuse coach Paul Pasqualoni. Since then we've had two mediocre seasons and we've begun this season with embarrassing losses to FCS Towson and our old friend Randy Edsall and Maryland. Pasqualoni is almost certainly gone at the end of the season, if not sooner. Not to mention that fans are still fed up with the unpopular logo change and the accompanying helmets with eyes on the front and nothing on the sides.

Never has there been anywhere near this amount of negativity surrounding UConn Football, or any UConn athletic team for that matter. We expect the Rent to be packed, including the additional stands that have been constructed especially for this game. And we expect a lot of it to be maize and blue. We expect that you guys will absolutely trounce us. But we won't really care, because we'll just be fascinated to see one of the most storied football programs play a game in our state. And because we just use football as an excuse to drink away the time before basketball starts.

Thanks, nice write-up. Helpful.

Wow. There will be a lot of PO'd Michigan fans and alums west of the mississippi.

Yeah, it looks like you would need to order the espn gameplan package to get the game. I guess you can order it for a single day.

This might be the first non national game michigan has played in since the btn started back in 2007.

Yeah the ACC coverage is bs. Imvsure this was negotiated before Dave Brandon took over.

Regardless, shame. Shame on you for scheduling this butt hole of a team in a screwball conference.

I hope the people who made the decisions that led to me not being able to watch this game on TV suffer flat tires and long lines and all other manners of misfortune.

Michigan forces a three and out. Good call by Mattison on third down.

Gardner needs to get straightened out right now. It's all in his head, he's just way too tentative right now.

Have they called one play action pass? With so many in the box I think that should be in the playbook.

No hard sells. A couple plays where Gardner held the ball out like a handoff, but it's pretty much a half-assed play action.

Playcalling has been very timid so far, and that is not going to help an offense regain confidence.

I'm moving into an official state of confusion about this team.

Am I under valuing our opponents? Is our offense really this....putrid?

I just don't know.

This offense is terrible right now. Gardner can't make a throw. He's playing scared and aiming his throws. I don't even want to talk about the interior line...